Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this 1 owner 220k mile Sable with a bad engine for about a year, and have finally found a deal on a salvage yard engine to put in it. 120k on the engine, a bit higher than I'd have liked, but I couldn't beat the price.

What should I do to it before I put it in? Timing chain guides, tensioner, and water pump? Any idler bearings on the belt system or other things that would be easy while it's apart? I'm planning to drop the whole cradle/subframe and service the transmission while it's apart.

Previous owner had a shop do chain guides or some such on the original engine, about 10k before the engine died. It looked like pieces of the guides had clogged the oil pickup screen. Not pretty.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Did you purchase the engine yet? If not, I've got a Duratec plus AX4N with 112K on it that has NO mechanical issues. I'm selling the whole shebang for a very good price.

I wouldn't trust that engine without rebuilding it, not knowing if there were any oil starvation issues as a result of blocked oil passages.

JR

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you purchase the engine yet? If not, I've got a Duratec plus AX4N with 112K on it that has NO mechanical issues. I'm selling the whole shebang for a very good price.

I wouldn't trust that engine without rebuilding it, not knowing if there were any oil starvation issues as a result of blocked oil passages.

JR
[/b]
The engine that's in the car (220k+ miles) is what had the clogged oil pickup. It had new rod bearings put in it and the pickup cleaned, ran for another 15-20 miles or so and then was losing oil pressure so has been parked since then.

The "new" engine is guaranteed by the salvage yard that's selling it. Have committed to buy it but money hasn't changed hands yet... Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

JR
[/b]
The engine that's in the car (220k+ miles) is what had the clogged oil pickup. It had new rod bearings put in it and the pickup cleaned, ran for another 15-20 miles or so and then was losing oil pressure so has been parked since then.

The "new" engine is guaranteed by the salvage yard that's selling it. Have committed to buy it but money hasn't changed hands yet... Sent you a PM.
[/b][/quote]

I'd put a new alternator in. Mine is going and it is not cheap/easy to do.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
[/b]

Good suggestion.

If the old engine has newer timing components, move them to the newer engine. Use the Ford manual to time the cams, or search for one of my write up threads. It's a straight forward job but guys often screw it up.

You might disassemble the water pump and inspect the impeller. Probably a good idea to replace the oil pan gasket too, esp. if you take the front cover off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Good suggestion.

If the old engine has newer timing components, move them to the newer engine. Use the Ford manual to time the cams, or search for one of my write up threads. It's a straight forward job but guys often screw it up.

You might disassemble the water pump and inspect the impeller. Probably a good idea to replace the oil pan gasket too, esp. if you take the front cover off.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the heads up, with 220+k on the alternator I'll see what my parts store friends can do for me, providing that the replacement engine doesn't have one still attached.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts