Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've decided to go to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA for our family vacation. We will be driving there from Detroit, MI area...

Anybody have any suggestions for places to stop along the way, and some awesome things to do once in VA?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I went to Busch Gardens up there it was a very nice change from the ghetto Tampa area, not to mention cheaper lol. Very sceneric with coasters blending with tall trees. When you go up top on Griffon, you'll get a view of NAVY battleships and the brewery before plumeting 205 ft! I even rented a Taurus for that weekend btw.

Other places i don't know much but there's Jamestown which I should've went.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You will very much enjoy Busch Gardens. I live 30 mins from the park, so we take trips there at least every other weekend during the summer.

If waterparks are your thing, check out Water Country USA. I haven't been in years, but it was a great park and can only have gotten better. I believe there is a way you can purchase a 2-day pass, one day at the Gardens and one day at the Country.

Obviously there's the brewery, and Williamsburg is just an attractive area to begin with. There are a few malls that are gorgeous that you should indeed visit.

Unfortunately I can't think of too much else off the top of my head. Now if you wanna come down to the beach, I can show ya around 8)

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,404 Posts
You might enjoy the historic Williamsburg area if you are into history at all. The Navy base at Norfolk is not too far a drive...being a Navy vet I'm kind of partial to that stuff :salute: ..there might be a carrier in port..I'm not sure if you can tour the base anymore..but either way the Carriers and Cruisers and Submarines are something to see.

I don't know which way you are driving down but the drive around the belt parkway in DC. is nice as you can see some of the monuments and stuff from the highway.
If you get a chance also drive to the oceanfront like Virginia Beach..it is something that not everyone can do in their lifetime.

Virginia beach is quite nice.too They have a nice boardwalk that goes the entire length of the city, with a lot of shops and stuff..and some good pizza, too!! YES..I spent quite a few weekends there while in the Navy and I lived there for a year, too.. one block from the ocean!!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
QUOTE (don2775 @ Jun 30 2009, 03:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=736061
You might enjoy the historic Williamsburg area if you are into history at all. The Navy base at Norfolk is not too far a drive...being a Navy vet I'm kind of partial to that stuff :salute: ..there might be a carrier in port..I'm not sure if you can tour the base anymore..but either way the Carriers and Cruisers and Submarines are something to see.

I don't know which way you are driving down but the drive around the belt parkway in DC. is nice as you can see some of the monuments and stuff from the highway.
If you get a chance also drive to the oceanfront like Virginia Beach..it is something that not everyone can do in their lifetime.

Virginia beach is quite nice.too They have a nice boardwalk that goes the entire length of the city, with a lot of shops and stuff..and some good pizza, too!! YES..I spent quite a few weekends there while in the Navy and I lived there for a year, too.. one block from the ocean!![/b]

When I was 13 I lived in Va Beach. Atlantic Ave and 36th, right on the boardwalk. Where did you live?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Depends which way you're going. There is always Gettysburg to tour.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
On the topic of Navy sights, there's the Nauticus Maritime Museum in Norfolk, due south of Naval Station Norfolk. They have some great interactive exhibits, meant for families to enjoy together. They've also got the WWII era Iowa-class battleship USS Wisconsin (BB-64) in a semi-permanent berth. It's technically in reserve status pending an order for mobilization back into the Navy, but I doubt it's going anywhere in the next few months. :p You should be able to go on a tour of the main deck from within Nauticus. And yes, Naval Station Norfolk also has a public tour being offered. Web links to both places are posted below. And the old Jamestown settlement is a great place to visit, too. Enjoy your trip. :thumb:

Nauticus Maritime Museum- Official Site

NS Norfolk Visitors Info

1 - 7 of 7 Posts