Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Heres the thing, I just bought some CDT speakers and they are too deep for the stock install in the doors and I was told they wouldnt sound very good there anyways. I want to know where I should mount my speakers in my 93' Taurus LX. I have some pictures just to refresh some minds of what the inside of the car looks like. I was told kick panels would be the best but I will need to know how to build them or where I can get some for cheap. Heres the pics:

http://myweb.cableone.net/ak32/car/door.jpg' alt='' width='1600' height='1200' class='attach' />[/url]

[url=http://myweb.cableone.net/ak32/car/dash.jpg][img]http://myweb.cableone.net/ak32/car/dash.jpg' alt='' width='1600' height='1200' class='attach' />[/url]

·
Registered
933 Posts
they would sound fine in your doors. the kick panels are awesome, but...that's where I put my feel when I drive! if you really want to make it sound good, try to locate just the woofer component in that location, and place the tweeters up higher and closer to you. my dad bought some replacements for a couple of square shaped panels up on the dash near the windshild to mount his in, be mounted them under the panels and cut a hole for the sound to get out, and stretched some speaker grill cloth over top of it. matched the interior and everything, really looked sharp. that is only if you have a component set...if the speakers are coaxial then you have no choice but to keep them together.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by Apoc@Oct 13 2004, 11:18 PM
thanks, is that the best/easiest way to build a set of kicks?
Well, opinions will differ, but I think it's a good way. If the kicks are constructed and designed properly, they won't take up much space - mine are not in the way at all, but that will depend on how you use the space on the floor as well. You will also get much better imaging and midbass response from kicks than you will with the drivers in the doors.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
You ought to replace that door handle. Looks like the spring is broken.......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that whole door panel is off right now.....staying that way until I figure out how to mount the speakers. My speaks are a component set so I can mount the tweets wherever I want. Will they sound better if I mount mids in kicks and the tweets up on the frame above the dash? Also, do you have some pics of your dads install? It is getting close to snow season here in Iowa and I am wondering if a set of kicks is the best idea or not...

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Try putting the drivers in different places and see what sounds best to you.

Personally, I like having the tweeters close to woofer and aimed exactly the same direction. This puts them two drivers in phase (or close to it anyway) and allows the different frequencies each driver reproduces to reach your ears at approximately the same time (time correction on a head unit will help with this also). Having the tweeters and mids in kick panels puts both sets of drivers at distances that are more equal than they would be at any other location, and allows you to aim them however you want - on and off axis response varies from driver to driver.

Just my $0.02. Like I said, put them in different places and see what sounds good to you because thats all that really matters in your own car :thumb:

btw, which set of CDT speakers did you get?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have CL 62i's for the front and CL6x's for the rears.

Also, still about the weather, what am I going to do to prevent the speakers from getting damaged when the snow starts?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
You can buy protectants for speaker cones that will protect them from water damage, this is what's applied to outdoor speakers.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
The Wet Look should work. Now, this doesn't mean you should dowse your cones in water, but if you should get some snow on them, they should be ok.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts