Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I have an 02 that has been sitting (minus battery) for 3 years. It will need gas, and I will check the oil (since it always leaked) and a battery.

It ran fine last it was driven. What should I check, what tips to getting it running after sitting for so long?

Thanks!

Max

·
Registered
261 Posts
Before pouring gas into it, you might crank the engine over for ten seconds or so to get oil circulating before starting it.
If you want to get all hard-core about it, there's a thread on here somewhere about how you can pump oil through the engine before cranking it - the term is 'pre-oiling', a process often used on big, expensive engines....
Some folks will pull plugs and valve covers and squirt oil into the cyls and over the valve train after a long period in storage.
Another hard-core trick: drain the oil and heat it up close to its operating temp, then pour it into the engine and crank it over — a good idea if you're doing all this in the winter cold.
However, three years isn't all that long, so it might be good to go. Oil and coolant change after getting it running.
Your call....

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SES Sedan in Chestnut
192 Posts
Mine sat for a few more years than yours, when I first started it, it shut down after about 30secs to a minute, then the PCM reprogrammed itself and the car was fine after that, definitely change oil and coolant then make sure you are not leaking or burning any fluids and you are good to go. Good Luck

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Mine sat for a few more years than yours, when I first started it, it shut down after about 30secs to a minute, then the PCM reprogrammed itself and the car was fine after that, definitely change oil and coolant then make sure you are not leaking or burning any fluids and you are good to go. Good Luck
I bought my mother's '92 Sable Essex that sat outside for 4 years. ( in '02 so 10 year old car) My brother had removed the battery and used in on some farm equipment.
When her estate was being settled, I bought it for $800. 50K miles. Only issue of concern, OE tires rotted bad. Daughter had same car and had blown engine. We took the tires/wheels from that and put it on this car, can of gas, fresh battery. Ran 700 miles to her house. No time to change fluids until later. No issues. Some time later, was totaled in a wreck.
-chart-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts