Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get my '03 silver SES tinted all around. No more than 35% in the front due to legal reasons. What would you recommend for the rear? I want it dark, but not too dark. I would like it to look factory. Kind of like what SUV's and minivans come with stock. What percentage would you say that is? thanks for any input. Also, if you could recommend any good tining places on the south side of chicago, that would be great too!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I would go with 5% in the rear and 35% up front...maybe a little lighter, but along the same proportions...maybe 15% rear and 45% front...

JR

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not sure what your law is up there but down here the max for a rear window is 20%, 35% for the sides. Might want to check if there is a rear window restriction for you too.
Robert

G

·
Originally posted by beamout@Jul 12 2004, 03:31 PM
...down here the max for a rear window is 20%, 35% for the sides. Might want to check if there is a rear window restriction for you too.
Robert
What? :eek: what state are you in? I can't believe it! I'm in california.. in California are NO restrictions for any windows but the windshield and both front windows.

:lol2: finaly there are more harsh laws outside of california

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am in Texas and when I checked the website that has all the state laws on it I am almost sure there was a back window restriction. Maybe I am totally screwed up but that wouldn't be the first time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would go 20% all around, but I dont want to risk a ticket for having the front tinted. The IL law says there can be NO tint on the front windows so I am taking a risk at even 35%. How dark is 35% anyway? And when people get all around tints, do they usually get the windsheld tinted as well?

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
In indiana you can't have darker then 35% all around (and none on the front windshield of course) But i'm still getting 15% this thursday. It's not as nice as 5% but still nice and dark.

Originally posted by atomic3@Jul 12 2004, 04:38 PM
I would go 20% all around, but I dont want to risk a ticket for having the front tinted. The IL law says there can be NO tint on the front windows so I am taking a risk at even 35%. How dark is 35% anyway? And when people get all around tints, do they usually get the windsheld tinted as well?
When most people say all around they mean all windows except the front, but it never hurts to clarify like i did above. ;)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I New Jersey, I don't think there are any restrictions on the tint in the rear windows, but the front windows and the windshield can't have ANY tint at all. A friend of mine had a CRX with very light tint on the windshield and the front windows and got pulled over while I was in the car. The cop made us pull the tint off, and gave him an insane ticket, like $100+. Can't wait to move out of Jersey....

JR

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jul 13 2004, 06:06 AM
I New Jersey, I don't think there are any restrictions on the tint in the rear windows, but the front windows and the windshield can't have ANY tint at all. A friend of mine had a CRX with very light tint on the windshield and the front windows and got pulled over while I was in the car. The cop made us pull the tint off, and gave him an insane ticket, like $100+. Can't wait to move out of Jersey....

JR
Damn man that sucks. I've never heard of a cop making you tear the tint off, just giving you a ticket for it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
...in California are NO restrictions for any windows...

Well, there is the restriction of having two outside rear view mirrors, if I recall correctly. One could *paint* the window then.

With one outside mirror, there is only a seven inch square area that can be blocked.

As I don't ever want to end up pulling tint off a window, I'd go no darker than the law allows. If you get a ticket, you have to pull it off anyway to clear it in court, or swap out the windows. Or get a friendly cop or court official to sign it off even though you won't correct it. But only an idiot would do that for you. (And no friend would ask an idiot to do so.)

Somebody here says they have their windshield and their girlfriend's windshield tinted 50%, to help drive safely at night and have some "privacy". Cracked me up. I say stay home or get a chauffer and a limo tint if you want "privacy" on the public roadways.

Getting the back tinted *dark* could be a problem at night. Backing up would be a real problem in tight areas.

Some cars (not all) look good with tinted windows, and that's probably about the biggest motivating factor for a lot of people. (Anybody see Night Shift with Micheal Keaton?) Keeping down heat and and interior fade are a real consideration, though. And it's all fine in the daytime, but people who overdo it and cruise around (or just drive to and from work) *are* asking for trouble.

I'm trying do decide between 20% and 35% for the rear and rear side windows. (A "doctors note" in CA only gets you 88%. For "light sensitivity" (LOL) you're better off with good sun glasses.)

Whatever you decide, be a grownup about it. You know what's legal and what isn't. If you decide to break the law, don't whine if you get caught. You're in a 3000+ lb. vehicle, and with that comes a lot of responsibility.

Step up.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I had an "eyebrow" which is a 4" strip put on my windshield and it makes driving in the sun much easier.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Originally posted by RAMdrd@Jul 15 2004, 03:16 PM
A "doctors note" in CA only gets you 88%. For "light sensitivity" (LOL) you're better off with good sun glasses.
That's it?

Anyone have any info on what a doctor's note can do for you in Michigan? I have an appointment tomorrow, and was going to ask the doc about it.

My eyes are actually light sensitive, so I am not really trying to scam anything. I use sunglasses, but occasionally forget them.

I don't even want a dark tint. Mostly because I don't want to get stopped by the police a lot, even if I can just show my note to him. I'm not very familiar with the %s, but I was guessing that 60-70% would make me happy.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
No state allows tint on the windshield.

If you live in IL, I wouldn't mess with tint on the front windows. I know that where I live (Kankakee area) the cops are very strict on it and will give you a ticket AND make you pull it off.

EDIT: I have quoted alot of places, and pacesetter has been the best price I can find, at $120 for the rears and rear windshield on a GIII. They also do very good work.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I'm sure Ram is referring to me as the person who needs a "chauffer". :rolleyes:

If you have never had dark tint, or even driven in a car with it how can you be such an expert on it?

I'm going 5% on the rear window, 20% on the sides, and 50% on the ENTIRE WINDSHIELD. I dont care if you dont like it or what you think. It IS NOT DANGEROUS AT NIGHTTIME. It makes it safer to drive at night due to the reduction of headlight glare from retards who cant aim their lights correctly. Having misaimed and/or weak headlights is tons more detrimental to nighttime vision than 50% tint. :rolleyes:

I had 5% limo on the back windows, 35% on the front doors, and 50% on the windshield of my taurus and I loved it. It was also attracting to cops because it was the reflective mirror style. I have an eye disorder which I am in the process of getting an endorsement on my license for window tint, so I have a need for it.

I would agree with you if someone put on 20% on the winshield, but 50% is not that dark at all. Its just enough to cut down glare significantly, even during the blinding winter months.

Just whatever you do get a quality tint film and make sure its applied correctly. Going cheap usually means it'll peel or fade sooner rather than later.

G

·
Does anyone know the PA laws for tint?

i want the darkest legally allowed.. if the darkest is really light than I wont even bother putting tint on.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Anyone have any info on what a doctor's note can do for you in Michigan?

You can consult your states Vehicle Code for that information, Statute MCL 257.709:
http://198.109.173.11/mileg.asp?page=getObject&objName=mcl-257-709&highlight=

and the Michigan State Police:

Traffic Related Frequently Asked Questions

TINTED WINDOWS
Question: Can I have tinted windows on my vehicle?

Answer: The law that covers window applications is MCL 257.709. The use of tinting is limited to the rear side windows, the rear window if the vehicle has outside mirrors on both sides, and the top 4 inches of the front side windows. There is a limited exception for medical necessity with a doctor's prescription, which allows for tinting to be applied to the front side windows as well. Michigan does not have a specification for the darkness of the window application, but does prohibit applications with a solar reflectivity greater than 35%.
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1...73839--,00.html

I had an "eyebrow" which is a 4" strip put on my windshield and it makes driving in the sun much easier.

I'm considering the same. I'd like to find a gradient tint, so the effect is similar to OEM, just a little wider and darker.

I have an appointment tomorrow, and was going to ask the doc about it.

If you don't mind, let us know how that turned out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts