Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I step on the gas hard, and put the engine under a load my car makes that sound like your engine makes when it's over heating, but my temp gauge is right in the middle between hot and cold. Help me out guys what could this be?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's like a knocking sound (louder than a valve tap though)..

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
suggestions for stopping the pinging?

I have a vulcan, i have to run premium, or the pinging happens.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes I have vulcan, so this rattling /knocking /pinging sound is from the gas. I've been running regular 87 octane. So I have to burn this gas out and try premium huh?

·
Registered
746 Posts
one suggestion that might help a little(dont know if anyone has tried it or not), when you drive just step on WOT for a while, let the engine rev up to red line. this could help break down some of the carbon deposits. you might have to red line a couple times before you notice a difference.

that may or may not help the problem.

·
Registered
887 Posts
search the archives for "92 octane".....we discussed this thoroughly....the short of it is that some ping/knock is normal for many Vulcan's when using 87 octane (according to Ford's technical service buletin).....

if this is something new for your car though, then this may indicate a problem, but if it's always been there, there's probably nothing worng

my solution (as suggested by my Ford service dept.) is to run 89 octane.....

·
Banned
509 Posts
Originally posted by dIESEL600@Feb 29 2004, 05:55 PM
let me guess, you have a vulcan...
HOW DARE YOU SPEAL ILL OF DA VULCAN!

I have NEVER had a problem with pinging on my Vulcan, maybe because it is a FFV.. *shrugs*

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by FatTortoise+Mar 1 2004, 02:14 PM-->QUOTE (FatTortoise @ Mar 1 2004, 02:14 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-dIESEL600
@Feb 29 2004, 05:55 PM
let me guess, you have a vulcan...
HOW DARE YOU SPEAL ILL OF DA VULCAN!

I have NEVER had a problem with pinging on my Vulcan, maybe because it is a FFV.. *shrugs*

[/b]
Relax chief, I used to have a Vulcan myself, I am not knocking them, even though they knock, lol. Seriously though this is a common issue with them, though I know there are plenty out there that run fine on 87 octane.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
When I was reading up on porting and polishing, I saw that one of things these guys look for when doing the heads are hot spots in the combustion chamber. They said hot spots usually cause ping and you can usually get rid of it by porting and polishing the heads. It's kind of an expensive fix, but maybe you guys with money might want to look into this.

·
Registered
148 Posts
How can you determine if it is pinging or there is something wrong?

Mine just starting doing this in the nicer weather it seems bad though. I mean when mines doing it it seems as rod knock but it only does it under load and not when idling when revving the gas?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by gtx2000@Mar 1 2004, 03:08 PM
How can you determine if it is pinging or there is something wrong?

Mine just starting doing this in the nicer weather it seems bad though. I mean when mines doing it it seems as rod knock but it only does it under load and not when idling when revving the gas?
Sounds like spark knock pinging to me, it is much more common in warmer weather and happens with the engine under load (accelerating, climbing hills, etc.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so what the fix for the spark knock Diesel600? new plugs?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
have You guys heard of Tune Up In A Bottle? This older guy told me about it when I told him about the pinging that I was having. well guess what no more pinging, and my car as pep like you wouldn't believe, it's suppose to clean and lubricate.. i think it did something..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Todays gas is supposed to prevent carbon buildup, but dosen't seem to. The oldest way to get rid of carbon is to dribble water into the intake while the motor is running. If you slip and dump to much then hydrolock will occur or to much carbon can break loose at once and clog the valve. Just right and the cumdustion chambers look brand new. This is a little hard to do given the long horizontil intakes of today.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Originally posted by barnz67@Mar 1 2004, 10:55 AM
yes I have vulcan, so this rattling /knocking /pinging sound is from the gas. I've been running regular 87 octane. So I have to burn this gas out and try premium huh?
Nooooooo dont use 87. That is why it is knocking. The burning ratios are off for combustion are off. Use Premium

B

·
0 Posts
Part of the problem on the Gen 3 Vulcans is also the bypass kit for the cooling system. Make sure that was installed. Basically, without it, the rear head gets hotter than the front head, and causes pinging, amongst other things.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts