Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been beaten to death, but when I went to search, I didn't find anything on what size tires would work for a 17 inch rim. Thanks for any replies other than use search because I'm not a noob and I did use search.

S

·
0 Posts
I've heard the term "Roll Fenders" but Im not positive on exactly what it is.. or how to do it. Bob, do you have some pics?

Sal

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I have a pic on what was done, but I will try to explain. Where the rear fender ends on the body the metal goes inward somewhat and then stops about 1" in. To "roll" the fender to get more clearence you make radius cuts along that 1" part of the metal that goes into the wheel well. Next you hammer the lip flush to the fender.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Another method to roll the inside fender lip is to put a pipe or bar on the tire, between the lip and the tire.

Put it on the rear of the tire, and have someone drive the car forward very slowly. The bar is pulled forward and rolls the lip up and usually gives a very smooth edge.

Done slowly, with two or three passes, much room can be gained with a very smooth finish.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Originally posted by RAMdrd@Oct 17 2004, 10:07 PM
Another method to roll the inside fender lip is to put a pipe or bar on the tire, between the lip and the tire.

Put it on the rear of the tire, and have someone drive the car forward very slowly. The bar is pulled forward and rolls the lip up and usually gives a very smooth edge.

Done slowly, with two or three passes, much room can be gained with a very smooth finish.
That method doesn't work too well with the rear fenders on the Taurus without make relief cuts on the edge. I paid a body shop to do the rolling for $80. They used a hammer and shoe to make sure the outside of the body remained smooth.

Bob

·
Registered
60 Posts
Best tire for looks and functionality would be a 225/50/17. They will give you a verry good ride and still give you the low profile look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts