Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah... I bought Dave's wheels.

Now, what size tire would be best? I looked at the Encyclopedia but I only saw tire sizes up to 1999.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
if i remember right tirerack.com has a tire size calculator so you can get tires the same diameter as your stock ones

edit i tried to find it but idk where to find it anyway the stock gen 4 size is 215/60 and when you type in a 97 taurus gl it comes up with the stock 15 size then below it says custom size for a 16 inch rim and i would assume this is basically a tire size calculator and it came up with 215/55, i also looked up the stock size for a 97 SHO and came up with 225/55 as stock. it is kinda a personal preference though you could go with the SHO size for a tiny bit better hanling cause it is going to be a bit wider but not too tall of a sidewall or you could go with gen 4 factory size if you are going to buy used cause they should be plentifull (most mid to late 90's gm cars used the same size on their 16 inch rims, I.E. grandprix, lumina etc.) or you could go with the custom size to make sure your speedo, odo, etc. are dead on

and please anyone correct me if i am wrong i am by no means a tire expert! lol

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
It's about time you got those rims Sean!!! :thumb:

I'd personally go with 215 60 16.
I only get my clip weight (not the sticky tape way) on the inside .

The area under the weight really gets messed up by these MI winters too.
The rims looks a lot cleaner (and easier to clean) with no outside weights.
Never had a problem with balancing them. :)

Let's see some pics of those rims cleaned up!!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would 195/55/16's be way too small? and if not, what effect would it have on handling/ride quality?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
they would probably fit but they are kinda skinny, maybe ok for winter tires in the winter but they will have less contact with the road the more contact you can get the better it is for handling (also depends on the tire but for the most part) i would recomend a wider tire especially if you are going to auto-x on them

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Continental ContiProContact SSR
195/55/16 All-season RunFlats

I won't be autocrossing on them but I'm not exactly a grandma-style driver on the roads.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
The speedometer will read almost 5mph fast. IMHO, those are too small. The load rating is lower too (87, vs. 94 or 95 for most 215/60R16s). They'd give you HUGE fender gap.

Those are really expensive for what they are, too...$141/each? You can get the same tires (minus the SSR on the end, whatever that means, maybe the speed rating - they have the same pictures and description on TireRack), for $77/ea...that's a little more than half price. You even get to keep the free GPS offer :lol2:

For $141 in 215/60R16s, you'd be getting some pretty snazzy street tires. Granted, you lose the 149mph V speed rating, but the T-rated stock-sized tires are still rated for faster than your car can go (118mph). This is, of course, assuming you actually want to pay money for Continentals :p

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
215-55 would look good. Those 195's would look TINY on a Taurus, especially at stock ride height.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
195/55-16s would be a bad idea IMO.

I wouldn't even think of going narrower than a 205 (which would be a 205/60-16 for you).

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Don't do it Sean!! :eek:
Go 215!! :)

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whoa calm down everybody. I won't get those tires lol. Somebody from my autocross club has a full set for sale for like $100 so I figured it was worth looking into.

I can't afford to buy tires myself (a few weeks buying the wheels I started having money problems BAD, don't ask.), so I've been trying to convince Dad to find me some cheap (lightly) used ones at work and I don't even think he's looking for them cause I ask him once a week and he just says 16" tires are hard to find.

But when my friend needed two 16" tires, he got a matching pair for free in 2 days... :sigh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts