Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know what size (lbs) the fuel injectors are in the 98 SE Duratec. I read around and saw some where that are 19lbers. At the same time, I'm trying to get a chip made for my car. And Alberto (americanmotorsport) is having a little trouble finding out what size they are. He belives they are 24lbs (I'm not sure why <_< ).

Please people help me and Alberto out with this info

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am not having trouble finding out what size they are. I wanted clarification. You wrote down had 19#ers. The EEC is programmed for 24#ers stock, so I was wondering if you changed injectors to a smaller size or what?

B

·
0 Posts
Injectors were not changed in this car. They are the stock 24 lb.

To all the Tec people that didn't believe me- Ha! Told you so!

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Whoa! The stock injectors are 24#? Holy Crap! I though we had 14 for the non-FFV vulcans, 19 for the 'tecs, and 24 for the FFV vulcans. In all honesty, it makes much more sence because with the calculations we've done in the past, we found that 19 lbs would barely be enough to support the 200 HP application the tecs have stock, let alone any modification. IIRC, 24# injectors should support close to 300 HP applications. Man, seams to be all you really need for forced induction would be a better fuel pump and your supercharger system. The stock fuel system should be able to handle the extra air.

Alberto, I assume if you looked you'd find my car was also programmed for 24# injectors?

-Dan

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yeah, you have 24#ers to. But if you go with Forrced induciton, you WILL need larger ones. When you are ready to build your system, we can discuss what I'd like you to have on it in terms of an appropiate fuel system, MAF, etc. if you want.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Well just don't dissappear on me then because it's going to be a year or so before I have the 3K+ to spend getting my car supercharged... unless you think we can do it for less.

-Dan

·
Registered
437 Posts
Originally posted by dant98@Mar 4 2004, 04:18 PM
Well just don't dissappear on me then because it's going to be a year or so before I have the 3K+ to spend getting my car supercharged... unless you think we can do it for less.

-Dan
I'll be around. Yes it might cost around that.

Before there was a Vortech kit for my car I did mine for like $1,700 but I got a lot of free parts, did the fabbing myself and didn't have to "make" too many tubes or brackets. The bracket actually rqyired little modification itself.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
24# should support up to 250+ whp, if im not mistaken, so even F/I you should be fine (pressing your luck, but fine)

Brad

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Originally posted by americanmotorsport.com+Mar 5 2004, 12:05 AM-->QUOTE (americanmotorsport.com @ Mar 5 2004, 12:05 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-dant98
@Mar 4 2004, 04:18 PM

-Dan
I'll be around. Yes it might cost around that.

Before there was a Vortech kit for my car I did mine for like $1,700 but I got a lot of free parts, did the fabbing myself and didn't have to "make" too many tubes or brackets. The bracket actually rqyired little modification itself. [/b]
I'm thinking That when I'm ready, I could get a used supercharger off eBay for around $500. I'll need a custom jack shaft, custom brackets, and custom piping, and custom pully. I assume you'd reccommend 36# injectors, and a hight lph fuel pump. I hear some need to add FPR's when using force induction. I think I heard you need to use copper plugs too because the platinum plugs can melt? I think I'll have to do a battery relocation to fit the SC in place. I would assume given the layout of the engine bay, you'd reccomend a centrifigul charger?

-Dan

B

·
0 Posts
There was a kit like that on Ebay a while back, for a Tec Taurus. Thing is, it's hard to tell if it would actually fit or not without seeing it on the car. Supposedly, the person had it custom made for their car, and then took it off. Seemed kinda weird to me.

Dan, that seems like a good plan for the supercharger. I also saw a SHO recently that had the SC mounted on the belt side of the engine, with the tubing routed under the car, and back up to the intake. That was pretty slick because none of the tubing showed. I didn't look, but I'd bet the tubing that went under the front of the car was routed through an intercooler too. You couldn't see the tubing under the car, so it was a pretty stealthy install, except for the blower whine.

Just use some careful selection on the supercharger. From what I understand, on a centrifugal setup, there's different gear ratios available, to control when the boost comes in. Also, there are wear items that cost a bit to replace. The important thing is to not get yourself in a situation where you've spent almost as much for a used unit, gear changes, and rebuilding than it would have cost to buy new.

My opinion? If it could be done (and I think it could) the Tec would be better off with a Roots type blower such as an M90, or the newer model GTP Eaton blower. Roots blowers tend to add to bottom end torque, which is where the Duratec suffers the most.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
You'd need to modify the hood and manifold to fit a roots blower on, unless you're going to make a custom collector to mount on the roots and run piping to the intake. Just seems that without a custom hood/manifold, the centrifigul charger would be easier. And for pressure, I thought you just selected the appropriate pully size that you'd put on the end of your jack shaft.

-Dan

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
hey can somebody get me the part number. I have a hunch that ford changed to 24 lb. injectors after the 97 model year. which would explain why DeltarMN and venom's duratecs have the power that they and mine which has about the same mods does not.

the part # would clear alot of things up since i have my 96 to run the # with.

thanks in advance,

Jarod

·
Registered
437 Posts
Injector size has nothing to do with power...i.e. in the sense that by having a larger injector, all else being equal, you will not get more power.

The cars I said have 24#ers...

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
The DURATECS we now know have 24# now. We think the Vulcans have 14# or possibly 19# for the non-FFV. The FFV vulcans also have 24# injectors.

-Dan

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry guys I have to disagree. check the part numbers on your injectors.
I have looked at two duratec engines and the injector size. Both sets were 19# injectors.
So go get the part number off it, and then look up the ratings.
levi

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I forgot to mention that I have already modified my car.

My injectors are Blue.

A.M., I am not saying that they give you more power by just having them. I am saying that because those vehicles already are equipped with 24# injectors so there stock injectors can support more power.

you probably already know this but to produce 1 HP you need to supply the motor with half of a pound of fuel so if you do the math 19 # injectors will only support 228 hp and that is saying that the injectors are actually running at 100% duty cycle. For 24# injectors they will support 288 hp at 100% duty cycle. You can safley say that the injectors probably only go to about 95%.

I do agree with you that just adding the injectors will not increase HP but since i have already modified my vehicle, i probably have surpassed the 19# injectors HP limit.

If i were to have you tune my PCM (since I can't get a custom program out of Diablo) for 24# injectors then i could probably gain a little more HP, Probably not a big gain (maybe 5 hp) but still a gain and more room for improvement.

thanks,

Jarod Adams

·
Registered
437 Posts
sablerider, read what I wrote in this post:

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...91&hl=0\.6

That is how you you calculate the fuel needed. I also wrote somewhere in that same thread about the duty cycle stuff...

By my calculations, 19#ers in a 6 cylinder (because it matters how many cylinders you have for calculating this stuff out) will support 219BHP or 186 at the wheels and 24#ers will support 277BHP or 236 at the wheels for an n/a car. This is using the injector rated at 42.5 but ran at a 39.5psi which all Ford fuel systems are. For aftermarket injectors, remember they are rated at 42.5 so this must be taken into account. For a blown car, these numbers will be different (read less) because of the higher brake-specific fuel coeefficient. You cannot make blankety statemsntabotu producing 1hp per half a pound of fuel. You need to consder all of the things I detailed in my equation. Regarding the 100% duty cycle stuff,read what I wrote in that other post...people always get hung up on this.

What did you do that you think you surpassed the 19# limit?? If I hcnage the cvlaues in teh EEC for the 24#ers it will simply make A/f right. To add power, I change other stuff. You do not pick up power from changing the injectors unless you pick up power from getting the rigth a/f vs being rich or lean.

theman21, the Duratec's DO have 24#ers. I am looking at the actual values in the EEC...at least for the two years I specified in this thread. I can look up any others.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts