Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have the owners manual for this car so can somebody tell me what size bulbs I need for the light bar on a 93 Sable.

·
Registered
397 Posts
any auto parts store would have that info readily available, they usually have a book close to the bulbs.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Taurus uses 9007, not sure if they are similar or not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi: The Motorcraft replacement halogen bulb for the laser light bar is stocked at a Ford/Mercury dealer as part # CLB 2040 it is used on the Mercury Sable years 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995. There are 4 of them required in the light bar.

Replacement instructions:
1. Allow bulb to cool.
2. Disconnect power cord from back of housing. Turn base counter-clockwise and withdraw from housing. Dispose of used bulb with care, this is a halogen bulb and is gas pressurized.
3. When installing the halogen bulb do not touch the glass with your fingers, hold the bulb firmly with a small cloth. Install replacement bulb by grasping plastic base and inserting into plasdtic cavity. Base must be matched to cavity shape when inserting. When fully inserted, twist gently but firmly clockwise to lock in place.
4. Reconnect power cord.

Hope this helps...good luck

·
Registered
99 Posts
Originally posted by TrueBlue@Feb 16 2004, 11:55 AM
Taurus uses 9007, not sure if they are similar or not.
Not entirely true, if memory serves me.

Taurus and Sable for the 1992 model year up to the current model year use 9007 bulbs.

Taurus and Sable models for the 1985-1991 model years use 9004. - Reinhart

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just checked at my local advanced auto store, for the bulb that the book shows to use is over $7.00 a piece! I had read on another posting here that 168 bulbs would fit, they are a heck of a lot cheaper, but the guy at the parts store says that the bulb that the book shows is a halogen bulb, and the 168 is not a halogen bulb so it wouldn't work. I'm sure not willing to pay $7.00 a piece for a tiny little bulb! Has anyone had any experience using the 168's? I would sure apprecate any suggestions, thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi: When I owned a 1995 Mercury Sable GS, I tried the 168 bulbs in the laser light panel and found them not to be as bright as the halogen CLB 2040 but of coure the 168's cost 70 cents and the halogen between $7 and $10 dollars a piece. I'm sure you read my previous posting. Also the 9007 is a headlamp bulb/high and low beam. Good luck "downforce"

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The bulbs in the lightbar are special bulbs. Kragens was quoted at $11 for one! I tried 194s and they'll work if you file down the the narrow sides of the bulb.

I also doubt those tiny bulbs are halogens. I've touched the glass and they haven't blown up yet. And this was like half a year ago.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Those 2040's are expensive little boogers! $7 at Pep Boys. And, according to the package, they are, indeed, halogens. Using 168's or 194's will light up the bar, but it's real dim, like a Pontiac's was. I pulled all I could find from a JY. I was buying some other stuff for my Mustang, and the yard guy said I could have the little bulbs for free.
Thankyew!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I just got done putting in the 168's , had to do a little filing on them but got them to fit ok. Will have to wait until dark to see just how dim they are. I would have liked to use the halogens but my budget can't afford $10 a bulb right now. Maybe one of these days I can do like Sablewagon did and find some at a JY <_<

Thankyou everybody for your help!

·
Registered
901 Posts
the lights are super expensive. I put 168 in mine. can also use 194. A fraction of the price. The 168 cost me about $4 v.s. $34 for a set. You just have to file a little off each side and the wires will line up. Then I bought jell caps for mine and turned the bar on my seafoam sable green. Looks awsome although it added another $4 dollors. caps are reusable though. They are not quit as bright though but for the price its worth the sacrfice. The 194 ar 2 watt and 168 are 3 watt so the 168 should be a little brighter. otherwise they are the same light. I think the answer to you first question is the 2040. cost between $7 and $10 per bulb v.s. about $1.50 to $2 per 2 pack.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I went to Wal-Mart today and I was looking at teh bulbs and I noticed that 164s were designed for multi-use, while some 194s were designed for turn signals and other 194s were designed for dome and curtesy lights. Does different applications make them brighter or dimmer? I also noticed a pack of bulbs with "WCW" (can't quite remember the number, but it was somthing like that), but it was about the size of a 194 bulb, but it was designed for a stop light and it was cheaper by 20 cents. Would that make it brighter that the others?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts