Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i filled up for the first couple times. i am averaging 17.2 with 80 of that high way and 52 city. is this about average? sound a little bit low to me. Will do plugs/wires here soon and get back to you.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Wires?

So i filled up for the first couple times. i am averaging 17.2 with 80 of that high way and 52 city. is this about average? sound a little bit low to me. Will do plugs/wires here soon and get back to you.
Mileage seems low. Depends on what kind of "city miles".

And what would plug wires do for mileage?

If it does not miss, that is just time and money gone. If a plug wire is not damaged, and ohms are reasonable, 3-5K ohms per foot, new ones may be worse. ( for a miss )

Starting point should be maintenance. Air filter, PCV valve, vacuum hoses. Also mileage really effected by brakes. If you have a tach, it should be about 2400 at 70mph. Just to be sure OD is working and lockup is working.

-chart-

·
Registered
69 Posts
mpg average

I know this is a common repeat, but do not just stop at changing plugs and wire. But also replace the PCV hose and valve and remember to purchase a Upper and Lower intake manifold gasket set.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
I average about 22 on the highway with the A/C on, btw my tach reads as C/M said 2400 at 70. had a bad miss... replaced the coil pack no more miss!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Tire Pressure

this one is obvious but it was not mentioned.

Make sure the tires are at least at 32 psi. I run mine at 35psi and it helps with the mpg.

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
my 01 duratec wagon got 25mpg highway(well 15% city 85% highway) with me, the wife, 2 kids and a TON of crap in the back for a party. All that with a bad o2 sensor as well.......

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
My Tec gets about 26-28MPG, city and highway combined. It's a 96.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
My two 2003 'tecs also get 26-28 mixed MPG. Rarely drive over 70 on highway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah this was also wit a/c on full. i know one wheel is out of alignment so i know its not helping. i keep my tires at 34psi. Plugs and wires will help if they are old they will have less resistance and i dont know when they were changed last.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
mpg

yeah this was also wit a/c on full. i know one wheel is out of alignment so i know its not helping. i keep my tires at 34psi. Plugs and wires will help if they are old they will have less resistance and i dont know when they were changed last.
Having read mine on my '02 Lin Cont many times for helping boring long drives here is what I find.

MPG goes down with heat/sun load and wind.

As to heat. Start car sitting in hot sun ~90 or so. First 10 miles or so -6 mpg until off max cool. One example, 70 mph, flat road, 18 vs 24. Now, same on very cool early morning cloudy, 26 mpg. All in no wind conditions.

So, if you start one sitting in hot sun and drive 15 miles, you can expect to see poor mpg. That's life.

Other things obvious but no data.
Sitting at stop lights. 0 mpg
Idling while doing nothing or not in car 0 mpg
Dragging brakes. obvious but no data

-chart-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts