Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty guys. I haven't been able to keep up on maintenance given that I had X-mas, car registration, and insurance all due with in 3 weeks of each other. The car registration and insurance were even in the same week. Major grrrrr.
So I've got to get the oil and coolant done tomorrow. It's time for the oil and I should have done coolant 3000 miles ago but I couldn't (but I did change the oil of course). Grrrr...again. The problem is I've got 2 major things I need to do. My rear struts are starting to crap out, and I need to change my tranny fluid. My mechanic said he'll do the tranny for 40 bucks, but I have to buy the fluid and filter. He's a cool guy, he does my oil for 10 bucks (blasted Ford design wedging the oil filter between the exhaust manifold and the cats
).

So the question is I've got to get some new rear struts and get the tranny flushed. What brand fluid would you guys recommend? Of course Mercon V, but what brand? As for the struts, because I'm planning on dropping it anyways, should I just upgrade to KYBs in the back NOW on the stock springs, and then do the springs and front struts later? Or should I just take care of the coolant, oil, and tranny now and grind out my rear struts for another couple weeks?

-mobiuslogic

EDIT: The rear struts are really bad, but I can feel them starting to go. They are on the way, that's for sure. The fronts are also fine as they were replaced when I had the accident almost 2 years go now. Also, looking up the filter and fluid cost + my mechanic looks like it'll set me back about 80 bucks verses about 65 for someone else to do it all. You would you guys recommend to do the tranny?

J

·
0 Posts
How many miles are on your car? I have been in the same dilemna, my car has just over 37k on it now and I am trying to decide on a tranny flush, plus I want to put in a cooler, but I've heard the horror stories of people changing their fluid and then the tranny screws up, so I'm undecided. spifdaddytaurus01 has 70k+ miles on his 01 vulcan and he is pretty rough on his tranny (as he'll tell you, lol) and he is on factory fluid and has no issues - sorry this doesn't really help you much, but just some info to possibly help out

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
I'd take care of the engine before you start with the suspension. I mean, the car will run with sagging struts, but not a with a neglected drivetrain.

Anyway, I think I bought my tranny filter and gasket set for about $25; plus for a flush you'll need about a 13 quarts, with a good syntheteic(like mobil 1) about $5 per quart ~$65; plus the $40 labor brings a grand total of about $130 for the transmission. Not that bad.

Not sure why you don't change your own oil, but for $10 I can't imagine you're getting synthetic oil and a good filter. Unless that $10 is just labor. I spend about $26 on oil, plus another $10 for a k&n oil filter(have to pay full price since my friend doesn't work at parts store anymore
).

As for the coolant, I use the green stuff. I'm not too picky about brands when it comes to coolant, just make sure you dilute it to the right mix, and a coolant flush is pretty easy. Also something I'm not sure why you're paying some one else to do.

Once you dump your money on all this, you can start saving for struts and lowering springs. They should be done at the same time to save on labor costs.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I would recomend getting your tranny fluid from the ford dealership. It may be slitly more expensive but I think it would be well worth it to keep it factory. My brother had his flushed at a local shop and they put in a fluid suposidly compatable but it gave him trouble so he got it reflushed and put factory stuff in it.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm at almost 34K. Yeah, I've got a tranny cooler sitting and waiting to go in too. Aamco wants 129 for the tranny service, but it's also 300 for a shift kit with a flush and fill, and that's including the shift kit, so I'm thinking I might wait and do that together. I know coolant is no problem. I did the Scirocco myself and then paid my mechanic to dispose of it.

As for the oil, yeah the 10 bucks is just labor. My mechanic is totally cool in that he understands I'd rather supply the parts myself and just pay for labor. I pay about 15 bucks for the oil and filter. Just a good old Fram and Penzoil. Yeah I know there's better, but I do it rather religiously, so I'm not worried.

As for Jason8225, I know there are issues with a car at like 120K miles and getting the tranny fluid changed for the first time :uhoh2: but not if you stay on top of it.
So...couple final questions.....

1) Who should I have do the tranny?
2) What filter would you recommend? And yeah I know synthetic is the best, but I'm not going to buy synthetic because I feel better changing it every 3000 miles, and the filter is really more important about getting the metallics out of the oil.
3) Should I put in the tranny cooler before the tranny service?

-mobiuslogic

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by sabledale@Jan 22 2004, 01:54 PM
I would recomend getting your tranny fluid from  the ford dealership.  It may be slitly more expensive but I think it would be well worth it to keep it factory.  My brother had his flushed at a local shop and they put in a fluid suposidly compatable but it gave him trouble so he got it reflushed and put factory stuff in it.
Hmmm....I'll call them. Grrrrr...stealership

-mobiuslogic

Edit: Ok, the stealer ship wants 160 versus 130 for Aamco, what do you guys think?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts