Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, there, I want to change transmission filter, but the pan has a little bit deformation, so I have to use some sealant. Is any one could tell me which color(or temperature) sealant good for seal the pan? Should I use gasket with sealant together, or only use sealant?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I used grey RTV the one time i had to do this....worked fine.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
If your pan is messed up I would go to a salvage yard and pick up a replacement before I would try to fix it with sealant.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
+2 on another pan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^+1. They do make an RTV which is specifically resistant to ATF.
Thanks, where could I get this RTV? Auto Zone? is any more detail?

The reason why I do this is because the car already 225,000km, may run 2 or 3 more years, not deserve to find a replacement pan.

Last year had transmission filter change at a shop, they use black color RTV, but a little bit leaking after several month.

The car has SES light on when drive on highway for over one hour since the filter change. The code is P1744. but the light off two days every time.

Too many reasons for P1744, but I think about the filter. When they change the filter, it did not fit tight, lean down. so I want to change the filter again by myself. The Transmission is AX4S (17 bolt oil pan). is this one use different filter gasket with 19 bolt oil pan transmission?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Thanks, where could I get this RTV? Auto Zone? is any more detail?

The reason why I do this is because the car already 225,000km, may run 2 or 3 more years, not deserve to find a replacement pan.

Last year had transmission filter change at a shop, they use black color RTV, but a little bit leaking after several month.

The car has SES light on when drive on highway for over one hour since the filter change. The code is P1744. but the light off two days every time.

Too many reasons for P1744, but I think about the filter. When they change the filter, it did not fit tight, lean down. so I want to change the filter again by myself. The Transmission is AX4S (17 bolt oil pan). is this one use different filter gasket with 19 bolt oil pan transmission?
I bought it at Pep Boys. It's made by Permatex.
http://www.anglolake.com/permatex-81180-automatic-transmission-rtv-sealant-3-oz.html

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
. The Transmission is AX4S (17 bolt oil pan). is this one use different filter gasket with 19 bolt oil pan transmission?
I would certainly hope so.

·
Banned
323 Posts
A pan at a junk yard would only cost a couple of dollars.

A lax attitude in car repair will lead you to spend more dollars that you would have originally spent doing it the right way.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Sometimes tranny pans are hard to come by at the salvage yards because many punch a hole in the pan to drain before setting out in the yard. EPA regulations (no fluids).

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Back in the "old days" I used to use a body hammer and dolley to flatten / straighten the flange on tranny pans damaged by the PO overtightening the pan bolts. Usually worked pretty good.

I have never used sealer on any tranny pan gasket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts