Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heys guys, this is my first post and I actually just joined the board. I have been searching the board for and answer so I hope this isn't a stupid post that has been anwsered over and over...

My parent are giving me a 2001 Taurus sedan SES with 120000 miles on it. Susp. is original and I know it has broken rear springs.

I am planning on doing 4 new struts and 4 new spring and then getting alignment done.

But, my question is, what other parts should I replace that are likely to be worn out. Ex. Mounts, bearings etc...

I will be doing the work myself as I have done susp. upgrades on several of my previous cars but I am not at all familiar with the Taurus.

I plan On keeping the car for 2-3 more years and my wife will be driving it with our Baby on board so safety is important.

Please let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
KYB GR2 struts
SHO springs...code MAD for the fronts, JAR for the rears.
Sway bar upgrades (available from various other Tauruses, and all sway bars fit all generations, excl. wagon).
Sway bar bushings
Endlinks
Subframe bushings (aluminum or Gen III rear bushings).

Search the Suspension forum. It's a common topic, and it's been covered ad nauseum.

JR

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I was planning on going with the cheaper basic monroes and moog springs.

The real question is should I plan on replacing strut mounts etc...

What have you guys experience when changing struts and springs out??

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Definitely change the strut mounts. KYBs aren't all that much more expensive than Monroes, and you can't get Moog springs for the cars, IIRC. The KYBs are about $70/strut, and the SHO springs are about $50/spring. Total per corner is about $120.

Are you planning on doing the labor yourself? If so, you'll need a pittman arm puller. There are several good threads that have detailed instructions on how to remove the front struts, which can be a challenge. While you're at it, do the rear disc brake upgrade.

JR

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Is it just me or is it a waste of money to buy rear strut mounts on the GenIII and IV?

It's just a hard piece of neoprene or something like that.
Not really much of a wear item

Mike
:dunno:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I didn't change the strut mounts on my rears when I did the Sable, though I will swap the old (47K) rear mounts from the Taurus to the KYBs when they finally go in. They've got 113K on them, as they're original.

In reality, they really don't do anything. There's zero torsional or lateral motion for the rear struts, so yeah, they just deal with compression stress, and that's it.

JR

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
If you're going for cheap and quick, get QuickStruts... Monroe, Gabriel or whatever brand. QuickStruts are complete strut/spring/mount assemblies.

It may help to remove the rear horizontal bolt in the front lower control arm. You'll have more room to get the knuckle off the strut. You want to leave the strut pinch bolt out until after you've got the ball joint slipped back into the lower control arm. You can slide the knuckle higher up the strut to gain more room to get the ball joint back in the lower control arm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely change the strut mounts. KYBs aren't all that much more expensive than Monroes, and you can't get Moog springs for the cars, IIRC. The KYBs are about $70/strut, and the SHO springs are about $50/spring. Total per corner is about $120.

Are you planning on doing the labor yourself? If so, you'll need a pittman arm puller. There are several good threads that have detailed instructions on how to remove the front struts, which can be a challenge. While you're at it, do the rear disc brake upgrade.

JR
[/b]

The moog spring are listed on rockauto.com, they are pretty cheap. I will probably just keep the drum rear breaks as they are. My wife is just going to be driving the car.

I am planning on doing the labor myself. Do you have any links to those good threads. If not I will keep searching.

What brand of strut mount do you recommend and where would you buy them? Is the strut mount the same thing as "bearing plate"??

I was going to get the moroes at the local oriely's they are just 51 per front and 40 per rear. The springs are only about 60 per set at rock auto.

Thanks in advance for you replies.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Aren't rear JAR springs discontinued or Torrie got more in?

You can get TRW/Moog springs at half compared to any Gen 3/4 stock springs that will sag overtime. Plus they're stiffer then stock.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Not sure if the math really works, but I thought the rear Monroe quick struts were around $132 from Rock Auto before the 5% discount but you need to add in the shipping so it's somewhere in that ballpark. That gets you the strut and the spring and the mount plus a few other pieces. I'm wondering if you're doing the work yourself, the work that it saves you might be worth the extra cost. I'm really happy with the rear set that I have, I just wish the front set wasn't as expensive, it's $187 each. I should have bought them earlier when they had a rebate, but that all expired.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I don't want to hijack the thread, but reading this made me think...

I bought two quickstruts a few months ago and they have been sitting in my garage for a while. Will they be okay sitting there until spring? (I live in Iowa and it's below freezing) I wasn't sure if something would dry up or rot...I'm no expert here. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
24-26 combination sway bars from 89-91 SHO
Koni inserts with stock housing
Eibach or Intrax coils
Aluminum subframe bushings
Moog end links; you can get adjustables (not Moogs) but it'll cost hella more
Strut mounts
adjustable rear control arms
TRP bushings, basically they are the blue looking ones which will be much stiffer than rubber

Cheapest way is to get Monroe Quickstruts and have a fellow TCCA member(s) help you install it. You can get Firestone Lifetime Alingment if you plan to upgrade or align your car a few times.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
24-26 combination sway bars from 89-91 SHO
Koni inserts with stock housing
Eibach or Intrax coils
Aluminum subframe bushings
Moog end links; you can get adjustables (not Moogs) but it'll cost hella more
Strut mounts
adjustable rear control arms
TRP bushings, basically they are the blue looking ones which will be much stiffer than rubber

Cheapest way is to get Monroe Quickstruts and have a fellow TCCA member(s) help you install it. You can get Firestone Lifetime Alingment if you plan to upgrade or align your car a few times.
[/b]
He has a Gen4

Intrax dont fit.
Konis can work but only a couple have done it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts