Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to lease a BMW 325Xi (330Xi shown)...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The BMW and Jaguar had very similar lease payments when compared to the car payments on my taurus (which i bought)... the issue that made me buy the Taurus was insurance..

BMW - $2,400
Jaguar - $3,600
Taurus - $1,200
(all prices are yearly insurance quotes)

J

·
0 Posts
I looked at Contours, Focuses, 6 banger 'stangs, but the Taurus really appealed to me and was a lot of bang for the buck I think and much more practical in terms of size, etc. I even tried to be open minded and look at Impalas and Intrepids, but they just weren't doing anything for me. :p

I'm completely happy with my Taurus and plan to have it for probably another couple of years. But by that time, I think I'll be ready for an upgrade and will probably be looking at either a Mercury Marauder or Jaguar XJR - if not either of those it will be a Ford Truck. I'm working on getting a crotch rocket right now. :D

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
When I bought my Sable is 2001, I really wasn't looking at anything else. Kias were too small, used BMWs and Lexus was too expensive for what you got. I had $8000 to spend so looked all over the internet to find the car that would give me the least trouble, I got the Vulcan Sable.

I did the same thing with the Villager. I looked around the net to find out what the problems were. I wanted to buy a Kia Sorrento but I didn't want to spend over $12,000 for a car.

The internet is great for used car shopping.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Audi a4 and the volvo s40, I wanted a bigger car though so the Taurus it was, especially with all the money I got off of it :)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
We looked at a lot of other family sedans (Accord, Camry, Maxima) but it was too hard to find one that was a 2000 model with 60K miles for only $8K. ;)

Maxima - Nicest engine, but quite a bit more money, and the insurance is high. Just can't justify the high initial and operating costs for a car that isn't any bigger or better at the pump (It's worse).

Accord - I think it is un-reliable. Friend owns one, and he has had a lot of annoying problems. Also, the only Accord I'd drive is a manual 4, and nobody else wants to drive a stick shift. The slushbox is just plain awful.

Camry - Not a bad car really. The idea that the V-6 needed premium instantly turned us away from it though. I don't know what Toyota was thinking. The 4-cylinder is anemic at best, which instantly cut it from the options.

GM was not even included in this list since we were replacing a POS Buick Century which blew its trans-axle and forced us to get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I was looking at a '95 Buick Century and I liked it. It had 107k miles and there was a problem with the ABS. It cost like $3900, but the dealer would consider taking off $900 if I took it with the ABS problems. So I went to another dealer and saw the Sable. It was originally $4800, but with trade-in, it was $3600. It had ABS problems too, but this dealer fixed it before selling it to me. It also had like 15k less miles on it than the Buick. I think I am way more happier now than if I got the Century.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Before I got "El Sable de los muertos" (the Sable of death), I looked at a 2000 Intrepid, which I was VERY close to buying, but the dealer pulled the old bait and switch, and I walked out of there. It was actually a Ford dealer, so we called Ford, and the dealer got into a crapload of trouble. I also looked at a really nice 2001 Sable LS Premium (pimp), a 98' Alero, a 99' F-150, a 97' Mustang GT, 96' Taurus, 97' SHO (way too many miles), and a 2000 Grand Am.

The Alero sucked. The Grand Am sucked. Both had seats that felt like cardboard. The SHO had 105k on it. The F-150 wasn't what I was looking for. The GT cost too much in insurance. The Sable LS had a big dent in the roof near the sunroof, that the dealer was going to fix, but we were afraid it wouldn't be sealed well enough and would leak.

I finally ended up getting the 98' Sable with 40k and brand new tires for $8k. Pretty good deal, if you ask me. I had seen similar cars at that time for about $10k.

JR

·
Registered
411 Posts
I looked at Two:

Demo 2003 Olds Aurora 4.0 V-8. This baby was quick, however even as a demo, it was more than the Sable and the Finance terms were not good.

A 2002 Lincoln Continental Fully loaded. This car had 10,000 miles and was a trade in on a Navigator. It had Every option for that year (The last year) and the 4.6 DOHC was FAST!!!!!!! And it handled very well too. It was a Lincoln Certified Pre-owned vehicle, and the cost was only about $2,000 more than the Sable, However, the Finance terms were not great, so that was out of the question.

In the End, the Options (Every One Available) and the Price along with 0% financing made it for me. I really did not care about the Chromatic Wheels or a Power passenger seat, but now that I have them, I am glad.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by godspunk32@May 2 2004, 05:42 PM
Before I got "El Sable de los muertos" (the Sable of death), I looked at a 2000 Intrepid, which I was VERY close to buying, but the dealer pulled the old bait and switch, and I walked out of there. It was actually a Ford dealer, so we called Ford, and the dealer got into a crapload of trouble. I also looked at a really nice 2001 Sable LS Premium (pimp), a 98' Alero, a 99' F-150, a 97' Mustang GT, 96' Taurus, 97' SHO (way too many miles), and a 2000 Grand Am.

The Alero sucked. The Grand Am sucked. Both had seats that felt like cardboard. The SHO had 105k on it. The F-150 wasn't what I was looking for. The GT cost too much in insurance. The Sable LS had a big dent in the roof near the sunroof, that the dealer was going to fix, but we were afraid it wouldn't be sealed well enough and would leak.

I finally ended up getting the 98' Sable with 40k and brand new tires for $8k. Pretty good deal, if you ask me. I had seen similar cars at that time for about $10k.

JR
tahts funny because i think my 99 grand ams seats were way more comfortable than my 2003 tauruses... :unsure:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well there were a couple:

1989 Lincoln Towncar
I liked this car a lot, person wanted 2,000 for it, it has 105,000 miles on it, and it ran excellent, mechanic said it had a smal radiator leak, but that was about it. Problem though, a gas guzzler is not good for someone who commutes an hour to school everyday. Scratch that...

1993 Hyundai Excel
:gay: This car sucked, but It was crunch time, I needed a car. The guy told me it was his "wifes" car and that she took good care of it. Turned out he dealt used cars out of his house, and said that about all of his cars. We had it taken to the mechanic, and he found about 500 dollars worth of repairs needed. He wasnt willing to pay, so I gladly didnt buy this POS.

1990 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
This car was about >< That close to being mine. It was an auto, cuz I cant drive manually safely yet for an everyday driver. Was a light blue, with a tan interior and tan convertible top. I saw it an immediately had to check it out. Asking price, 3,000! and only 65k on it. So, being skeptical, I asked my mechanic to check it over really good. He tells me that the car is in excellent shape, not a thing to worry about. I tell him the price and he goes "OMG, buy this car!" So I tell the guy I will bring him a deposit for the car next week. I come back the next week with 1,500 (half the price) to the guy telling me he sold it :eek: I just walked out, didnt wanna hear another word.

Then a 1993 Ford Taurus showed up next to my house around March. I liked the look of the car, but when my parents asked me about it I said "it looks like its purple" :lol2: Anyone who has my color knows what I'm talkin about. I told them its nice, but I wanted to keep lookin a bit more. Well I was lookin, they werent. The bought the car for me middle of March, but didn't tell me. I was considering it by then, cuz I needed a car, and I liked the body style. Then senior prom comes around, which fell on May 22nd, the day before my birthday. Come home around 5:30 am, May 23rd, and I get a card from my parents. It says inside "look on the side of the house" I go outside and :wub: There it was :lol2: The same car there for two months was already mine. Needless to say, the color definitely grew on me, as now I have another Taurus the same color! :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
I was looking at either the Ford Falcon or the Holden Commodore, both are similar in price to what my Taurus was, but they were well and truly driven into the ground - they did three times as many kms had less features, and worst of all they are sooo common. I wanted something different so I got the Taurus

Julian

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Ford Countour Sport V-6
Ford Tempo V-6
Ford Thunderbird (all)
Ford Probe GT V-6
Ford Taurus SHO (2nd Gen)
Ford Focus
Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34
Mazda MX3
Mazda MX6
Mazda 929
Mazda RX7 Turbo-II
Alfa Romeo 164L
Nissan Altima
Nissan Maxima
Mercedes 190E 2.6
Eagle Vision

These were all on my list...
but I couldnt find any, if I did they
were overpriced or in bad shape

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I was considering a 1993 MTX SHO instead of my 1991 SHO. I could resist my 1991 SHO for $14,000 with 17K on the odo compared to $26K dealers were asking for a 1993 MTX SHO. I only considered SHO's because the only other car with the performance and room was a BMW M5 which was way out of my price range.

Bob

·
Registered
397 Posts
94 cavilier - we took it on a test drive, it broke down on the test drive.

Well, nuff said of that.

I don't think I would buy another taurus, stupid tranny, and the GENIII is an abominance, and the GENIV don't ride for crap
Besides, after drivingt a buick, I can't go back to having to put up with the unsmooth ride/handling of a ford. :angry:

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've owned 5 Sables. Never considered anything else.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had just donated my 95 GL w/ 183k on it - I wanted something w/ a little more power and reasonable price/insurance... so...
-Pontiac Grand Prix SE (wanted GTP though)
-Dodge Intrepid (wanted R/T though)
-but my 01 Taurus SES 'tec was too good a deal to pass up!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts