Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was researching what oil to use in my 2000 Taurus SE 3.0 OHV with 146K. Ford :ford: says we can now use 5 -20 and not 5-30 what it says on the motor. What do you think? Please help

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
It depends on where you live. If you're in a northern climate that never gets very warm, you can run the 5w-20 with no problem. If you're souther, and it gets about 80 degrees for a good portion of time, you need to run 5w-30, in my opinion.

Really, the only reason Ford switched to 5w-20 was to ring out any (negligible) fuel mileage savings from using a lower weight oil. Is it going to kill your engine to run the thinner oil? Probably not. Would I do it? No.

JR

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Here in MI, I use 5w30 in all my engines. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
A thicker oil would help provide some cushion in the winter, but switch back to a thinner oil for summer if you are in a changing climate (hot to cold).

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
A thicker oil would help provide some cushion in the winter, but switch back to a thinner oil for summer if you are in a changing climate (hot to cold). [/b]
Strike that. Reverse it.

Thinner oil for winter, thicker oil for summer. Of course, this is in reference to the cold weight number only.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I use German Castrol (GC) Syntec Oil which only comes in one weight: 0w30. And only found at AZ. And I use it all-season.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I use 10w-30 in my motor which is appropriate for my climate. Some dude put in 5w-20 in my 2nd to last oil change and the motor was running harder. I put the 10w-30 (Mobile Clean-High Milage) back in and it's running better.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I live in FL (as the profiles states) and I ran into an issue with using 5w-20 oil. I had a very slow leak around the oil pan gasket and in the summer/early fall I had my oil light flickering. The suggestion was to switch to a 10w-30 weight oil. I did (before replacing the gasket) and it fixed the oil light issue.

I have 116k on my engine and now use the Valvoline High Mileage oil that has some synthetic agents in it for the seals and such. I would highly recommend this oil for your engine. You don't want to switch right to synthetic if you have never run it.

As for the weight, the vulcan was designed to run with 10w-30. Ford decided to put 5w-20 so as to sqeeze out some extra MPG's for government testing so that they could sell more gas guzzling SUV's without being penalized.

Bottom line, you won't kill your engine, but being an engineer myself, I trust the guys and gals that designed the engine over the Company CEO's any day.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ah. I accidentally bought 10-40w castrol gtx oil. Have yet to use it, but I might or might not. I just don't have a car that would need it, then.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would use whatever the ford engineers have recommended. They don't just throw a dart at a wall and see what they hit. They recommended it for a reason. They only designed the engine ;) .

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thinner oil for winter, thicker oil for summer. Of course, this is in reference to the cold weight number only.
[/b]
Yes. The first number is the Winter rating (for cold starting). The last number is the operational weight (at temperature). There is no reason to use a 40Wt oil unless your car is using a large amount of oil. 30wt high mileage oils are an even better choice in this case. Thicker oils can actually cause more wear and will always cost some mileage.

5w-20 is too thin.
[/b]
No, I have seen UOA's to show otherwise.

I have 116k on my engine and now use the Valvoline High Mileage oil that has some synthetic agents in it for the seals and such. The synthetic part has nothing to do with seals. You don't want to switch right to synthetic if you have never run it.[/color]You can switch to synthetic at any time.[/b]

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
my engine is 5W30 and it stay 5w30 all the time even in winter

sine now the 5W30 or the 0W30

as the same - flowpoint www.penzoil.com

check there there is a ton off data on oil

and since about quite some time 99 about that all the oil are made the same same boil point flash point and flow point at -34 C

so 5w20 is too thin for my rebuilted angine but any new engine for 99 and + will gain in mileage but that it

on my engine could hear the rocker knock a bit louder

·
Registered
953 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
They only designed the engine ;) .
[/b]
Yep. And they designed it to run on 5W-30. The government is the reason why 5W-20 is now "recommended."
[/b][/quote]

:thumb:

I second this! The engineers did design the engine for this weight but thanks to politics and some screwy corporate loopholes, 5w-20 is not what is printed on the oil cap.

Thanks corp. amercia once again :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.