Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering, those with the 3.8, what kinda milage are you getting? What you get driving in town and highway mileage. I got an 88 1st generation GL with the 3.8 and I know I probably have a problem with mileage and wanted to compare with everybody else to see how close or how far off the average I am.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would expect the newer ones to get better mileage, so mine being nearly 10 years older with the bigger engine isn't to horriably bad I guess. I think I am getting around 13 around town. No idea about freeway as its only driven to work which is like 5 min away. I would expect to be closer to 18 mpg, probably needs a tune up, proabaly need to check my temp sensor and replace my o2 sensor/s. It shows on my temp guage thats its running a liittle on the cold side, never getting to the half way point.

Oh, I did remove that silancer in the air box, man what a difference that made. She's got plenty of power, just need to replace the motor mounts (thump..chirp goes the tires..weeeee).

I have had this car on the freeway, damn easy to hit 85, Have barried the needle at least once.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Mid to low 20s in the city, and I have peaked at 33 MPG on the highway before. On average...

24/30

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
My '95 3.8 got about 21mpg when I had it and my bro in law now gets about 17- 18 mpg. It really likes the interstates and hates stop and go. My '04 Tec gets about 24 mpg.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guess the older they get, the worst the mileage. Anybody got a 1st generation I can compare to? Yah, I would think these cars would be way better on the freeway.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 99 Vulcan usually gets about 170 when I fill up again.. but its filled up when it gets near the 1/4 mark, so I'm not really stretching each tank out. I've hit 200 before.. that was the best I have ever got in the car. I don't know how anyone gets 300.. I've never seen anything like it. Although I use mine for city driving only. Its usually a short trip.. so that probably doesnt help.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
my friend's 91 sable wagon it had a engine out of a Continental unknow year. It got 180 on a tank of gas due to WOT all day. But it get about 230-275 a tank depends

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Jun 18 2004, 10:27 AM
my vulcan is the 3.0.... And the tank is 16 gals, if i remember correctly.
Dang i only got a 14.3 in the grand am

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I've got a '95 3.8L and I used to get 16 MPG average (pure city driving, hardly sees speeds higher than 45 MPH). Now I have a K&N filter and I'm getting 17.5 MPG average in the same driving conditions. It gets 20+ MPG on the highway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
All depends on how fast I drive. I commute about 80 total hwy miles 5 days a week. If I stay near the posted 65 mph limit (occasionally), I can average ~ 26 to 28 mpg. But that drops very quickly to around 20 - 22 mpg if I do 75 mph.

You wouldn't think 10 mph would make such a difference.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
2003 Tec'
I get 14-16 in the city. 20-26 on the highway. I don't know what ford did but I got 2 mpg better in my 2000 Tec'

BTW RocketFast321, when I had my 96' Grand Am GT V-6, I got 18-22 city, 26-32 highway.
Sometimes the V-6 is more effeiciant than the I-4. Also, your Grand AM is much heaver than mine was. Mine was a mear 2,850 Lbs. Very tossable in traffic. :lol2:

·
Registered
74 Posts
03 SES with no mods - 26city. I'll be taking it out on the thruway for a short trip today to see if it gets even better. Let your foot up on the gas early and let it roll before mashing down on the brakes. Every little bit helps.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Originally posted by sfblacksel@Jun 20 2004, 01:15 AM
BTW RocketFast321, when I had my 96' Grand Am GT V-6, I got 18-22 city, 26-32 highway.
Sometimes the V-6 is more effeiciant than the I-4. Also, your Grand AM is much heaver than mine was. Mine was a mear 2,850 Lbs. Very tossable in traffic. :lol2:
The v6 would be nice but i can't deal with the lower intake and changing the back spark plugs. My 2.4 is easy to work on, but changing the water pump that another story.

·
Registered
167 Posts
With 80% Hwy driving at speeds of 75mph, I get 26mpg.
If there is more city driving involved, I get around 22mpg.

2003 Vulcan with 18gal tank.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts