Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I use 87 in my SHO when the ambient temps are below 90F.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Owners manual says use 87. That's what it is designed to use. The only difference using 89- or 92-octane will make is that your wallet will get lighter more quickly.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
QUOTE (sfhess @ Mar 16 2009, 04:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709345
Owners manual says use 87. That's what it is designed to use. The only difference using 89- or 92-octane will make is that your wallet will get lighter more quickly.[/b]
89 does help when the ambient temperature starts climbing over 95. Don't believe me? Hook up a scan tool that can read PIDs and look at the timing.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
87 octane works fine in all my tecs.
We don't get a ton of 95+ degree days here in MI. :)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
It will run fine but under load the timing is being pulled.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I used 87 octane in both my Sable and Taurus. I'd run a tank of premium through every once in awhile, but other than that, it was regular for me.

My Mustang gets 87 octane, now, but once I get my Brenspeed tune next week, it'll be getting 93.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
I switch between 91 and 87 with my 3.8, it likes the mix of things (why not just put 89 in? dont ask me, it doesnt make a difference if i put 89 in, different additives with 91 mabye?) its like 10 cents a gallon more expencive for 91 instead of 87, and when I do this my MPG went up by ~1.5, so why not? it evens out in the long run, and makes the car happier.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Mar 17 2009, 11:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709583
It will run fine but under load the timing is being pulled.[/b]
That means the engine computer is doing its job. Temperature variances have never seemed to affect fuel mileage or performance in my experience. Besides I'm a cheapskate.

My 69 Cougar was designed to run on "regular" grade fuel, which was 92-octane back in the day. It runs fine on 87-octane gasoline these days, with 12 degrees of initial advance, going up to 36 or so via the mechanical and vacuum advances.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I use 87 octane because it is easier on the ol' wallet :D . This last time, because prices were legit. I got premium 92 octane in the Sable. She is running better on it, but this is probably a one time deal. :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts