Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new jack or should I say better jack. I wanted to get a craftsman since most of my tools are craftsman and I like them but the reviews on sears.com are unanimous about their jacks being crap. Unfortunately it seems that lately craftsman has been making a lot of crap based on the reviews I read on sears.com
So, what do you use? I'd like to keep it around $100 or less, not too heavy, and fast and stable.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
QUOTE (plato @ Jun 20 2009, 12:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733750
I am in the market for a new jack or should I say better jack. I wanted to get a craftsman since most of my tools are craftsman and I like them but the reviews on sears.com are unanimous about their jacks being crap. Unfortunately it seems that lately craftsman has been making a lot of crap based on the reviews I read on sears.com
So, what do you use? I'd like to keep it around $100 or less, not too heavy, and fast and stable.[/b]
I hate to tell you this, but I have a craftsman jack and I love it. Mine is the heavy steel plate kind, not the little stamped tin ones. I know the fancy aluminum "racing" jacks look cool, but I dont think they will hold up well. I have had mine now for almost 10 years and have had no problems with it.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
See this post:

Craftsman #50188

The link in there to Sears.com will show other similar items. I've found that many of the reviews for products sold online are negative; you shouldn't base the choice of buying a product only on that. Broken merchandise usually gets more attention and publicity than the products that always work do. Look at it this way; all mass-produced goods can have the occasional dud sold. Say that Sears/Craftsman item "X" has fourteen reviews, of which five are low scores because "it's a Craftsman and therefore it sucks". Five bad buyer reviews for something that's sold tens of thousands of units... sounds like a better rate of customer-satisfaction than most generations of the Taurus. Unless recalls have been issued or you can look up class-action suits about that item, the level of good/bad quality is consistent with any other consumer product- sometimes you'll buy things that break, while most of the time they work just as intended. That's what manufacturer warranties are around for. FWIW, the steel floorjacks probably are a better choice than aluminum. They should be more sturdy in the long run.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
:shoot: But Jack Bauer doesn't get used by anyone.Those who're dumb enough to try it end up reenacting Saw I-V with Jack in GTMO.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
I have 2 jacks, a craftsman and an ac-delco, no problems with either of them! :)

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Roucsh Low profile three pump jack.

it was around a hundred bucks at Sam's 5 or 3 years ago.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I have the cheap 2.25 ton Craftsman floor jack. It's made in china and the plastic carrying handle broken and almost took off my toe (left a nice chunk out of the garage floor though). As far as its lifting abilities go, it's pretty sturdy and has a great range. I also have a cheaper 2 ton generic parts store floor jack that is weak and has crappy range so I'd much prefer my Craftsman jack.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
I use a 3-ton Craftsman floor jack (with matching jackstands)... at least 10 years old but new enough that it's Chinese.

I don't think brand matters much since I doubt there's all that many actual manufacturers.

Try Larin, they're supposed to be decent. They specialize in equipment like this so they'd better be.

Whatever you do, get a 3-ton, it'll probably be a better overall unit.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
QUOTE (mwt @ Jun 20 2009, 10:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733911
Roucsh Low profile three pump jack.

it was around a hundred bucks at Sam's 5 or 3 years ago.

Mike
B)[/b]
I have the same one, but it is branded Goodyear... same product, came from Sam's too. No problems. I have a couple small 2-3 ton jacks as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts

It was actually only $69.99 at my local Harbor Freight.

It's VERY solid and fits under the contour while being tall enough that I don't need a 4x4 to get the SHO high enough to pull a trans.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Blue point 7 stroke race jack, it was a present. It's got a nice foot pedal too so you don't have to wail your arm.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I use a Big Red 3 ton floor jack. It's a heavy sumbitch ... but unlike the 3 ton Walmart jack, this one didn't let go with the car on it. Works great.

It jacks so high, I can lift 3 wheels of the taurus off the ground from the jack point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts