Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. I have been driving my bull after cleaning the IAC like you guys said. It was pretty dang gunky and black on the inside of it before i cleaned it. the car was ok for a bit but now i have a weird issue. I will turn on the car in the morning or later in the day after i have had it parked for a bit and the initial idle will be fine. Though after driving a little bit if i put it into park alot of the times the idle goes into gear at a way to high rpm and pretty much stays that way till i restart the car. Is my IAC totally shot? Do i need to buy a new one? I dont think its a gasket leak for the iac because it looked ok when i pulled it off to clean the iac.

Note: i did unplug the battery and wait and replugged in the battery to see if that would help. It didnt really help unfortunately.

Maybe my EGR valve is bad? It looks really rusty on the outside.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Ford recommends replacing the IAC rather than cleaning, as cleaning doesn't usually last, it didn't on my Ranger, but was a good trouble shooting step for me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ford recommends replacing the IAC rather than cleaning, as cleaning doesn't usually last, it didn't on my Ranger, but was a good trouble shooting step for me.
Thank ya. I guess ill have to replace it. Hmm, should i go with a IAC from ford dealer or can i get an off brand one from advance or o reilys etc?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
OEM is considered best, but is usually a good deal more expensive, so you might check site sponsers as their price is usually better than the Dealer, even with shipping.

Or maybe consider one from a salvage yard low mileage donor.

I chose an afermarket IAC for the Ranger 4.0L a couple of years ago, but have had some warm weather intermittent throttle up problems with it.
Have also read of others on FTE having problems with aftermarket IAC's.

Maybe some members on TCCA will chime in on their expierences with aftermarket IAC's on their Bull.
My 94 3.8L Bull still has it's OEM factory IAC!!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
mine went out around 70k. tried cleaning it and didnt do anything got one at advance for like 40 bucks and it does what it should.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mine went out around 70k. tried cleaning it and didnt do anything got one at advance for like 40 bucks and it does what it should.
Sweet. That is what i was thinking of getting. I think its made by BWD? Etherway Ill devote some of my paycheck to fixing ye ol bull with a new IAC. Im thinking the spring part in it just can not open and close well enough now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The auto part store near me offered me one made in China. I paid a little more for the other aftermarket alternative marketed by BWD. That one was made in Japan.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
For important drivability andengine parts like the IAC, I bend over and by the Motorcraft parts.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The auto part store near me offered me one made in China. I paid a little more for the other aftermarket alternative marketed by BWD. That one was made in Japan.
Hey guys I am thinking about pulling the trigger on the BWD IAC. Its 60 bucks right now the china iac is 48 bucks. Though, I just got a coupon from Advance auto for 20 bucks off a 50 buck order since their site was down when i went to it the other day. So the BWD one will be 40 bucks what do you guys think? I got the BWD ignition parts when i did a tune up and i liked the performance.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hey guys I am thinking about pulling the trigger on the BWD IAC. Its 60 bucks right now the china iac is 48 bucks. Though, I just got a coupon from Advance auto for 20 bucks off a 50 buck order since their site was down when i went to it the other day. So the BWD one will be 40 bucks what do you guys think? I got the BWD ignition parts when i did a tune up and i liked the performance.
If it's made in Japan it very well could be the OEM supplier. A lot of these electronic controls are Hitatchi, Nippondenso, NGK, etc.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ Ive had good luck with bwd components.
Thank ya, knowing that and that they have good wiring from good electrical component companies mean Ill be giving the BWD one a try.

Do you guys think i should change out the gasket too? It looked solid and uncracked when I took off the IAC to clean it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts