Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A dumb question:

1. What is transmission breather / vent. Where is it located on AX4S.
What are the symptoms if its blocked ?

2. If the car is driven by removing the Tranny dip-stik, can it cause air bubble in fluid ?

I noticed air bubbles in the tranny fluid, few weeks ago(when it was shifting bad), the fluid was not too full / too low.
I spoke to a shop, and on his advice, I added 1 quart of ATF, and the bubbles disappeared for 2 weeks, and then they re-appeared after 2 weeks.
I added another 2 quarts, and the bubbles again dis-appeared for 2 weeks. The tranny now has lot of fluid.

There is no leak in tranny, I got it checked by the shop.

Yesterday night after driving for 40 miles, I checked the fluid, and there were no bubbles.
Today morning I checked again after same 40 mils drive, and the fluid was full of bubbles.

I dont know what changed in these 2 drives. Only thing I can guess, is wrong placement of dip-stik. I might not have inserted the dip-stik completely, to close the filler hole completely. But can it cause bubbles ?

Any clue ?

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Transmission vent blockage symptoms are tranny fluid being pushed out the the top of the dipstick tube, or the dipstick being forced up an inch or so. A second symptom is wildly different fluid level readings on the dipstick.

I don't think a blocked vent would cause bubbles. Someone else will have to chime in on that.

There is a Ford designed fix, complete with new vent, available from dealers. I did it just be sure that the vent was not a cause of what appeared to be fluid leakage on my transmission (it was not, as it turned out.)

There is a good write up here, with pix when you scroll down. 2nd picture shows where the vent is pressed in, just aft of the transmission range selector: http://taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?show...mp;#entry558663

If you're doing this, you might be interested in my ghetto tool for the Ford-engineered ghetto fix: http://taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66048 (The bottom locking pliers is what is clamped around the vent itself).

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You're checking the fluid with the engine warm and running correct? The only way you can get bubbles is from too low of fluid, or major mechanical problems.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
The bubbles are caused by the pump sucking air. Low fluid, cracked O-ring on the filter stem, cracked filter stem are some possibilities.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Zenriddles @ Apr 7 2009, 09:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715942
The bubbles are caused by the pump sucking air. Low fluid, cracked O-ring on the filter stem, cracked filter stem are some possibilities.[/b]
Zenriddles,
Thanks for the reply !!

Fuel level is not low, its quite above the full hatch.

Kindly give some insight, how the cracked Tranny Filter, will add air to ATF, thus forming bubbles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts