Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was over at Cardomain and I came across a really nice blue Gen IV with some "20" rims on it. When is big TOO big in terms of Tauri without it looking gaudy? Can a Gen I, II, or III handle "20's"?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I prefer a nice 18" or 19" wheel on a Tauri, but I don't think 20's are too big. But those wheels are just plain ugly. :blink:

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the beginning, I really wanted to go with a 19x7.5 wheel after I had the fender lips rolled, but after I asked around I decided on the 18x7.5 instead.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
these kids my cousin jason hangs out with said they can get me some 20's with brand new tires. for $500. of course, than i find out they like to "borrow" things from cars. thats how they make their living. they have a pair of brand new Tan Sable leather seats sitting in their basement they wanted to give me.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
these kids my cousin jason hangs out with said they can get me some 20's with brand new tires. for $500
Does not sound good at all. Not to mention the pattern on the Tauruses is so screwed that alot of the really nice wheels don't come in our bolt pattern. Then your stuck with a set of hot wheels that maynot fit your car. I already know you know better! ;)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
That thing needs a drop and they need to gut the fenderwells to get those things to fit. In my humble opinion, 18"s are the biggest one should go on most cars. If I were to buy a Mustang today, I'd drop it 2.5" and put 17" rims on the front and 18"s on the rear.

JR

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I were to buy a Mustang today, I'd drop it 2.5" and put 17" rims on the front and 18"s on the rear.
So you like the raked look too. I loved it on the Prowler!

One thing I can definately say is that 20's make a Gen III look like a pimp 4x4!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
yeah, i'm not gonna buy stolen rims and tires. expecially since they might not even fit. 20's are a little too big on that gen3. lol. 18's would be nice. i know this question has been asked a trillon times, but do mustang rims fit on our cars? cause my cuz has some cobra rims he said i could have. and his friend said i could have his saleen rims. they have tons of mustang rims laying around. they all drive stangs.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The Cobra rims might fit on our cars. I remember seeing a picture on here a while back...a guy had a station wagon with the Cobra-R rims on it. Looked pretty nice. I think they were 18"s. Anyone else remember that?

And yes, I love the raked look. It makes the car look SOOO much meaner!

JR

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I remember seeing a picture on here a while back...a guy had a station wagon with the Cobra-R rims on it.
I wonder how he compensated for the backspacing. I know it's usually below 35 on a Mustang.
The rims on the pic I posted do fit Taurus. They aren't the real deal but they're close enough for me. ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Im slamming 24" on the Sable!! HA HA HA HA JK

Im keeping my 16"ers! I would stop at 18. Thats pushing it too!

SableSal

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jul 26 2004, 12:36 PM
The Cobra rims might fit on our cars. I remember seeing a picture on here a while back...a guy had a station wagon with the Cobra-R rims on it.
Those were the Cobra-R replicas that were made for Thunderbirds. Jeramie (95SE) has a set.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Oh ok...they did look very nice, although I'm not sure if I would put them on a wagon...unless it's the wagon with the SHO swap...

JR

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I'd say 18's are the biggest I would go, but even that is pushing it. More likely if I went rim shopping again, I would get a set of 17" rims.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I think 17's is about perfect the Taurus, especially if its lowered. If you go too big you lose the side profile of the tire and the ride will not be too nice. Plus, 18" tires are lots more expensive than 17's. I never thought my 17's looked small:

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Originally posted by jtkz13@Jul 27 2004, 12:17 AM
I think 17's is about perfect the Taurus, especially if its lowered. If you go too big you lose the side profile of the tire and the ride will not be too nice. Plus, 18" tires are lots more expensive than 17's. I never thought my 17's looked small:

for some reason i always thought you had 18's on that.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I was told by the "know-it-alls" @ Pepboys that anything larger than 17" would require a brake upgrade. I wasn't for sure about it at first but I did take their advice & stopped @ 17".

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Getting better brakes due to bigger rims isnt neccesarily needed if you stay at or about the same weight as stock. The wider tires will help with braking, but if you put 40lb 20" wheels on its gonna hurt braking, acceleration, and handling pretty negatively.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Originally posted by jtkz13@Jul 27 2004, 04:36 PM
Getting better brakes due to bigger rims isnt neccesarily needed if you stay at or about the same weight as stock. The wider tires will help with braking, but if you put 40lb 20" wheels on its gonna hurt braking, acceleration, and handling pretty negatively.
Not to mention it would look wierd with huge wheels emphasising small brakes.

For the Taurus I would say 17s are the biggest I would go for. Thats what I got and they have enough rubber on the wheel to not look like someone wrapped my wheels in rubber bands.

Julian

1 - 20 of 34 Posts