Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was finishing up with my 1994 Sable earlier today, zip tying a few wires to keep them together and found this. What is it and where does it go? It has two wires running to it with a plug in. thanks for any help

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have come in for the night, I cannot find a place where this goes. Hope someone knows so I can put it back or replace it as it may be broke, I don't know.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found another site that had a pic like mine and said it was a purge solenoid valve. I have no idea how to hook it up with all my vacuum line rerouted.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If that is the purge valve, there should be a spot on the intake manifold that you hook the vac line up to. The valve is hooked up to the evap canister and opens and closes to burn off gas fumes from the tank when the car is running, also when filling the car with gas, it pushes gas filled air into the charcoal canister to adsorb it for use later instead of venting it to the air as pollution.

Here is some diagrams hope they help!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If that is the purge valve, there should be a spot on the intake manifold that you hook the vac line up to. The valve is hooked up to the evap canister and opens and closes to burn off gas fumes from the tank when the car is running, also when filling the car with gas, it pushes gas filled air into the charcoal canister to adsorb it for use later instead of venting it to the air as pollution.

Here is some diagrams hope they help!
View attachment 218896

View attachment 218897
Thank you, but I have had to unplug it for now as the guy I got the car from took most of the lines off cause of dry rotted and the car was running terrible when I got it. He removed the evap or charcoal canister as well, I finally hooked the pcv valve back up with the two lines on it, he had it plugged off as well. The car is running good now but I will look and see if any more plug offs are anywhere, but without the evap charcoal cannister there probably nothing I can do. thanks again for your help

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you have access to a scan tool you can plug it in and drive with, you should check the fuel trims. If you have open tubes on the vehicle it could be sucking in extra air causing it to burn lean causing the engine to run bad. Any leak past the mass air flow sensor will be un-metered air that is not accounted for causing the computer to adjust the fuel mixture and use more fuel to try to compensate for the leaked air. However it can only adjust it so much, so if it's a really bad leak it can't compensate.

Also the missing evap canister could cause you to lose a little MPG also. Leaking fuel tank fumes to the air instead of capturing them and burning them later adds to your cars MPG, not sure how much MPG, probably not much. You can buy a new canister for around $60-$150 which depending on how long you keep the car and gas prices could save you money in the long run.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have access to a scan tool you can plug it in and drive with, you should check the fuel trims. If you have open tubes on the vehicle it could be sucking in extra air causing it to burn lean causing the engine to run bad. Any leak past the mass air flow sensor will be un-metered air that is not accounted for causing the computer to adjust the fuel mixture and use more fuel to try to compensate for the leaked air. However it can only adjust it so much, so if it's a really bad leak it can't compensate.

Also the missing evap canister could cause you to lose a little MPG also. Leaking fuel tank fumes to the air instead of capturing them and burning them later adds to your cars MPG, not sure how much MPG, probably not much. You can buy a new canister for around $60-$150 which depending on how long you keep the car and gas prices could save you money in the long run.
Where do I plug the scan tool in? this is a 94 model and I can't find anywhere under the dash to plug anything in. My wife's 2000 does have a spot but not my 94 model. thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,722 Posts
Your PCM is EEC IV / OBD I. OBDII scan tools wont work. You still may be able to find Ford OBD I scan tools on Ebay, etc.

OR.... You dont need a scan tool. You just jump 2 terminals on the EEC IV TEST connector under the hood (there are instructions on how to do this all over the web - google it) and count the flashes on the CEL. For example 3 short flashes, 1 sec pause, 2 flashes, 1 sec pause, one flash = code 321

My 95 Vulcan flashes 3 digit codes, and I would guess your 94 is the same.

With key on, engine off, you will get the KOEO codes, followed by a 5 or so second pause, one flash (called the seperator pulse), and another long pause. After the 2nd long pause, you will get the CM codes. Each code will flash out twice. With engine running (be sure engine is at or near operating temperature), you will get the KOER codes.

FYI, if ECT and or IAT sensors are under 50 deg F, you will get codes for those sensors. If you do, warm up the engine and rerun KOEO and CM codes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts