Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update: So i guess there is another trans mount on the passenger side. if the driver side one's this bad probably the other one is too. where can i find it? does it look the same?

thanks.

---

This is taken on my left wheel (there isn't one on my right). Just wondering what that part is. Does it look badly damaged?

1999 Ford Taurus SE Wagon Vulcan V6

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I must say the highlighted item in the picture should be the transmission mount and by the looks of it might need to be replace as soon as possible since it looks really bad.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Is it a fairly easy DIY type of job?
Well I'm not a mechanic what so ever however it looks as other had mentioned that might be easy enough to remove the mount by raising up the transmission in the bottom and unbolt everything.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So i guess there is another trans mount on the passenger side. if the driver side one's this bad probably the other one is too. where can i find it? does it look the same?

thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
So i guess there is another trans mount on the passenger side. if the driver side one's this bad probably the other one is too. where can i find it? does it look the same?

thanks.
There is engine mounts on that side but i dont think there is trans mounts on passenger side because it mounts up on the drivers side to the trans mission? what does the mount on that side look like?

also i hear ya bout bad mounts. Esp if you live in cold weather jsut have a mechanic do it where he can hold engine trans up with lift and slide out that mount. if its rusted in there its gonna be a biznatch to get off. just have some pb blaster and free time if that happens. lol

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Transmission is on the left side of the engine compartment.
Engine is on the right.
The two are mechanically connected, and supported by 3 rubber pieces, 1 under transmission (called Transmission Mount) and 2 under engine (called Engine Mounts).
The photo is the transmission mount.
The front engine mount is under the AC compressor right behind the radiator. The rear engine mount is under the exhaust manifold. They are hard to see from above. You need to crawl under.

You lost the outer layer of rubber because the sheet metal rusted. But the bulk of the rubber is still solid. I am not sure if it has to be replaced. If I were you, I wouldn't. But it's just me. How many miles does the car have and how long do you plan to keep the car?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
You lost the outer layer of rubber because the sheet metal rusted. But the bulk of the rubber is still solid. I am not sure if it has to be replaced. If I were you, I wouldn't. But it's just me. How many miles does the car have and how long do you plan to keep the car?
Thank you and everyone for the replies. I was kinda thinking the same thing since it already has 130k miles. I do want to keep the car for a while however and gave it to my little brother. The solid rubber does look a bit bent correct? Is that bad?

I called a mechanic and he said if it's AX4N trans then will cost $70 labor, the part I found on advanceautopart cost $30. His shop is 2hrs away though :|

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
The rubber is pretty firm. I don't think you can deform it. It will crack before deforming. If it is not cracked and small pieces fall off, it is functional. I would be more concerned about the other two. They are exposed to oil leak, heat, and torque.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The rubber is pretty firm. I don't think you can deform it. It will crack before deforming. If it is not cracked and small pieces fall off, it is functional. I would be more concerned about the other two. They are exposed to oil leak, heat, and torque.
ok i decide to leave it for now. when the snow clears i will try to check on the other two :)

thanks again for all the info. learn something everyday!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.