Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't figure out what this is, but it leaks... With my 14 month old daughter with me every day, i can't risk a fire since this is just over the exhaust manifold as well. I know it is not the fuel pressure regulator, as it can be seen in the bigger pic to the far left with the red vac hose and electrical plug. I think this may be the fuel pulse dampner, but can't find anything for sure or how to fix it.

My ink pen is pointing at the problem in the pics.

If you know for sure what this is, or how to fix it, please let me know!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Yes, that is the fuel injection pulse damper. I'm not sure if you can remove it from the fuel rail or not. You might have to replace the whole fuel rail. Can you take a picture underneath it to see if it has a hex head or threads showing?

Is your car flex-fuel?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, there is a snap ring on top. But I don't really want to open it up until I know that parts are available for it, for fear of making it a major leak where the car won't run. The base portion is part of the fuel rail, it isn't threaded in, it's molded in then the snap ring I assume, lets the top half come off

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Well, I found the part but it's going to be dealer-only (**8Z-9F775-AA). And it's probably going to run about $70-100. Otherwise you can probably find one at a junkyard (looks like they used these on 2002-2003 only).

Where is it leaking? If you're luck you might be able to take the old one out and just replace the O-ring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For those trying to fix the leak, here are a few pictures of my old damper. I'm not going to replace it, new part is about $90. I just cleaned inside, hoping the leak will stop. Might look for a replacement o-ring, any idea who might have it? It has to be gasoline resistant (fluorosilicone?).

Attachments

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Our local home center has O-Rings by the single, you pick from the drawer. Tractor Supply does the same.

Harbor Freight kit poor quality.

-chart-
I bought the SAE and Metric from HF to have around the house. With 20% off coupons is cheap convenience. Seem to be decent quality. Most home centers have single purchase ones in drawers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For those trying to fix the leak, here are a few pictures of my old damper. I'm not going to replace it, new part is about $90. I just cleaned inside, hoping the leak will stop. Might look for a replacement o-ring, any idea who might have it? It has to be gasoline resistant (fluorosilicone?).

I would forgo trying to fix-up this dying part, and get a new one. I just got one at NAPA for $75. It seems that these parts are as rare as hens' teeth, as every part store had to order it in, and all the others wanted $135+

What in noticed is, around the crimp edge, is where the actual leaking was occurring. When I looked inside, there was a crack, which means it was leaking past the damping diaphragm, and getting to that seam. Since the fuel rail is under some serious pressure, it was slowly (in my case) pooling a little on the top. Really stank up the car when the blower and heat was on!

It took a week to get the part in, and I wansn't so interested in driving my Wife's mini-van...so I very carefully sealed it up with a bead of JB weld. I let it set for 12 hours (over night) and put it in, in the morning. No more leak!

Yes I could have left my JB weld special in place, but I figured that the part is there for a reason, so I felt inclined to go ahead and replace it. Beside, I had noticed my idle had become rougher, as of lately, and I was curious if there was a connection.
I replaced it, and I was pleasantly surprised, that when I started it up my idle was smooth again!

Yes I know there are those who feel the fuel damper isn't necessary, and I suppose it really isn't, except that it seems to help smooth out the pump pulsation, at idle.

If you are on the fence about paying the $75 or not, I would recommend buying it. It is worth not having fire in your engine compartment, and your engine with thank you at a stop sign.\

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
What in noticed is, around the crimp edge, is where the actual leaking was occurring. When I looked inside, there was a crack, which means it was leaking past the damping diaphragm, and getting to that seam. Since the fuel rail is under some serious pressure, it was slowly (in my case) pooling a little on the top. Really stank up the car when the blower and heat was on!

Beside, I had noticed my idle had become rougher, as of lately, and I was curious if there was a connection.
I replaced it, and I was pleasantly surprised, that when I started it up my idle was smooth again!
\

As it got cold, this stupid thing started leaking again and I came back to this thread. Same symptoms as yours - bad smell, found quite a lot of fuel on top of the engine; and rough idling at times. Just ordered a new part from NAPA for $57. Thanks for sharing your experience!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts