Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I drained the tranny pan, installed a new tranny filter, flushed the torque converter, and had to replace the tranny/power steering cooler up front. All this went very smooth thanks to information on this site.

I noticed a small filter that looks like a fuel filter. It was located on the drivers side above the lower plastic cover, about 6" off the ground. My guess it that it is a power steering filter.

Does anyone know what this is (fuel, power steering, ??)?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Yes, it is a power steering filter. Some cars have them and others do not. (my car did not)

Does anyone know if this is a difference between the Duratec and Vulcan cars?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
That power steering filter is on both Duratecs and Vulcans. I wouldn't remove it, but you might want to look into replacing it, depending on the mileage of your car. Sorry, i don't know offhand what the recommended service interval is, but if i find out, i'll post it. Or, if you call up the dealer, they could likely tell you.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Its the power steering filter, pinch both hoses if your going to replace it...after you replace it take the cap off your power steering resevoir and turn your steering wheel left to right several times (do not turn all the way thus "locking" the steering) just go left 1 turn right one turn... this bleeds the air out of the power steering system (haynes manual says to do this as well) . The filter should be the same as the power steering racks on the vulcan and duratec are the same. I'm not sure about the service intervals...I'd say every 20k.... Mines original at 141k...oops

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
mines looks original at 134 k and the PS fluid is cherry red too..

BTW: The PS fluid is same as ATF right? (So I can user Mercon 3 ATF in the PS for my 96 GL??)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Does my 93 GL #.* have one of these...cause the power steering pump is actin up big time and I'm tryin to figure out if theres anything wrong with the lines before i have to change out the pump

1 - 9 of 9 Posts