Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on the passenger side the other day, and it was uncovered so I covered it. I haven't seen it before and wonder what is it? It looks like a cigarette lighter but there already is one (sans the lighter itself) in the ashtray. And why would there be a cigarette lighter in an area where the vinyl dash could get easily burned? I am not sure what it is... unless it's meant for connecting accessories to the battery such as like tire pumps and the like?

Anyone know?

Here's a pic (3rd pic on the page):

http://fuzziedice.com/vehicles/suse/blog/2...1018/index.html

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
An extra accessory power point for the cell phone charger, satellite radio, etc. Usually, Tauruses and Sables from 96-99 have them dangling under the dash...surprised to see yours attached.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
An extra accessory power point for the cell phone charger, satellite radio, etc. Usually, Tauruses and Sables from 96-99 have them dangling under the dash...surprised to see yours attached.
[/b]
My car definately does not have that! Have to double check tho just to be sure.

Confirmed, my car doesn't have that...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
My car definately does not have that! Have to double check tho just to be sure.

Confirmed, my car doesn't have that...
[/b][/quote]
Yea it was part of some option package :)

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Mine is attached, but I think I need to replace it, because when I plug things in, after about 5-10 miles the plug falls out of the socket because it's so loose.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
My friend Ben (bakedbeanz) has that in his GL.

I saw it on here once then later found on in a junkyard 97GL and added it to my GL way back when.
I used to use it to plug my GPS in when I was driving it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys. I'll have to update my web site when I get time.

I kinda thought it was a power connector but I wondered what it was doing *there*. Also, this car was purchased by a lady who apparently went for standard features and no extras. So I too am surprised that there was a plug there. Especially since they apparently didn't smoke and there was a cigarette lighter handy.

I'll have to see if it works sometime by plugging in my portable air pump.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Its also apart of the "Fleet Duty Package" All the G3 Tauri That the Ford dealership had here for shuttling people around in (when their car was in the service shop) Had that including a separate Mileage counter (added aftermarket) and a 70MPH Top Speed Limiter. (needed.)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Its also apart of the "Fleet Duty Package" All the G3 Tauri That the Ford dealership had here for shuttling people around in (when their car was in the service shop) Had that including a separate Mileage counter (added aftermarket) and a 70MPH Top Speed Limiter. (needed.)
[/b]
The secondary power point, for instance, was part of one of the 97 GL "Value Packages" (204A for those that care) along with power locks, cassette, floor mats and a cabin air filter. B)

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
The only option my 99 had was power windows and doors but it has that extra power source

Mike
:dunno:

·
Registered
428 Posts
power windows were an option?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts