Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing some brake lines on 2000 taurus and there is some sort of switch for the rear brake lines that is turned on/off by the lower control arm. Anyone know what this thingy is?

·
Registered
10,953 Posts
Lsv

Not a proportioning valve but a LSV or load sensing valve, changes rear brake bias based on vehicle load.
Been on Taurus/Sables since day one. Even on ABS cars. Rarely gives trouble. Looks kind of rusty with age, but still works.

-chart-

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats the only thing i can think of. but if you are not the familiar with brake systems to not know or ever seen this before i am kinda scared. if you dont know what you are doing then you shouldnt be attempting this. one mistake can cause someone their life.
I am familiar with proportioning valves, brake lines, flaring, etc. I have replaced brake lines before. Never seen a load sensing valve before. No reason for you to be scared just because I didn't recognize the LSV.

Not a proportioning valve but a LSV or load sensing valve, changes rear brake bias based on vehicle load.
Thank you for the correct info.

Been on Taurus/Sables since day one. Even on ABS cars. Rarely gives trouble. Looks kind of rusty with age, but still works.

Thanks
-chart-

·
Registered
83 Posts
Load Sensing Proportioning Valve senses the load in the vehicle and reduces the front/rear brake bias. When the vehicle is heavily loaded in the rear, it reduces the force to the front brakes and applies more to the rear. In an unloaded car the rear brakes would lockup when running light. Trucks and vans have had them for years.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I am familiar with proportioning valves, brake lines, flaring, etc. I have replaced brake lines before. Never seen a load sensing valve before. No reason for you to be scared just because I didn't recognize the LSV.

Thank you for the correct info.
load sensing PROPORTIONING valve.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
If you have ABS, you can install plugs and get full rear braking at all times without lockup. SHOSource sells the bias plugs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats the only thing i can think of. but if you are not the familiar with brake systems to not know or ever seen this before i am kinda scared. if you dont know what you are doing then you shouldnt be attempting this. one mistake can cause someone their life.
load sensing PROPORTIONING valve.
I've dealt with the proportioning valves up front to split the front/rear brakes before, just never a load sensing one in the rear.

It's alright I just used some pex tubing and RTV sealent and a hose clamp so no need to be scared. Might even rap it with a piece of duct tape just to make sure it holds.

I got all the new lines bent up and put in today. The lines going into the LSV were bubble flares so I got to use my snap on bubble flare kit I bought a year ago but haven't used yet. Much easier than a double flare. I'll fill it with fluid tomorrow and bleed everything with the mityvac and see how the booster/master are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts