Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, does anyone know what the preferred length of pipe between the filter and MAF sensor? Preferred length of pipe between the TB and the MAF sensor?

I would like to know the length for both NA and turbo.

I know having it too close to the filter or TB can cause idle issues and incorrect air flow measurement.

Thanks

Adam

·
Registered
374 Posts
You want the MAF in the longest straight section of intake pipe in the intake system. Whether this is near the throttle body or not is a non-issue.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been told that mounting the MAF too close to the TB causes issues when the TB closes and the air slams into the butterfly causing turbulence.

I've also been told that mounting the MAF too close to the filter or mounting the filter directly to the MAF causes uneven readings because the air has not had a chance to smoothen out.

I am wondering how much piping is needed after the filter to smoothen out the flow of air and how much is needed before the TB to avoid too much turbulence when the TB closes.

I read somewhere that they recommend 18" between a turbo outlet and the MAF so the air reading is acurate...

You want the MAF in the longest straight section of intake pipe in the intake system. Whether this is near the throttle body or not is a non-issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts