Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on this forum for a little while now and I commonly hear people refer to certain customized looks as being "rice" and very few being considered "euro". What's the difference? I once said that I was going to stagger my wheels and somebody said that it would look rice, yet most of the cars I've seen staggered setups on are German or European. Help me on this one somebody. :huh:

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by gryphon1011@Jun 14 2004, 12:47 PM
I've been on this forum for a little while now and I commonly hear people refer to certain customized looks as being "rice" and very few being considered "euro". What's the difference?
The age of the d00d looking at it, yo. :wink:

Seriously, I think how "extravagant" the styling changes are, and if it looks way faster than it is, or has a massive wing on a FWD car, that's rice.

A subtle body kit, nice lowering job, decent wheels, and clear corners (not tails) is more Euro. The actual "Euro" styling from the late '80's / early '90's was a monochromatic paint job, badges and chrome being stripped, and sometimes matching wheels. No graphics, no stickers, etc.

And this goes for everybody that calls Altezza tails "Euros"... they ain't frickin Euros. (This isn't you, gryphon.)

The Altezza that pioneered them is Japanese. VERY few European cars use them, and even less are sold here, in contrast to the multitude of Japanese cars (Mazda3, Lexus RX330 and IS300, etc.) that have them as OEM equipment.

Oh yeah, and "Euros" on a teal 1992 "Teg" 4-door are not "phat" or "tha fire." :slap: [/rant] :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear you on the Altezza (IS300) tip. But say like what makes the Mercedes Benz Evoloution look Euro and the Mitsibushi Evoloution look rice?
By the way: I LOVE YOUR SHO!! THAT IS 1 BAD [email protected]!#$!!!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Usually if it's ugly, it's riced, if it's tasteful, it's Euro. Or at least that's what it seems like.

S

·
0 Posts
Euro = Styling, Handling, Speed and Torque!

While...

Rice = Bondo, Fiberglass, Enormous Wings, and lack of taste!

Lol big difference eh?

acutually Euros are German and English Engineers.. More of a Drifting type car. For instance.... Take a Honda Civic Si and a BMW 325i. There's totally a difference there. Get my point?? Cause I sure dont...lol jk

·
Registered
352 Posts
I once said that I was going to stagger my wheels and somebody said that it would look rice, yet most of the cars I've seen staggered setups on are German or European.
German and European cars with staggered wheel and tire sizes are rear wheel drive. The rear tire is wider for better grip under acceleration. Thats Euro,or american I guess , if you have a mustang or vette.
Now a 98 Taurus LX with front wheel drive sporting wider rear tires,well that acomplishes nothing. So that would be rice.

·
Registered
176 Posts
so what these guys are saying is, if you want your car to look like a show car and enter in some events where people can check out your car... Your ricing it... under these guys ideas, and if your not going to show it off, just muscle it out then it's euro..

I think just do whatever you want to your car.. No matter what anybody thinks.. It's your car. If you like it then go for it.. I personally like "the rice" look as everybody calls it.. If you dont thats your choice..

Plus if you have ever been to europe most people that do conversions over there use different colored lenses such as green or purple or blue cause it's legal to have those colors over there... But I have seen just as many using the "euro lenses"

but again it's all personal preference.. So its whatever you want to do..

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
:withstupid:

I like the "rice" look. I know my car won't be fast and I know I'll never own a real race car so why not make my slow car look fast, if to only satisfy my inner being?

You say "rice", I say race!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by Speedy@Jun 14 2004, 11:27 PM
so what these guys are saying is, if you want your car to look like a show car and enter in some events where people can check out your car...  Your ricing it...  under these guys ideas, and if your not going to show it off, just muscle it out then it's euro..

I think just do whatever you want to your car..  No matter what anybody thinks..  It's your car.  If you like it then go for it..  I personally like "the rice" look as everybody calls it..  If you dont thats your choice..
Ou ideas are basically that if it looks gaudy and tasteless, as well as has no functional value, it's rice. You can take a Civic Ex, put an agressive front air dam on it, eyt do no work to the engine to need higher air flow, and it is rice. Why? Because there is no functional requirement for it. On the other hand, you can take a Skyline GT-R and put a similar body kit on it, and it will not be rice because there is a functional requriement, namely, the engine needs additional airflow and increased downforce on the front of the car to help steer through turns.

Similarly, if you put a wing on the back of a Nissan Sentra (non SE-R), it will have no functionality. If you put that same wing on the back of a Cobra or a Vette, it will have a functional value, as it will create more downforce on the rear of the car, helping the rear tires stay firmly planted under acceleration and cornering.

We call it rice because people do stupid things to their cars for the sake of picking up high school chicks and because they saw it in 2Fast2Furious. Rice does not look good, it has no class and no taste. Changes are not subtle like most "Euro" looks are. Look at 90% of the body kits for Bimmers, and most of the changes are very subtle. They change the shape of the air inlets or something, but they don't take the car and stick a lower lip off the front of it four feet. Euro styling is pretty classy. It involves tastefully accentuating your car's natural features. Rice is about corny wings, plastic, and gay sounding exhaust.

JR

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 15 2004, 06:34 AM
Ou ideas are basically that if it looks gaudy and tasteless, as well as has no functional value, it's rice. You can take a Civic Ex, put an agressive front air dam on it, eyt do no work to the engine to need higher air flow, and it is rice. Why? Because there is no functional requirement for it. On the other hand, you can take a Skyline GT-R and put a similar body kit on it, and it will not be rice because there is a functional requriement, namely, the engine needs additional airflow and increased downforce on the front of the car to help steer through turns.

Similarly, if you put a wing on the back of a Nissan Sentra (non SE-R), it will have no functionality. If you put that same wing on the back of a Cobra or a Vette, it will have a functional value, as it will create more downforce on the rear of the car, helping the rear tires stay firmly planted under acceleration and cornering.

We call it rice because people do stupid things to their cars for the sake of picking up high school chicks and because they saw it in 2Fast2Furious. Rice does not look good, it has no class and no taste. Changes are not subtle like most "Euro" looks are. Look at 90% of the body kits for Bimmers, and most of the changes are very subtle. They change the shape of the air inlets or something, but they don't take the car and stick a lower lip off the front of it four feet. Euro styling is pretty classy. It involves tastefully accentuating your car's natural features. Rice is about corny wings, plastic, and gay sounding exhaust.

JR
I have to disagree. A lowrider with hydraulics is even more worthless because you can't even drive them on a daily basis. But if that's what you want to do to your car that's your choice.

Besides, tasteless is just a matter of opinion.

And functionality has nothing to do with it. It's all about looks. The factory spoiler on our cars has no functionality but it still looks good.

But you are right about Euro being subdued. Look at the new VW GTI R32. Very fast, very aggressive looking, yet very smooth and clean.

jm2c

Jeff

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I agree with you that rice can't always be tied to functionality, however, it can be tied to subtlety. We have a very small spoiler on our cars to enhance looks. Ricers have an 18" spoiler to keep their rear wheels from spinning...lol...

It's the same with rims. Rims are supposed to cut down the weight of our rim and tire package to minimize the rotational mass that the brakes need to stop. This allows for better braking and also, when combined with a good tire pacakge, allows to better handling. We don't need a set of 5 spoke Koenigs on our cars, but we get them because they look nice and are a simple visually stimulating addition to our cars. On the other hand, you have people that put rims with dragons for spokes that are actually heavier than their stock steel wheels.

I also do agree with you that lowriders are totally useless, but many people keep them for strictly show and cruising use. They typically aren't daily drivers.

JR

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So what would be the difference in an 18x8 inch wheel and tire combination vs. a 17x8 or 16x8 wheel and tire combination. Is it for performance or looks. If an SHO is an American "muscle car",then what would it be called if it were rear wheel drive instead of front wheel drive?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Rice is the fine art of going to a ricer shop and asking them to put on a huge wing, lower your car 4 inches, put on ground effects that make your car look more aggressive than it should, and a fart can muffler. Euro is the art of lowering your car to lower the center of gravity, putting on a functional spoiler, putting on a body kit to make your car hug the road, putting in exhaust to increase flow for your turbo, meticulously tuning your engine, and most importantly learning to do this stuff yourself or with a little help instead of having mommy and daddy write checks to the rice shop. Some people do Euro mods on their rice burners, but most of the time you can tell if something is rice when they floor it, you can hear the huge whine of their exhaust as they redline through the first three gears getting the car up to 40.

Simply put Rice is for if you want your friends (assuming they know nothing about cars) to think you consulted on the fast and the furious, and to impress highschool girls

Euro or other kinds of sport modding is for if you want a car that is actually impressive for a person who knows how to change their own oil even

·
Registered
114 Posts
So what would be the difference in an 18x8 inch wheel and tire combination vs. a 17x8 or 16x8 wheel and tire combination. Is it for performance or looks. If an SHO is an American "muscle car",then what would it be called if it were rear wheel drive instead of front wheel drive?
the only difference in those combinations are your tire profile. You will most likely never notice the difference in changing between those wheels in your daily driving assuming they are all lightweight rims and high quality tires. Its just aesthetics. Mostly its just a showy gesture to put on low profile tires. I personally think a few showy mods are ok, you have to make your ride unique. Just as long as you arent being unique by putting on the same stuff as everyone else. The only reason I have undercarraige lighting on my car is cause I dont see a lot of other cars in north dakota with it, and they do have a minimal value functionally as far as visibility goes. At least I am not blinding people by putting on a couple pairs of driving lights and fog lights just to make my car more noticable. I just dont want it to look like every other sable while I am working on the performance end.

I dont think the SHO is a muscle car personally. Sorry all you SHO guys. I think it is a beefed up sport version of a family car, unless you mod it considerably it really isnt a muscle car in my view.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
rice is taking a 2003 SVT zx3 focus and putting an aluminum wing on roof above svt rear window spoiler

rice is an aluminum wing higher than the roof of the car on a stock 1998 caviler with the plastic colored bumpers

rice is also going to your neigborhood autoparts store and buying "perfomance" parts from APC and Matrix and Ractive

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
There's also cars out there that look "rice" with all those cheesy options you guys listed, but are fast little mofo's. Not to sound corny, but you can't always judge a book by it's cover. :blink:

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by madness_spirit@Jun 15 2004, 03:28 PM
I dont think the SHO is a muscle car personally.  Sorry all you SHO guys. 
I don't think there are many SHO guys that think their SHO is a muscle car. Most of the people that think a SHO is a muscle car are SLO owners who think that their SLO is also a muscle car, since they added neon green 9mm spark plug wires and a HAI. :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't think there are many SHO guys that think their SHO is a muscle car. Most of the people that think a SHO is a muscle car are SLO owners who think that their SLO is also a muscle car, since they added neon green 9mm spark plug wires and a HAI
:lol2:

rice is also going to your neigborhood autoparts store and buying "perfomance" parts from APC and Matrix and Ractive
Also you are gonna want to avoid anything that says fast and the furious or as seen on 2fast 2furious

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
"Rice" is, IMHO, any vehicle where the owner has made non-performance enhancing modifications, but acts, talks, or in other ways tries to portray them as making the car faster or better-handling. I could lower my '91, put bigger rims and better tires on it, and put on a body kit, but it wouldn't be any faster than it is now. If I then acted like *shudder* Paul Walker, that would be rice-o-riffic. On the other hand, I could stick the same amount of time and money into putting together a spuercharger setup and blow away every other car in town, and that would not be rice. Wouldn't really be Euro, either, just kick-a$$ American motor power lol...

And functionality has nothing to do with it. It's all about looks. The factory spoiler on our cars has no functionality but it still looks good.
...except that on my '98, the spoiler is, in fact, functional.

Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by spragers@Jun 25 2004, 09:40 PM
...except that on my '98, the spoiler is, in fact, functional.
God bless the SHO. :flag: :mike:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts