Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 2002 the box i'm talking about has the vent hoses from the tank to the filler neck.

what is it called and how do i take it off.

looks like one of the front pieces broke and is hanging, any ways to hold it up.
i was thinking sheet metal screws being careful not to puncture spare tire.
bryan

·
Registered
145 Posts
Are you talking about the Evap. canister underneath the car?

EDIT: I haven't personally cracked one of these open, if it is in fact the evap canister that you're asking about, but I would be very cautious about drilling or screwing into it. since it does hold gas vapor which is flammable.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Jun 7 2009, 10:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730745
Yes it is the evap charcoal canister.[/b]
thanks guys.

my problem is i cleaned the connectors but the two bolts that sit furthest
from the bumper not the slide bolts, broke. yesterday when i was driving
her the evap box fell from the broken bolts and was dragging.
today i tried slipping it in the slot but i want it to be more secure.

i was thinking of drilling in on the back flange with a self drilling sheet metal screw not too
long to puncture spare tire.

is this a good idea or is there a better way?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
As long as you are drilling a hole I would use a machine screw and nut and go from the inside out. Be sure to seal the hole with some rtv so water does not get in there.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Jun 7 2009, 12:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730750
As long as you are drilling a hole I would use a machine screw and nut and go from the inside out. Be sure to seal the hole with some rtv so water does not get in there.[/b]
sho i did it the right way the way you said and used one in the front and one in the back.
seems more solid then before. :lol2:

now if i only knew how i reattach the spare tire so it looks the way it should
and not just thrown in. :huh:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Drill the holes from the bottom up into the spare tire well. Then stick flush head screws down from the spare tire well (after covering the threads with silicone sealer) into the bracket, and secure with a washer and self-locking nut.

Finish by tightening the new screws, and covering the heads with more silicone sealer. After the sealer dries, and you can put the spare tire back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts