Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I use it in fuel? Engine oil? Somewhere else?

I can certainly read the instructions on the can, but it seems like there is some disagreement on the discussion forum about its effectiveness.

(FYI: just a month ago, a Ford dealership performed fuel system cleaning on my car by disconnecting some fuel lines and running some solution through them, so cleaning the fuel system may not be very useful for me right now regardless)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, I wonder whether there is a recommended way of using it on our cars. I have several questions:

1) Putting Seafoam in the crank case. Is this supposed to do any good? It seems like the recommendation is to put it in the crank case, drive 30 miles, then replace oil. That's something I am considering doing, unless someone might have a serious reservation?

2) Pouring Seafoam into engine directly. Which hose should I use? Anyone has a labeled picture of the engine bay that shows the hose that's best to use for Seafoming (in terms of easiest access, with the least tools, e.g. can be done in Walmart parking lot). I heard this is bad for spark plugs, but that's ok. I need to replace them soon anyways.

3. Pouring Seafoam into gas tank. I am actually worried about this one because if there is any gum or varnish in the gas tank, this stuff might clog my relatively new fuel filter. I might put it into my gas tank when it's about the time to replace the fuel filter though.

4. What about Seafoam's trans tune fluid? Any horror or success stories? I am planning a trans fluid and filter change soon, and so I thought I might drive around for a day with sea foam trans tune in the transmission, right before changing the fluid and filter.

BTW, my car has 63000 miles and is running fine. Just thinking of doing an extra bit of care to keep it well maintained.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
#1 Seafoam works great, but can remove vanish and deposits too rapidly, resulting in plugged oil passages and oil starvation. There are better products out there for this. I recommend AutoRX which is a slower acting cleaner that gradually dissolves deposits in a safe fashion.

#2 I do this approach myself. any vacuum line that has constant vacuum will do. The best way to do this is to get a plastic vacuum fitting and a short piece of vacuum line. If your car has the vacuum tree on the firewall, the hose on the front can be disconnected and replaced with your short piece of hose. Then just slowly meter the seafoam in while an assistant holds at about 2000 RPM. If the engine starts to bog too much, back off the seafoam. Then suddenly shut the motor off, leaving the seafoam in the intake and engine. Let it soak for about half and hour. When you start it back up, it will start blowing the carbon crud out.

3. In the gas is fine. There is no real harm it can do, but I feel that Techron concentrate is a better product for the job.

4. Don't mess with trans additives. Replace the trans fluid with MerconV every 30,000 and the trans will stay clean. Adding additives does not get rid of the friction material that wears off the bands and clutches, and when it reaches a critical point it starts causing damage whether or not you have any additives.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well, I wonder whether there is a recommended way of using it on our cars. I have several questions:

4. What about Seafoam's trans tune fluid? Any horror or success stories? I am planning a trans fluid and filter change soon, and so I thought I might drive around for a day with sea foam trans tune in the transmission.

BTW, my car has 63000 miles and is running fine. Just thinking of doing an extra bit of care to keep it well maintained.
I had a torque converter shudder issue on my 04 sable duratec ax4n when driving on a level road at 60 mph with the cruise control on. This was at 55k miles. The trans. fluid and filter had been previously changed at 30K miles. I changed the fluid and filter again at 55k miles and put in a half a can of seafoam trans. tune and it solved the problem. I ran it that way with no problems until I reached 60k miles and I changed the fluid to synthetic (wolfs head) along with the filter. Everything is fine now (picked up 1-2 mpg due to the synthetic fluid) and the transmission is working great, no shudder issues! Seafoam trans tune is good stuff!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
k8crd, that's nice to know. I am thinking of putting the Seafoam trans tune into my car's transmission a couple of days before I flush my fluid and change the filter.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok, so I Seafomed the engine today. I used the thick hose that goes into the black box, I think it's left side lower one (as seen when you stand in front of car). It was pretty hard to disconnect. Once it was disconnected, I just followed the instructions. I poured slowly 1/2 bottle into the hose as the engine was running at around 2000 rpm and turned it off. I turned the engine on about 10 minutes later and drove around neighborhood in 1st gear for 15 minutes. As can be seen in my video link, there was some white smoke, but not as much as I was expecting.

I'll put the rest of the can into my crank case, right before the next oil change.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
If it doesn't produce much smoke, your engine was probably not that dirty inside. Mine produce a lot of smoke. Just so you know, sometimes the Seafoam can be hard on the spark plugs themselves. It can cause the porcelain to crack. Just something to keep in mind, that if you get a sudden misfire, you will know where to start. If it does crack one, just replace the one that failed. The reason for this is it can suddenly cool the hot plug or the Seafoam can soak into the porcelain and then suddenly expand when it heats up. This doesn't happen that often, but it is known to occur.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Seafoam is pretty useless when poured into a vacuum line. All it does is go from the vac line to the nearest intake runner (cylinder 3) and clean that out.

I used an entire can on a 98 tec straight into the vac distribution line, and then pulled the intake off a week or so later.
Found this on all but the cylinder 3 primary runner(secondaries were wired open when seafoamed)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.