Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2004 Taurus SES with the 24 valve engine. The car is a one owner company fleet vehicle. It was one of 30 used by a local company to call on out of town accounts. Most all of its' 118,000 miles were earned on the highway. It had regular servicing and has most all of the maintenance records to support that. The over all condition of the car is super clean. It really looks almost new.

One of my best friends has owned Tauruses and Sables for years. He really abuses his and claims they are nearly bullet proof. He usually kills his with over 300,000 miles on them. He says my 118,000 miles is nothing. On the other hand, my Honda/BMW driving friends roll their eyes at me and my Taurus. They say the Taurus is probably about clapped out with that kind of miles on it and I will regret my purchase.

I am a former Honda driver myself. Just couldn't bring myself to pay $20,000 plus for a new one again when this sweet little Ford was available for just $3900. :wub:

What do you all think? What is high mileage to you? What kind of trouble have I gotten myself into?

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
High mileage is just about 500,000 for me. :lol:

I recently sold my '92 SHO with 204K miles on it. Owner still has it, still running just fine. I'm confident that the car will make it past 300K. My '97 Taurus has 138K miles on it and I have no doubt it will see 300K...

At 118K miles, your Taurus is just in it's prime! I'd look for many more service miles from your ride.

Your BMW/Honda friends are just jealous ;)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Long as you take care of it and maintain it...I bet you'll have no problem going 250K. You'll occasionally see Tauruses on eBay or other auction sites with nearly 300K miles (the ones that didn't rust away). Quite an accomplishment for any vehicle...

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Long as you take care of it and maintain it...I bet you'll have no problem going 250K. You'll occasionally see Tauruses on eBay or other auction sites with nearly 300K miles (the ones that didn't rust away). Quite an accomplishment for any vehicle...
[/b]
Easily accomplished in a Vulcan Taurus IMO. :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting question. My 99 Taurus has 172,000 miles on it and it's still running fine. I use the car on a rural USPS route and that's pretty hard on the car. I change the oil every 3000 miles which hopefully will keep the engine running. I have replaced the suspension, radiator and have replaced the brakes every so often. The last major replacement would be the tranny. I usually replace the fluids in the tranny every 16000 miles or so. If I can get the car to 300K that would be great. With all these things done to the car lately, it's hard to trade it in on a low mileage Taurus since that car may go through the same problems I've had over the years. At least I know what I've done over the years and I have a good mechanic who doesn't charge me an arm and a leg to fix my car. Good luck to all you Taurus owners!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Tauri is a good cheap car, for those who can fix them, I mean for the mechanically inclined people. Because there spare parts are fairly cheap, but it needs lot of repair.

A lot of things keep going bad with them, every now and then. And many times the cost of fixing the car is more than the car itself.

They are especially know for poor Tranny's, which costs from $1700 to $ 2300.

I dont wanna scare you away, but this is the true picture.

Since you bought a nicely maintained car at a good price, it should not trouble you.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Tauri is a good cheap car, for those who can fix them, I mean for the mechanically inclined people. Because there spare parts are fairly cheap, but it needs lot of repair.

A lot of things keep going bad with them, every now and then. And many times the cost of fixing the car is more than the car itself.

Since you bought a nicely maintained car at a good price, it should not trouble you.
[/b]
Sorry you got a turd Taurus...but I don't think your post accurately reflects these vehicles. They do not need LOTS of "repair". Regular and preventative maintenance are part of car ownership. If you can't afford it, then it's probably best to ride a bicycle. Yes things will break on your car...but they do on Hondas, Toyotas, BMWs, and Hyundais too.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

[/b]
LOL! True picture my ass. My Vulcan has never had a problem after the AX4N Swap in 98'

These cars are great cars. I saw an 04 get wrapped around a pole and everyone including the 2 children in the back seat were able to walk away. ;)

The only time you should expect to see problems is if you end up getting a high mileage rental or a high mileage teenager's Taurus. :thumb:

·
Registered
27 Posts
They are especially know for poor Tranny's
[/b]
I worked for a major dealer only automotive auction, which had their own mechanics. They seen alot of cars and their problems, before I bought any car I did my research with the mechanics. The older tauruses 96 - 99 did have a fair amount of problems with the tranny. But when I bought my car in 03 they had not had one 00 - 03 tranny problem at all, and that was after almost four years of the new style.

And back on topic, You may need to start saving up for a preventative maintenance timing chain replacement. But other than that just keep the oil / filter and air filter changed and don't forget about the tranny fluid and antifreeze though. And you should be good for 250,000 +.

Tauruses are solid cars, Good luck! :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts