·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a fuse i can pull to prevent car from starting? in the old days
you could pull the coil wire and that car was dead. neighbor kids stole
my cell phone and spare tire out of my car, i think its possible they
want to steal my car, one night i came home and they had 6 bikes
in my garage all tron down and painted, so i changed locks on garage.
at night i pull plug wies off, but looking for easier fix. thanks, dave

J

·
0 Posts
Does your car have PATS? (The chip in the keys) If so, that will make it a lot harder for them. :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
My suggestion would be an interrupt switch (kill switch) either on the power from the key on the steering column, or to the fuel pump, so that they would not get far. You could place the switch in a dicreet place, so it would not be visible.
If you are afraid of your car being stolen, put a camcorder in your window overlooking the car and record it at night. That way if it is stolen, you will have some evidence to go to the cops with.

Y

·
0 Posts
jason, did the 96's come with pats? i'm not sure on this, if you know this for a fact its just another intersting fact about bulls to go into my noggin lol

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by healthcoach dave@Oct 5 2004, 08:45 PM
is there a fuse i can pull to prevent car from starting? in the old days
you could pull the coil wire and that car was dead. neighbor kids stole
my cell phone and spare tire out of my car, i think its possible they
want to steal my car, one night i came home and they had 6 bikes
in my garage all tron down and painted, so i changed locks on garage.
at night i pull plug wies off, but looking for easier fix. thanks, dave
Quick fix... go to the trunk. Open it. On the right side, remove or pull the carpeting aside. You will find a black switch with a red button on top. Give that a whack with the backend of a screw driver and you'll see the button pop up. That disables the fuel pump in a crash.... now the car can turn on and finish what little fuel is left pressurized in the lines and will die. To reset... push little red button back down (and if engine was run with button popped up... turn key to run but dont start, several times, so the fuel pressure can build up and you're all set) This should be a good peace of mind if it bothers you... and its certianly easier than removing wires and what not.... I do recommend you get an alarm.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Get lowjack, which is good for finding the car in the case that it IS stolen.

The 96' did come with the PATS system. Unless they're pretty sophisticated theifs, they won't be able to steal the car. If they're petty thieves, there's no way they're going to steal your car. They can't just hot wire cars anymore or jump the solenoid.

To keep them from moving the car to being with, even if they did have a key, put in an interrupt switch, as someone already said. You can also disconnect the interia switch in the trunk. Also, get yourself a decent car alarm with a loud siren so that even if the little bastards walk within a few feet of your car, it'll go off.

JR

·
Registered
4 Posts
Banging the fuel pressure cut off switch is the least expensive and probably the best way (for inexperienced thieves). Also it only takes about 1 min of time. Just dont forget to reset it in the morning. pats is really called VATS (vechicle anti theft system) that was not avalible on your year or model.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Stake out your car w/video equip. & take the bastards down!!!!!!!!!! Or... just shoot em'! LOL!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by blaze@Oct 5 2004, 10:48 PM
Banging the fuel pressure cut off switch is the least expensive and probably the best way (for inexperienced thieves). Also it only takes about 1 min of time. Just dont forget to reset it in the morning. pats is really called VATS (vechicle anti theft system) that was not avalible on your year or model.
nope, try again!

It was avalible in 96 and no its not called VATS, its called PATS (passive anti theft system), VATS is a GM resistor in key cyl based anti theft system thats mad easy to get around.

PATS is virtually impossible to break, the onyl way to get a ford vehicle started with PATS, is 30min of time and a NGS, or replace the PCM with a custom programed, non pats version!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Id say to take one of the wheels off it, and keep it in the house, but seeing as how they have your spare tire... Those bastards would use your own spare to steal the car.
OR!
You could cover the doohandles with peanut butter, then no one would mess with it, and they'd all just think you're crazy.
OR!
not.

Z

·
Registered
113 Posts
Try getting one of these installed!!! :lol2:

Disclaimer: The linked site contains inappropriate language and graphic violence.

http://www.stickdeath.com/2004auto.html

*edit* - Disclaimer added by jason8225

J

·
0 Posts
PATS was optional on Gen 3's, but standard on Gen 4's AFAIK. You can tell by looking at your key. If your key has a large top on it and not a little one that's the easiest way to tell. I don't have any pics or I'd show you, but if you post a pic of your key, that's the easiest way I can think of to confirm it. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here ya go. (Jason thanks for the edit above. My bad..)

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have 3 Tauri's, I've gone Tauri mad i tell you. like a housewife w/shopping addiction.my 99 duratec has the pat
key, but the other 99 & 98 just have regular keys. the dura is at my x-wifes
but my other 2 are here. those are some good ideas about the fuel pump
and kill switch, maybe alarms. x-10.com has some cool motion detector
stuff, when someone walks thru your yard/garage it beeps inside your
house. also they have video cams small as a dime. the real solution is
to get out of this really bad neighborhood. i'm working on a plan to
build a 4 car garage w/apt above. that would be most enjoyable
(complete w/topless babes & parties)

thanks,.........Tauri Bro's dave

·
Registered
901 Posts
An alarm system hook up to the door handles that is activated and deactivated by remote would be one solution that would be very effective! I know some spendyer cars have these systems but am not exactly sure on after market systems.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
have you been in close contact with the police in your area? I know some of the friendlier dept. can have the patrolls swing in the area once and a while, maby they'll catch those a holes.

ps I think you should get the alarm with the highly trained defence guys.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If you have a '96 or newer pull the PCM or fuel pump fuse from under the hood.

J

·
0 Posts
I have no idea how hard it would be to install, but you could get the factory alarm module for your car. Yes, our Taurii have a factory alarm option. B)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts