Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice my car starts shaking pretty violently when im braking going down hill after awhile. I try not riding my brakes so as to keep them from heating up. But none-the-less, it starts shaking when they get hot. Would that be the sign of warped rotors.

AS i wrote this, i remembered that my brakes got replaced because the place that sold the sable to us had a deal going on for brake jobs. They did it because my passenger side rear brake siezed. I notice it when i saw smoke pooring outta my wheel well in my passenger mirror at a stop light. That had to look good. Everyone around me was probably looking at my car like :blink: .

Anyways, is shaking a sign of warped rotors?

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had to throw this story in.

One time i was late to pick up my girlfriend and i was hauling ass to get to her and when i got there she was pissed off at me and i told her i was hauling trying to get there in time and if she didnt believe me just look at my car when we go outside. So when we did she looked at my car and there was smoking coming outta all my wheel wells like mad. She just looked at me like im a retard. lol
I know, not healthy. Cant remember if that was before or after the brake job, which i think it was just the back drums they did. But yea, brakes dont like slowing a car down from 90 numerous times and going downhill on the last jaunt...

S

·
0 Posts
Yes vibration while braking is a good sign of warped rotors.

Although, smoking out the rear is not. Seems like the rear (Im assuming drums) are mal-adjusted. Find out who did the brakes on your vehicle and take it back for a adjustment and cleaning.

If you can't find out who did it. Take it in to any Pep Boys and have them do a brake inspection and ask to please adjust and clean the rear brakes. Should be no charge at all. But if it's been smoking the way it's been... then it seems that bad drums in the rear might be found.

Sal

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought that would be a sign. Could i pull the tire off and pysically see if there warped or no?
And sorry if i mispoke but the brake job got done because the rear drum seized. They just so happen to have a deal going at the time we brought it to them to fix. I just cant remember if just the rear drum pads were replaced or if all around was done.
Anyways, thanks for the reply sal. By the way, how many people have you impressed with the flip flop trunk mod? Looks pretty good. Thought crossed my mine but might save that for another day. Oh, and i was curious too, if you leave it so the trunk flips like that, when you pop the trunk, does it lift straight up so it stays flat while opening or does it go up normally and then fall like that?

S

·
0 Posts
No you wont be able to see it warped. There is a tool called a "Dial Indicator" with that tool you'll be able to see the needle jump as the rotor is turned. Replace the Rotors and Pads in the front, and Adjust the rear brakes and you should be fine.

Flip Trunk is doing great. It folds back into the stock position then closes like normal. Thanks for the compliment.

Anytime! :thumb:

Sal

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
When you brake and shake, does the steering wheel vibrate and shake as well? I'm just wondering because I had a similar symptom to yours and changed my front rotors and pad and it didn't do a lick of good. Turns out that all 4 wheels were way out of alignment. Had everything aligned and voila, no more shaking. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. My steering wheel does shake and vibrate when braking. Whole car shakes after awhile. I think what you say could fix it because 1.) I thought i got an all around brake job and not just the back, and 2.) I think i need an alignment since i have to play with the wheel all the time to keep going in a straight line and ive hit some pretty mean pot holes and bad roads and construction areas with torn up roads. Though it usually only shakes when the brakes get hot. So I'll get an alignment sometime soon before i do a brake job. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts