Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 96 Taurus wagon in a wrecking yard has a "premium sound" label on the sail panel.

Is this the Bose system? It has a CD changer in the rt rear. Where is the amp?

Is the amp any kind of upgrade for my 99 Taurus sedan? I'm getting the changer.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
There was never a Bose system AFAIK. In a 96, it should have been the JBL system. Easiest way to check is to look under the rear deck, if you see 2 speakers + 1 sub (ie 3 speakers) than its the JBL system. The Amp is under the carpet near the CD changer. If you were to take the Amp and Sub, it would be a definate upgrade over your stock system, and should be plug-and-play.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was never a Bose system AFAIK. In a 96, it should have been the JBL system. Easiest way to check is to look under the rear deck, if you see 2 speakers + 1 sub (ie 3 speakers) than its the JBL system. The Amp is under the carpet near the CD changer. If you were to take the Amp and Sub, it would be a definate upgrade over your stock system, and should be plug-and-play.
[/b]

This is a wagon.

The CD is in the right rear side panel

It does have the tweeters in the sail panel.

Where is the amp on a wagon? I know where it is on my sedan.

I don'r see any subs in the wagon. Where would the rear speakers be? In the liftgate?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The 1996 model wagons did not have JBL available. They had "Ford Premium Sound" which is identical to the MACH stereo found in the 97+ models. Since JBL had a subwoofer, I guess Ford didn't want to design a place for it in the wagon.

The RCU in the wagon is behind the spare tire cover on the left hand side...you'll see it bolted vertically to the wall. Rear speakers are in the liftgate.

If you want the changer, grab it...but you'll need to grab the changer cable from a sedan and the brackets/bolts/carpetting as well. Wagons have a really weird secondary signal amplifier in the rear that everything runs through.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nick has the answers as usual;) I had to remember where the stuff was installed in the wagons. I just remember it as the other panel that doesn't have the spare tire in it.

Y'all have a good one

Bob

P.S. Hi Nick and gang

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Found a 96 Taurus wagon in a wrecking yard has a "premium sound" label on the sail panel.

Is this the Bose system? It has a CD changer in the rt rear. Where is the amp?

Is the amp any kind of upgrade for my 99 Taurus sedan? I'm getting the changer.
[/b]
:homer:

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
Hope you grabbed the harness from the changer to the amp.
It's a bit longer than the harness in the sedan set up.

I ran across a 96 Taurus wagon yesterday that had the JBL tweeters and JBL amp that said analog on it. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts