Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A picture says a thousand words, but the simple version is:

1. Remove Vacuum line from EGR
2. Remove DPFE hose on the right hand side of the unit if you are facing it from the front of the car
3. Plug the EGR hose onto it, it is tight, but it will fit with some good pressure.
4. Plug the removed hose to the DPFE with something conviently sized (I found a small stick on the ground that works fine).
5. Enjoy no codes, a clean intake, and no more DPFE.

Please Note: Picture was taken from BEHIND the motor, so it is mirrored from what the directions say.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
What is the purpose of removing the EGR cable?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
:D so that the egr valve do not open it work with pressure even mine it unplugged but the prb is mine i dont have this setup it less recent mine is 94 this look like 98 +

but ill be eable to try this on sabletuner lol but hummm if you have a chip you dont need this lol :D

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It keeps the nasty exaust gases from entering the intake when the EGR opens up, keeping it much cleaner. Mine was nasty when I P&P the upper intake, throttle body, and MAF.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
when you unplug this system

the car have more responce in the lower rpm that it and respond better when you press it on a stop

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Basicaly when you disable the EGR system, you wind up with an extremely clean intake system, but the amount of heat scavenging going on due to the lack of EGR flow to cool the upper combustion chambers during combustion, you are slowly damaging everything inside the cylinder walls, and shortening the life span of the engine, as well as losing power.

The amount of detonation created that you CAN'T hear is slowly eating away at the weakest point(s)

The valve/seats, and the piston it self.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by MrBooMY@Aug 15 2005, 10:46 PM
It's a very small difference, but the MPG didn't hardly change, maybe .5-1 mpg better. But I like my cleaner intake the most.
That doesn't make sense. How are you getting better mileage with a disabled EGR? One of the benefits of the EGR is to increase fuel efficiency because it replaces oxygen in the cylinders with inert gas, which does not require fuel.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
well iu dont know me when i diseable it on my car i got better low end and my mileage went from 375 to 425 on a regular basis

even when you put on a chip you get better mileage

and it diseable the egr system so ?????

you tell me

those are fact

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Sorry mooby but ... :bs:

Your theory has been tested and applied by physics and it is NOT possible with todays engines.

Perhaps your thinking of a chevy short block, a Mallory dist, twice pipes and some added flair with a couple fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view? :banana: :x:

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
sorry but this what my car is doing now

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm, if that's the case then I think I'd rather have it unhooked anyhow. I honestly wish they'd find a better way to cool my combustion chambers than to pump burnt gases back into my intake. My intake was FILTHY when I took it off to P&P it a while back. It took 2 or 3 cans of super spray to get all the gunk out of the intake. I also noticed that when I seafoamed my car not too long ago, I had very little smoke from doing it. My friend Dex's car (95 Dodge Incrapid) smoked out the BLOCK when I did the same thing (150,000 miles, prolly never cleaned since being bought, thick black crud all in the throttle body). I'm not saying it's necessarily good for your motor to have the EGR unhooked, but I like it that way.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
yeah well the EGR is there for a reason and in most places that test for emissions w/ or w/o the sniffer are going to flag you.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
oh and i live in quebec i dont even have cat lol they have no test here

at all and i find my car is responding better from a stop point

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
No way does the EGR valve help the car unless it is prone to pre-ignition. Adding hot inert gas does not help the mileage because you still need so much HP to move as fast as you are going.

It also heats up the intake and causes a drop in performance due to this alone.

I took mine off completely but I do not have any emissions testing either.

It is the PCV system that gets the intake so dirty, the EGR just helps turn it into carbon faster.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
in the lates 70's and all throuh the 80's they needed EGR because they had pulled so much timing out engines that with out it at the mid rpm levels the vehicle would detonate so the EGR was added because of poor combustion.

It is not needed in these times. Non-california emmissions equipped MTX SHOs do not have EGR starting in 89 that is how long it has been since we have actually needed it. My car does not have EGR. Many cars today do not have egr infact most cars that are non-cal emmisions and use 91+ octane fuel do not require it because 91+ burns much cleaner.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.