Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I unfortunately bought a 2000 Taurus a couple years ago. This car has one problem after the other. I fix one thing, and something else breaks. When I Google the problem I see the enfamous line... "This is a common problem on a Taurus...." Below is a list of what I've replaced/fixed so far:

• CV Shafts (common wear item)
  • Front wheel bearings/hubs
  • Starter
  • Alternator
  • Transmission
  • EGR Valve controller
  • Camshaft synchronizer
  • Rear struts (due to a broken coil spring)
  • Both front door power lock actuators
    [/LIST}

So at this point, I've almost paid for the car twice. Now there is a slow engine coolant leak as well as a slow oil leak, which I think (and hope) is just the oil pan gasket. Needless to say, I'll never buy another Taurus.

What else can I expect to replace/fix on this fine piece of machinery.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My wife and I unfortunately bought a 2000 Taurus a couple years ago. This car has one problem after the other. I fix one thing, and something else breaks. When I Google the problem I see the enfamous line... "This is a common problem on a Taurus...." Below is a list of what I've replaced/fixed so far:
  • Starter
  • Alternator
  • Transmission
  • EGR Valve controller
  • Camshaft synchronizer
  • Both front door power lock actuators[/LIST}

So at this point, I've almost paid for the car twice. Now there is a slow engine coolant leak as well as a slow oil leak, which I think (and hope) is just the oil pan gasket. Needless to say, I'll never buy another Taurus.

• Serpintine belt, and tensioner. You'll know when they go out because you will hear a high pitch sqeaking coming from the belt....

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts

• Starter
  • Alternator
  • Transmission
  • EGR Valve controller
  • Camshaft synchronizer
  • Both front door power lock actuators
    [/LIST}

• "Wah wah wah! I got a car that isn't perfect!"

Seriously, you're complaining because of replacing that stuff? Lets see, starters are a wear item, alternators are a wear item, Struts and springs are a suspension component that also wears out! Wheel bearings again, are a wear item.

The transmission, CMP syncro and lock actuators tend to die on a Taurus, if you did any research on this car before buying it, you would know that. Did you know that Honda has had serious transmission issues in the past decade? Or those V6 Toyota's that sludge up? Well, maybe not, but then you would know that if it was the car you bought and you did the research, you would know the expected issues. Judging by what you've replaced so far, I'm wondering how you might react when it comes time to replace the front struts, tie rods, steering rack, bushings, ball joints, rear hubs and sway links, which if they haven't been replaced already, are probably about shot. Suspension components are something that will always wear out, no matter the brand of car.

Other than that, you might want to worry about the heater core, plumbing and screw it, just be scared of the entire cooling system in your car, that thing is a nightmare waiting to eat your wallet. I would suggest oil coating or spraying something under the front floors, since they tend to rot out where salt is used. You might want to look at the timing cover, chances are that it's leaking out of there.

I don't know how many miles are on your Taurus, but I'm guessing it's over 60,000. Most cars, by the time they reach over 100k miles will need a complete suspension overhaul (if not done already).

For example, I bought a really nice 2000 Windstar last spring. Starting with the safety, it has had new inner/outer tie rods, steering rack, control arms/ball joints, complete redoing of the back drum brakes with new rotors and pads in the front, all new connecting lines, all new front sway links and bushings. All the suspension components I put on were Moog, with the exception of the A/C Delco rack and inner tie rods. It needed it all, and now I'm saving to replace the shocks, struts and transmission. I know that they will fail next. The van has 60,000 miles on it. I still like the van.

Be sure to keep the fluid changed in that transmission.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Since I bought mine over 3 years ago, with 25k, and I now have 115k:
Under warranty: at 34k the a/c evaporator drain line started leaking water on the floor, dealer fixed and re-sealed-never leaked since.
Under warranty: at 56k the brake master cylinder was replaced, due to a creaky pedal. About this time the right front strut bearing started making noise, Ford considers this "normal wear and tear". I decided to live with it until I get new struts.
At 113k: replaced front struts, springs, sway bar end links (for good measure), and new front brake rotors and pads (the originals still had lots of pad left, rotors were warped)
At 114k: replaced rear struts/springs, cleaned and adjusted the rear drums (still like new), flushed out entire brake system with new fluid.
Every 30k I change the atf, every 5-7k I change oil (I use M1 Extended Life oil), every 20-30k I change the fuel filter (I should sooner, it's just a pain to get the clips on this year Taurus). Ever since I bought the car, it's had a strange idle issue that 2 dealers never could figure out, nor could I, I've learned to live with it. This car has been very reliable, has never left me stranded, but I'm tired of it. I drive a '07 car that reminds me too much of the crappy cars in the 80's! I'm waiting a couple of years for the new car models to get better mpgs with the new engine designs using direct injection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Wah wah wah! I got a car that isn't perfect!"

Seriously, you're complaining because of replacing that stuff? Lets see, starters are a wear item, alternators are a wear item, Struts and springs are a suspension component that also wears out! Wheel bearings again, are a wear item.

The transmission, CMP syncro and lock actuators tend to die on a Taurus, if you did any research on this car before buying it, you would know that. Did you know that Honda has had serious transmission issues in the past decade? Or those V6 Toyota's that sludge up? Well, maybe not, but then you would know that if it was the car you bought and you did the research, you would know the expected issues. Judging by what you've replaced so far, I'm wondering how you might react when it comes time to replace the front struts, tie rods, steering rack, bushings, ball joints, rear hubs and sway links, which if they haven't been replaced already, are probably about shot. Suspension components are something that will always wear out, no matter the brand of car.

Other than that, you might want to worry about the heater core, plumbing and screw it, just be scared of the entire cooling system in your car, that thing is a nightmare waiting to eat your wallet. I would suggest oil coating or spraying something under the front floors, since they tend to rot out where salt is used. You might want to look at the timing cover, chances are that it's leaking out of there.

I don't know how many miles are on your Taurus, but I'm guessing it's over 60,000. Most cars, by the time they reach over 100k miles will need a complete suspension overhaul (if not done already).

For example, I bought a really nice 2000 Windstar last spring. Starting with the safety, it has had new inner/outer tie rods, steering rack, control arms/ball joints, complete redoing of the back drum brakes with new rotors and pads in the front, all new connecting lines, all new front sway links and bushings. All the suspension components I put on were Moog, with the exception of the A/C Delco rack and inner tie rods. It needed it all, and now I'm saving to replace the shocks, struts and transmission. I know that they will fail next. The van has 60,000 miles on it. I still like the van.

Be sure to keep the fluid changed in that transmission.
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. I did replace the rear anti-sway bar end links when I replaced the rear struts. They were so rusty, they broke when I tried to remove them. I also had to flush the heater core last winter so my wife would have heat.

Regarding wear items, yes I understand things wear out. Cars today are just made of low quality parts. The metal is junk. I have a 1956 Chevrolet that has the original starter and it still works just fine. Yes, I should have done more research. I bought this car from a friend of my brother-in-law and was told it was a great car and he seemed to be a trustworthy person. My wife and I were expecting our first child and needed a four door car. The price was right so we bought it. Funny thing is when we were looking for a car, I told her I didn't want a Ford or a blue car. So, we bought a blue Taurus. Luckily I've been able to fix everything myself, except for the transmission. I can't imagine owning one and relying on a dealership or repair shop to keep one maintained. Every time I go into the local auto part store, the guy thanks me for buying a Taurus. This isn't the best comparison, but I drive a 2000 GMC truck with the same number of miles (approx. 155k) and all I've replaced (other than tires and brakes) were the fuel pressure regulator and the instrument cluster power supply.

Oh, sounds like your Windstar wasn't "really nice" based on what you'd already had to replace.

I'll take a look at that timing cover.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
At ten year sold it will only get worse. Keep the transmission fluid changed, and don't worry too much about it. Completely change the coolant every two years at the most. Beyond that, the Taurus will just nickel and dime you, no worse than any other ten year old car.

On my 97, within 100K miles, I've replace the transmission, oil pan gasket, intake gaskets, ABS module, an A/C line, many rotors, alternator, coolant tank, ball joints, end links, subframe bushings, DPFE, oil pressure sender, tons of electrical problems that I can't remember. And it needs some rear suspension work and valve cover gaskets. Oh well, cheaper than buying a new car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is what I keep telling myself.... It's cheaper than buying a new car.

On a positive note, I will say that I like the overall look of the car, it has nice interior, and a very roomy trunk.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
you know i have owned many cars in the short 5 years i have been driving and my sable is by far my favorite. i have replaced the suspension (rear spring broke), brakes normal wear, ball joints, battery (it was replaced with one too small by previous owner), steering rack, engine (previous owner did not do so great with maintenace...), and tires. those are the only things that have needed to be replaced in the last 4 years. i have replaced alot of parts due to me not being able to leave my cars alone but thats another story.

every car you buy is taking a chance. no matter what brand or model. and between cars of the same make and model there are good ones and bad ones. my dads 96 f-150 has been perfect for the last 50k+ miles only thing it needed was a burned through plug wire and a brake booster. my friend just bought an 09 sonata with 50K on it and has had it in for warranty work about 5 or 6 times in the last 2 months he has had it. its had suspension squeaks, window motors go out, weather stripping fall off, brakes are shot (all 4 corners, rears should last much longer).

anyway think of it this way all the parts you replaced are ones you will likely not have to worry about for a long time. i never let all the things that went wrong with my sable discourage me in fact i just bought a 97 sho about 3 weeks ago as a second vehicle.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. I did replace the rear anti-sway bar end links when I replaced the rear struts. They were so rusty, they broke when I tried to remove them. I also had to flush the heater core last winter so my wife would have heat.
What about the front end? You're in a salt state, right? Why wasn't the car oiled underneath? Most cars that old will have pretty tight bolts everywhere underneath the car, it's pretty much a given. As for the heater core, Ford cooling systems are very sensitive, you need to flush them on time, every time or crap like that tends to happen. You can't leave the cooling system in a Taurus alone without expecting trouble.

Regarding wear items, yes I understand things wear out. Cars today are just made of low quality parts.
Sort of, but it isn't that simple.

The metal is junk. I have a 1956 Chevrolet that has the original starter and it still works just fine.
Great that the starter still works, did you own that all the way back to 56? I'm betting that car had more suspension play at 40,000 miles than any Taurus would have. Old suspensions were quite terrible. Exhausts rotted off cars in several years, cars didn't get designed with rust prevention in mind, if you think cars today rot out, they sure rotted worse back then. Cars today are a great thing, when you go 50mph in them they don't feel like they might go out of control, either.

Yes, I should have done more research. I bought this car from a friend of my brother-in-law and was told it was a great car and he seemed to be a trustworthy person. My wife and I were expecting our first child and needed a four door car. The price was right so we bought it. Funny thing is when we were looking for a car, I told her I didn't want a Ford or a blue car. So, we bought a blue Taurus. Luckily I've been able to fix everything myself, except for the transmission. I can't imagine owning one and relying on a dealership or repair shop to keep one maintained. Every time I go into the local auto part store, the guy thanks me for buying a Taurus. This isn't the best comparison, but I drive a 2000 GMC truck with the same number of miles (approx. 155k) and all I've replaced (other than tires and brakes) were the fuel pressure regulator and the instrument cluster power supply.
You sound pretty whipped if you ended up with that Taurus. ;) But anyway, a full sized body on-frame truck is pretty different than a unibody car, so don't compare apples to oranges. If you want to do that, I'll bring up how reliable ford trucks can be and that is way more impressive than getting 155k without "doing much of anything". Also, that suspension is probably pretty beat by now, just because it's still holding together doesn't mean it drives good.

Oh, sounds like your Windstar wasn't "really nice" based on what you'd already had to replace.
It actually is. It is near immaculate inside and out, excluding the paint (getting it done in the spring). It has leather seats, working automatic sliding doors, A/C/heat all the way to the rear with no rust and aluminum rims. With the new suspension work I put into it, it now drives like a new car and I shouldn't have to worry about much with the suspension for a long time as I have invested in decent parts. I don't consider a car not to be nice because you had to replace some parts.

I'll take a look at that timing cover.
Hopefully it isn't.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I went through the same thing on my old Buick Park Ave, that this car replaced. On that car, problems kept comming in 2's and 3's, after fixing one thing, something else would go wrong a month later. I decided not to keep spending as much as a car payment on items that kept going wrong on it, so I replaced it with a newer car that was still under factory warranty. In a year or 2, I'm going to trade this car in for a newer one as well, as I don't care to go through that again, and if the transmission lasts that long, I don't care to keep it long enough to have to put one in it. I'm waiting to see how the new '11 Elantra holds up, it now gets 40mpg hwy, 2 mpg more than Ford's new Fiesta does, and it's a larger car. So at least by 2012, I will be out of the game with Taurus, and into a up to date car that I don't have to worry about for the next 5 years or so. I'm going to buy another rental return from Hertz again, let them pay the first years depreciation.

·
Registered
51 Posts
what i replaced on my 99 taurus

on my 99 taurus(best car ive ever owned,an sorry i sold it)all i ever replaced was brakes,rotors and tires,also spark plugs,i sold it with 150k and i had it since new,on my 2006 i replaced brakes,rotors,plugs,intake gaskets,almost every sensor on the motor,all filters,imcr valve.the list goes on,car idles like crap and no body can fix it(sorry i bough it)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well I learned alot.. lol. ill keep up on my flushing of the tranny fluid and the cooling system... and doing an all around suspension replacement at 100,000 miles.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I went through the same thing on my old Buick Park Ave, that this car replaced. On that car, problems kept comming in 2's and 3's, after fixing one thing, something else would go wrong a month later. I decided not to keep spending as much as a car payment on items that kept going wrong on it, so I replaced it with a newer car that was still under factory warranty. In a year or 2, I'm going to trade this car in for a newer one as well, as I don't care to go through that again, and if the transmission lasts that long, I don't care to keep it long enough to have to put one in it. I'm waiting to see how the new '11 Elantra holds up, it now gets 40mpg hwy, 2 mpg more than Ford's new Fiesta does, and it's a larger car. So at least by 2012, I will be out of the game with Taurus, and into a up to date car that I don't have to worry about for the next 5 years or so. I'm going to buy another rental return from Hertz again, let them pay the first years depreciation.
You may not have to worry about it, but you still have to pay for it every month. :)

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts

btw the Fiesta also get 40mpg... get a fusion hybrid if you want better milage in a larger car.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
There is value in not having to worry about your car...
I don't worry about my cars. I just don't think it's worth a car payment or the price of a new car to not have to fix things. It still costs more for the new car in the end and that is why I have used cars. Cars aren't a good investment.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
It all comes down to what you have more of: money or time. Some day I hope to be one of those guys with more of the former. :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
It all comes down to what you have more of: money or time. Some day I hope to be one of those guys with more of the former. :rolleyes2:
I agree with you, if i had money me, my fiance and my soon born son would be living in a home on a beach somewhere nice with a 2011 Taurus... lol but it is only a dream...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hopefully it isn't.
Well, turns out the coolant leak was from the timing chain cover, which is another "common Taurus problem". Not an expensive fix, but very time consuming. While I had it apart, I replaced the timing chain, which was stretched out, the water pump, the oil pan gasket, and the crank position sensor, which I broke in the process. Defend these cars all you want, but a Taurus with over 100k is a money pit. Now, I'm anxiously waiting to see what the next repair will be.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I am sorry SEC-K you had to replace all the parts. You deserve a break from constant repairs.

Let me throw a similar question to the board. Mine is '05 Vulcan with 120k miles. In general, would you say I will start to experience difficult repairs soon? So far, most repairs were suspension parts because it was an ex-police car, driven hard.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts