Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
8281 - 8299 of 8299 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
363 Posts
About the rear left dent: ….
I wasn’t sure if you were replying to me or something else. I looked at the picture of mine and I think most of what you see is reflection. I have some scrapes and it looks like I have one tiny crease but nothing that that really deforms it. Here is a shot with less reflection of unknown objects.

(scroll down to the second photo on the page)

·
Registered
145 Posts
OUCH!
Motorcraft Mercon V, 12 quarts, and if you have prime it’s free delivery, for $73, or $6.09/qt. (If you don’t have prime, the cheapest route is $76.31 with free delivery, or $6.36/qt).

Motorcraft XT5QMC Mercon V Automatic Transmission Fluid - Case of 12 Quarts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JU877WQ/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously, I'm no expert. But, according to cartechbooks.com, you do not sub V for LV, or mix the two. This is what a quick Google search revealed. There is probably a discussion on this somewhere around here.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Obviously, I'm no expert. But, according to cartechbooks.com, you do not sub V for LV, or mix the two. This is what a quick Google search revealed. There is probably a discussion on this somewhere around here.
More of an expert in that than I am in recognizing typos. I thought the L was a typo. I had not heard of low viscosity. Either way, here is 12 quarts for $74 with free shipping, or $6.17/qt

Reactions: Lrobby99

·
Registered
56 Posts
Finally got around to removing the center console again on my 03 SEL. Years ago I installed a PIE3 interface to get AUX input through the CD player. Always worked but had some bad ground loop issues if I was using any cigarette charger. Mounted a ground loop isolator direct to the PIE3 RCA inputs and working like a champ. Decided now that was fixed I cleaned up my SoundBot SB360 install which was always running on a battery before the ground loop was fixed.

Also long overdue I swapped out the shifter light bulbs with LEDs I’ve had for years from when I did my gauge cluster LEDs. The shifter lights were always too bright in comparison to the dash and more so with the LEDs. A 2.2kOHM resistor fixed that nicely so now everything dims in unison.

Hoping this is the last time I tear into the console as it can be a PITA at times.

·
Registered
127 Posts
So my drivers seat was sagging a lot (2007 Taurus, 183000 miles)-- I looked under it and the springs were all broken and hanging and the foam was ripped. I found JUST the bottom seat, same color and fabric, on Ebay for 80 bucks and pulled the old seat out and swapped out the bottom part. I had to pull the battery cable off just to be safe, and after I put it all back together I went for a drive and am finding the trans is bucking from 2 into 3rd. I'm wondering if it needs to re-learn. Never a dull moment with a taurus!

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
Water getting in the back. Saw the glass at the top was not down to the seal, hinge up on the top where it fastens to the metal. I thought it was broken but found only the nut was way, way loose. I took the hinge off an checked it, put some silicone gasket stuff around the rubber as it was not as soft as new so good seal to the metal. Pic in my library for future use. Cant use deep wall socket, as the screw axis does not point to the center of the access hole. Pic shows the alignment with normal socket and extension for good alignment. Nut is special, has a very large washer attached to it. If you drop that it will go to the black hole. Tightened all and glass to seal is now fine. No idea why that nut would come loose anyway. Now to get all that trim put back and all the clips in their slots. Checked all the other nuts for being OK.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
My 03 with now 121k decided to puke transmission fluid out twice in the driveway. I just finished doing the TSB to add the right angle nipple with a length of hose. Will see how that works out.

Attachments

Reactions: 2k3SEL and sheila

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Water getting in the back. Saw the glass at the top was not down to the seal, hinge up on the top where it fastens to the metal. I thought it was broken but found only the nut was way, way loose. I took the hinge off an checked it, put some silicone gasket stuff around the rubber as it was not as soft as new so good seal to the metal. Pic in my library for future use. Cant use deep wall socket, as the screw axis does not point to the center of the access hole. Pic shows the alignment with normal socket and extension for good alignment. Nut is special, has a very large washer attached to it. If you drop that it will go to the black hole. Tightened all and glass to seal is now fine. No idea why that nut would come loose anyway. Now to get all that trim put back and all the clips in their slots. Checked all the other nuts for being OK.
-chart-
That's where mine leaked too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
My 03 with now 121k decided to puke transmission fluid out twice in the driveway. I just finished doing the TSB to add the right angle nipple with a length of hose. Will see how that works out.
Or just clean and replace the vent properly. Works for me. Several Bulls. One spill, learned the hard way, fix easy.
Also, when exchanging fluid, pull the vent while adding fluid, then replace, "properly".
-chart-

·
Registered
363 Posts
Had headlight bulb out for a few days. Ordered new ones the night I saw it was out, but had trouble (and rain) the next few days. Got it done tonight. Amazon seller, $30 for a set of 9007s with 6 month warranty.
SEALIGHT 9007/HB5 LED Bulbs 14000LM Dual Bulbs X1 Series 6000K Xenon White Non-polarity

^^ old low beams. Driver's side out. vv old high beams

^^ new low beams vv new high beams

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
56 Posts
Decided that after a little over 112k and 19yrs it was time to change the plug wires. Really hate getting in there how things are setup but did it and hoping a slight improvement in mileage results. May be placebo effect but car feels a bit more responsive to the pedal. I had changed plugs about 5yrs ago and wires seemed ok (no cracks, etc). Still no cracks today but swapped out all the same. Now of course, rescan of the CPU found an ignition switch code...which I'll take as it's cheaper than a new car.

·
Registered
363 Posts
So I did a thing…

I don’t remember what vehicle these are from but they are Ford OEM rims. Wasn’t thrilled about putting 18 inch rims on it but they look good. I did have to put some spacers to clear the front caliper brackets. They are running 235/45 – 18 tires.

·
Registered
363 Posts
^ That's a full wheel well, lol!
The back ones are stuffed, but I'm going to have to remove the rear spacers. On harder bumps it rubs the tire. I'm checking with someone I know to see if they have a fender roller. Don't know if I want to do that as I don't know how it'll affect the inner fenders and them doing their job. The front wheels stick out a little in the front, but are within the vertical plane of the quarter panel. If it's full lock the front will rub if give too much gas at a U-turn. That I can deal with, but for now I'll pull the rear off as soon as I can.

I also have to see how it will affect the driving characteristics. The spacers are 1 inch, so the front track will be 2 inches wider than originally from the rear.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,078 Posts
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Car

R&R of the alt on the 2010 today.

Can’t say I’m thrilled by 12 years and 127k miles out of the factory unit. At least it decided to progressively fail and get worse rather than having the bearings seize.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
363 Posts
Washed it, took it for a 40 mile trip and back, and then filled the gas tank. Would love better but f

or a ‘99 wagon this size, I’m happy with the MPGs.

8281 - 8299 of 8299 Posts