Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

8241 - 8260 of 8288 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Picked up a new to me 98SE this morning. Need to tear into it to see what all it needs, but so far it drives perfectly with no lights. 133k on it, been parked for 2 years. Was able to drive it home. Guess I can't stay away from these things 😂
So..... When you turn the lights on, it doesn't run?

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
^ Vulcan or Duratec?
Vulcan unfortunately, tec gen 3s (and 4s) are unobtainable these days around here. The mountains are hard on the transmissions in these cars so they seem to have all been junked by now :( My tec Sable left my fleet a few months ago, it would pour trans fluid out the converter seal when warm and It needed too many other things. Rip.
So..... When you turn the lights on, it doesn't run?
No I just meant no check engine/transmission anything like that. Which is crazy for having sat 2 whole years. Previous owner claimed mystery battery drain though. No stuck cassette, so I suspect the junkyard alternator or the glove box light. I won't have time to tear into it for the next week.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Congrats on the "new to you" car!!

Reactions: ice445

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,074 Posts
Changed the oil and did a drain/fill on the coolant on the 2010. Would have bought the new Ford Yellow coolant, but I still had a half-gallon of mix and a full gallon of concentrate of the Specialty Green stuff.

Managed to avoid making a mess or getting covered in anything this time, a nice surprise. The oil filter location on the Cyclone is easy enough to get to, but it seems like as soon as you loosen it a turn it starts to bleed oil everywhere, with four more turns to go before it comes off the threads. Not sure if it's specific to the mounting location or a quirk of the FL500S.

Just need to get a quart of Mercon V to top off the power steering - I only have LV on hand, and they don't mix.

Reactions: ice445 and sheila

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
Sold my tires and rims today along with misc. parts like oil and fuel filters, brake shoes and drums and serpentine belts. Collected good parts at great prices but starting to see the end of my Taurus ownership.

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
337 Posts
Blüe got a wash & vacuum today. Was in it a short time on Monday this past week, then took it to get gas on Saturday. So today, since it was needed, I took Blüe down to the wash, did a couple of errands, and then went to see a friend. A good Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Picked up a Motorcraft battery after I really couldn't find a deal on the 36R anywhere. Turns out the dealer had the best price+warranty combo still going. Max series ran about $135 and comes with 3yr free replacement. I mention this as the parts guy told me Ford is lowering the warranty next year and raising the battery price. If you're in need of a battery may want to check your local dealer parts store before the new price/warranty goes into effect.

Got 4 years out of a 2yr Exide but noticed after sitting out over night it wouldn't start when cold. No issues if I left it in the garage but knew it was time for a new battery.

·
Registered
1998 Ford Taurus SE
30 Posts
After watching the vid on heater core replacement shortcut, I ordered a new core, which I received last week. So, Saturday I was ready to pull the old one, and after reviewing the shortcut video again, I also saw a video to back flush the core. I decided to try back flushing first, and saving the new core in case I actually need it. It worked out. Back flushing worked for me, and I now have good heat again, plus a new core for the future.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What did I do? Well, fresh Motorcraft 100% Synthetic, filter and rotation last week at a Quicklane. That's it. This '15 Limited with 67k miles already has both trans fluid and coolant renewed. A 1 y/o set of Avid Ascend GT's underneath. Brakes are fine. Air filter ditto. Washed, waxed recently. Interior is shiny new. I don't know what else there is to do. Too soon for spark plugs.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don't know what else there is to do. Too soon for spark plugs.
There’s always a new air freshener for the rear view mirror

Sent from a little thing I hear voices from

Reactions: Lrobby99

·
Registered
10,670 Posts
My wagon parking brake.
Pedal going down far and not enough holding. After local drive, both rotors about ~80F so both working same. Out in the street, parking brake to slow down to my driveway and then to stop. Pas side hot, drivers side barely warm. Wheel off and safety rules and the caliper lever fully applied. Used big screw driver to move it back and the cable popped right back but the lever is tight. PB on the shaft and spring and let it sit. Later spray lube on shaft and spring. Exercised with the PK pedal and screw driver and it began to work. Back together. Apply the PK brake, and release, drove around the block. Check both rotors and both are fine ~80F. My first time for a stuck lever. Car 17.5 years old, 6.5 years in full rust belt, 160K miles. Scheduled for a road trip this weekend. Not me, I am not going out of the house for more than hour or so due to wife's health. She is getting better slowly.
Pads on this side really thin so I plan to replace soon. Dragging for a while.
-chart-

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
My wagon parking brake.
Pedal going down far and not enough holding. After local drive, both rotors about ~80F so both working same. Out in the street, parking brake to slow down to my driveway and then to stop. Pas side hot, drivers side barely warm. Wheel off and safety rules and the caliper lever fully applied. Used big screw driver to move it back and the cable popped right back but the lever is tight. PB on the shaft and spring and let it sit. Later spray lube on shaft and spring. Exercised with the PK pedal and screw driver and it began to work. Back together. Apply the PK brake, and release, drove around the block. Check both rotors and both are fine ~80F. My first time for a stuck lever. Car 17.5 years old, 6.5 years in full rust belt, 160K miles. Scheduled for a road trip this weekend. Not me, I am not going out of the house for more than hour or so due to wife's health. She is getting better slowly.
Pads on this side really thin so I plan to replace soon. Dragging for a while.
-chart-
Once the parking brake hardware gets rusty, the only real fix is to replace it. Anything else is usually very short-term.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,670 Posts
Once the parking brake hardware gets rusty, the only real fix is to replace it. Anything else is usually very short-term.

I am expecting to get through the winter. Wife has many health issues and for now I only leave her hour at a time. She is getting better slowly and we are modifying her meds, Checking BP and weight an adjusting daily. Phone visits with GP. Since our house was rebuilt and contents returned in 800+ boxes I work daily going through boxes and trying to get back to normal, if it is possible. 2 years behind yard work. With 3 Bulls and a Buick in my herd and cannot get in the garage I have to make do. Less than a week and I will be 81.
-chart-

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I am expecting to get through the winter. Wife has many health issues and for now I only leave her hour at a time. She is getting better slowly and we are modifying her meds, Checking BP and weight an adjusting daily. Phone visits with GP. Since our house was rebuilt and contents returned in 800+ boxes I work daily going through boxes and trying to get back to normal, if it is possible. 2 years behind yard work. With 3 Bulls and a Buick in my herd and cannot get in the garage I have to make do. Less than a week and I will be 81.
-chart-
I understand, life sometimes changes your priorities. Hopefully, you can make a dent in your 800+ boxes over the winter. I wish you an early happy 81st birthday!

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
BTDT with park brake caliper levers stuck on a few different cars. Living in the rust belt, freeing them up only lasted a few months. Long term solution was always new calipers.

Mike, I hope your wife gets better soon!!!

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
-chart-
When the fire first happened to you it made me think awhile about life. An event like that really has a major long term effect on your life and while insurance money helps it doesn't cover the disruption. Figuring a couple of years to fix the house and then now having to move back in. We have move four times for the company I worked for and understand the disruption with moving back in. The first time I move before we were married it took a year to unbox the non essential things. The other times my wife took control and sped that process up to a month. Our thoughts are with both of you and your family.

·
Registered
10,670 Posts
BTDT with park brake caliper levers stuck on a few different cars. Living in the rust belt, freeing them up only lasted a few months. Long term solution was always new calipers.

Mike, I hope your wife gets better soon!!!
Thanks. I have had 5 Lin and this is my 3rd Bull with rear discs. My first stuck lever. I put anti-seize around the shaft so hope that keeps water and salt out for the winter. Since I live in the valley, not often need parking brake so best I use it more often to keep it working.
Wife is walking around the house without my assist first time since thanksgiving. We are working on balance between diuretic to keep fluid down, especially around the lungs, and low blood pressure from the diuretic so she falls down and gets in the ER again. DR has her on new diuretic that is supposed to not cause loss of potassium. I will drop off her stats to the DR office today and she will have a phone visit with him tomorrow.
-chart-

·
Registered
337 Posts
I’m not a believer so I don’t pray. That said, I hope for your wife’s continued recovery, all of our safety, and wish you a happy 81st birthday.

The boxes will come along and once the covid vaccine is distributed I bet there are more than a few of us that live close enough to help with yardwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8241 - 8260 of 8288 Posts