Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

8221 - 8240 of 8244 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Saw my old 00 Sable wagon out and about today. Didn't get a close up look, though. That means it officially made it to the 20 year mark!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: mcsteven

·
Registered
295 Posts
Seems to me that the airbag light has nothing to do with the GEM module. I would also think the airbag system would set a code specifically to that system and some scanners don't read those systems. I have heard that the wiring harness that the GEM connects to can corrode and cause issues. Maybe the airbag wiring goes through that connection.
Turns out the GEM module for my Bull is obsolete.:mad: (Thanks Ford !) Fortunately, I've got a source who can find parts like this so will be in touch with him next week. I talked with a Ford service manager and he says GEMS often get corroded and cause all kinds of weird problems. Just something else to fix, but still cheaper than a new car.

·
Super Moderator
8,282 Posts
Only 4 different GEM/SJB models..... Low line with DRL, low line w/o DRL, High line with DRL and high line w/o DRL. Yours should state which one you have on your GEM/SJB. Head to the local JY and pick up 1 or 2 of the correct model. They are pretty easy to pull. Only 4 nuts to remove. I think I have a low line w/o DRL laying around somewhere in my shop pulled from a working 06. You can have it for $20 + shipping assuming I can find it hiding in my shop.

GEM/ SJB does not need to be programmed. It is plug and play. BTDT.

Most common cause of GEM/SJB failure is water intrusion from a leaking windshield seal.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
295 Posts
Found the module and had my Ford shop install it. Thanks to Jeff and Automender for their help. (y)
Next is winter service appointment and a road trip to Corning, NY.🚗

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
313 Posts
Took it down to my guy for some maintenance. Oil & filter, cabin filter (found that someone had removed the last one and not replaced one). Was going to change the air filter but it's been all clean air highway miles and the filter was very clean. He blew out the incoming hose (pre-filter). Checked all fluids and tires, etc. All is good.

I had found a set of Hella horns on Woot for $10 so I grabbed a pair. They are much louder than the factory (not deafening louder, but still very noticeable). They also have that Euro sound. Recorded on iPhone, so hard to tell the difference in volume. Daylight OEM, night Hella

·
Registered
295 Posts
Follow up on winter service - I had my credit card out to pay the bill for doing filters, fluids, belts etc. Came to $6.25 to fix a turn signal light. Everything else is in good shape and we're ready to roll. Scrounged around the bottom of my purse for the $6.25.

Of course, nothing is that easy. Got out my TomTom to add addresses for Corning, NY. TomTom deleted all my maps and then told me it no longer supported my model. :mad: Nothing I did would re-load my supposedly life time of maps.
Tech support was useless. Bought a new one. Not a TomTom.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Follow up on winter service - I had my credit card out to pay the bill for doing filters, fluids, belts etc. Came to $6.25 to fix a turn signal light. Everything else is in good shape and we're ready to roll. Scrounged around the bottom of my purse for the $6.25.

Of course, nothing is that easy. Got out my TomTom to add addresses for Corning, NY. TomTom deleted all my maps and then told me it no longer supported my model. :mad: Nothing I did would re-load my supposedly life time of maps.
Had a similar experience with TomTom. I sold it and bought a refurbished Magellan. The only thing I don’t like is that the traffic antenna is built into the part that plugs into the lighter socket so it made it a bit more difficult to hardwire. Still easy to wire but had to hide that part and a socket versus just running a wire under and behind the trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,142 Posts

Driven this many, many times. Last was to bring my Buick home from Paxton Street. Map is old, fairly simple route. From the old days of R15 through Marysville was a pain, now R22 up the west side of the river much less stress. I never take I-180 around to Williamsport. GPS can do some strange things. I had a Tom Tom but last I had a Garmin. Since the fire, have not seen it. But since I do not travel no need.
Best of luck with your trip.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
10,142 Posts

While on the subject of when I used to travel. Pic, from Port Royal to Carlisle. Most fun place to drive provided you have a Bull that handles quick. Not too far from your area.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks Chart. I've made the drive up there once and the Bull handled it well. Just looking forward to getting out for a change. I've cancelled both my vacations this year (Lake Tahoe and So. Utah) because of Covid. Sticking close to home where the numbers are low.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I know I'm not supposed to do this, but I installed LED headlight bulbs a few weeks ago. My research led me to believe that they are being made properly now in so far as cut off is concerned and that some cheaper ones will work nearly as good as the super expensive ones. There are definitely cheap ones to avoid, but Amazon is selling quite a few with plenty of positive reviews.

After doing a lot of research, I realized that a few of the brands (which were getting good reviews) were really essentially the same bulb. Based on pictures showing the same bulb, I took a chance on a new vendor selling the bulbs for about $20 with a two year warranty instead of the usual one year warranty selling for anything from $35 to $50.

Sure enough, when they arrived, they were the same (I had already ordered the more expensive brand and subsequently returned it).

They work fine, have a very clean cut off and are definitely brighter. As bright as the stock HIDs in my Mercedes and also a similar white which is great because I don't like blue in my lights. With no adjustment, they were aiming a little low so I did have to adjust them up.

The nice thing is that LEDs tolerate a wider voltage so you don't need relays but I left mine on in case something goes wrong with the LEDs. For somebody on stock halogens, I would recommend skipping relays and / or expensive Sylvania / Philips and go straight to LEDs. The ones on Amazon all have a 1 year warranty and mostly free returns and even if they don't last a lifetime, you'll be happy because of the significant improvement in output. It is in the range of 2 to 3 times more light on the road.

Oh, the other good thing about doing this upgrade is that I discovered some chaffed wiring for the passenger side lights so got to fix that before the wiring rubbed through entirely.

Reactions: Parent's98

·
Registered
313 Posts
I know I'm not supposed to do this, but I installed LED headlight bulbs a few weeks ago....
Yours also uses the 9007 bulbs, correct? Do the LEDs support both high and low beam? Would love to see some pictures showing the cut off, maybe against the garage or wall at night. What brand? Maybe add a link from Amazon.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've replaced the headlight bulbs in both my '08 odyssey and '06 kia spectra with hikari led's from amazon, i belive something like the 2019 versions and they so far have held up perfectly, didn't need to adjust anything on the kia! Literal plug and play.

I replaced the taillights in my '02 taurus with red led's made by sylvania, spliced some resistors made by sylvania for this purpose into the wiring, and screwed them flat against the back of the metal housing the taillight assemblies attatch to. Also, working perfectly. Man, I love led's.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yours also uses the 9007 bulbs, correct? Do the LEDs support both high and low beam? Would love to see some pictures showing the cut off, maybe against the garage or wall at night. What brand? Maybe add a link from Amazon.

Yes 9007.
Yes high and low beam.
For cutoff, take a look at reviews on Amazon.

The brand I got first was Katana and was this product:

The brand I got next was NJSBYL which was identical but they no longer sell the 9007 bulb. There are other brands that are the identical product.

The Hikari brand is usually highly rated. They have a 9007 bulb for $40 right now so that may be a good choice:

There are other styles of bulbs by the same brands eg with separate driver and I think I saw a new slimmer style that may make installation easier. I settled on the style in the Katana link after going through a lot of reviews including at this website:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yes 9007.
Yes high and low beam.
For cutoff, take a look at reviews on Amazon.

The brand I got first was Katana and was this product:

The brand I got next was NJSBYL which was identical but they no longer sell the 9007 bulb. There are other brands that are the identical product.

The Hikari brand is usually highly rated. They have a 9007 bulb for $40 right now so that may be a good choice:

There are other styles of bulbs by the same brands eg with separate driver and I think I saw a new slimmer style that may make installation easier. I settled on the style in the Katana link after going through a lot of reviews including at this website:

Appreciate all the info, but as for cut off pics I don’t trust Amazon reviews for stuff that doesn’t have a well known brand name.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Driven this many, many times. Last was to bring my Buick home from Paxton Street. Map is old, fairly simple route. From the old days of R15 through Marysville was a pain, now R22 up the west side of the river much less stress. I never take I-180 around to Williamsport. GPS can do some strange things. I had a Tom Tom but last I had a Garmin. Since the fire, have not seen it. But since I do not travel no need.
Best of luck with your trip.
-chart-
Great trip. Beautiful weather. Minimal traffic. Did a glass making class at Corning Museum. (I have all the creativity of a third grader !) Bull drove well and got 26 mpg despite doing 70 in a lot of places.

Reactions: mcsteven and sheila

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Injected spray foam into black plastic rocker covers on the drivers side to keep them from falling off during the winter. Car has 216k miles and runs well but the area were the covers connect are starting to rot. Everything else looks pretty good. This will be the last winter for the car.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Picked up a new to me 98SE this morning. Need to tear into it to see what all it needs, but so far it drives perfectly with no lights. 133k on it, been parked for 2 years. Was able to drive it home. Guess I can't stay away from these things 😂

8221 - 8240 of 8244 Posts