Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

8201 - 8220 of 8244 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not anti all car tech, not even close. I do like tech and it has its place. I do also have a Prius (2004) after all.

(We tend to buy cars we like and hang onto them forever!)

I mostly don't like the 'hack-ability' and 'track-ability' of the newest cars.

The security is not there yet. One day it may be. Hopefully, it won't have to wait for some nut to do something tragic.

As for track-ability, not sure there's much anyone can do about that. For some reason, that bugs me just a wee bit.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
I have a Buick Lucerne with TBW and it is it's weakest point. I would be OK with it if it acted like a mechanical system. It responds depending on how fast you move the throttle as well as where the pedal is in it's travel. I have had this car for 1 1/2 years and it still is awkward. I also drove 2 GM U-Haul rentals and they did the same thing.
At least it is hydraulic steering, variable effort and it is very nice. I have driven couple electric steering cars and I very much dislike that.
On Fords,I have had 3 voltage reg's fail. On the Lin it is 2.5 hours and the DOHC Bull, 2 hours. On my '03 Sable wagon the voltage would range from 12.8 to 15.5V at driving speed. On the Lin, they just quit. One cost me $530 and a night in a motel. At 47K miles.
-chart-

·
Super Moderator
8,282 Posts
Agree about the electric power steering. I do not like the "feel" of it at all. Plus, it is powered by a powerful DC brush motor. By definition, DC brush motors are considered wear items and will fail for sure at some point, plus new electric PS racks often cost $1000+ just for the part. I have heard of electric PS racks failing at 100K to 120K miles.

PS pump in the 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe is still going strong with no seal leaks and no noises at 274K miles. Did have to replace the PS pressure line a year or 2 ago due to a very small leak at the fitting on the pump. (I hate fluid leaks), and also replaced the return line while I was at it. I did have to replace the 30+ year old PS rack a few years ago due to a small leak. Pretty easy job. Brand new (not reman) rack cost me $190, or less than 20% the cost of an electric PS rack.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
Brushless Application

A typical EPS steering application uses a bidirectional brushless motor, sensors and electronic controller to provide steering assist. The motor will drive a gear that can be connected to the steering column shaft or the steering rack. Sensors located in the steering column measure two primary driver inputs — torque (steering effort) and steering wheel speed and position.
My issue is EPS is has steps. Steering in steps is not nice in my experience. Then there is "feel". or the lack of it.

I am a fan of brush motors. Pic of my 70 year old lathe with 60 year old DC variable "bursh" motor. Power supply designed by me. It works great.
And just for whatever, pic of old rad fan JY edition. Pic also with brush pack removed. No chance of wearing those brushes out. G-4 Taurus.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
EPS is still in it's infancy. The EPS on our 12 Camry sucks. No feel. Over assisted. But, it's a Camry. I'm sure it's better on newer, higher-end cars.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
My '03 Taurus driven by my daughter but I have had it a few days so she could have the wagon to haul stuff. Seems it does not roll free first thing, like a brake is dragging. I took it on a one mile trip to the store, and after 15 mins. back one mile. Maybe up to 40mph max. Checked brake temp with IR gage and got ~105-110F on 3, but 147F on the left rear drum. I will looking at that tomorrow. Everything in there new year ago. Maybe parking brake cable. Will See.
-chart-

·
Registered
220 Posts
My '03 Taurus driven by my daughter but I have had it a few days so she could have the wagon to haul stuff. Seems it does not roll free first thing, like a brake is dragging. I took it on a one mile trip to the store, and after 15 mins. back one mile. Maybe up to 40mph max. Checked brake temp with IR gage and got ~105-110F on 3, but 147F on the left rear drum. I will looking at that tomorrow. Everything in there new year ago. Maybe parking brake cable. Will See.
-chart-
Funnily enough, that seems to be the brake that's dragging on my '95. Thinking out loud, here.... parking brake cable runs along the inside of the left rocker panel to the rear axle. At the axle, it splits into two cables, one going to the left disc (drum for you), and the other going to the right disc (drum for you). So.... cable pulls harder on the left side than the right, maybe?

·
Super Moderator
8,282 Posts
Put a new radiator in the 95 Vulcan beater today. Had gone to the food store in the 95 several days ago, and half an hour after getting back home went out and noticed a nice 2 foot in diameter puddle of coolant on the ground. Quick inspection showed obvious leakage from the bottom tube of the radiator. Ordered a new TYE brand radiator for $60 from Rock Auto which arrived at my door yesterday afternoon. Install went smoothly and would have almost been fun if it hadnt been sunny and in the high 80s and very very humid today. Inspection of the old radiator after I pulled it showed the bottom most most tube was seriously rotted and other lower tubes were nearly as bad. I cant complain as the radiator lasted thru 25 SE WI winters where they put as much salt on the roads as the amount of snow that falls.

Reactions: Parent's98

·
Super Moderator
8,282 Posts
^^^ I have had trouble with those crappy rubber gaskets between the plastic end tanks and the aluminum core. The new radiator is the same crappy design but I will consider myself lucky if I can get another 10 years of grocery getter duty out of it before it rots away to nothing (some rust now but none of it structural...... I still get compliments on how good it looks for a 25 year old car). Could have gotten an all aluminum radiator from RA for $160, but that would have doubled the value of the car :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Made a shop appt. There's a bad sensor somewhere that makes my airbag light come on, stops windows from going up and down and stops wipers from working. Sometimes it corrects itself after 10-15 mins, sometimes it doesn't happen at all. I swear, Third Bull always seems to know when there's a little extra cash in the bank. :giggle: I'd rather get it fixed now while it's in the semi operational mode, than get stuck somewhere when it's gone completely dead.

Reactions: Parent's98

·
Registered
295 Posts
Follow up to shop appointment - they couldn't find any codes or bad sensors, but did indicate I should consider a new GEM. Being a woman who loves pretty sparkly things, I don't think they meant I should run out and get a new pair of earrings. 😄 I'm pretty sure this means get something expensive installed since they mentioned a dealer has to do it.
I think I'll call the local dealer who works on our E450 vans and see what he can tell me. I don't want to get stuck somewhere in the dead of winter with nothing working. 😱

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
313 Posts
Had a few rainy days this past week so took Blűe to the car wash. Good vacuuming and wash with a microfiber cloth to grab the spots still wet. Headed off to explore the area I live in. Found a little hidden small boat and canoe launch / parking area. Picked up a lens the other day off Craigslist - super wide angle. The end of the lens was 34" away from Blűe (pic is right from the camera, no cropping). On the way back from exploring Mr. Longroof turned 134K miles.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Follow up to shop appointment - they couldn't find any codes or bad sensors, but did indicate I should consider a new GEM. Being a woman who loves pretty sparkly things, I don't think they meant I should run out and get a new pair of earrings. 😄 I'm pretty sure this means get something expensive installed since they mentioned a dealer has to do it.
I think I'll call the local dealer who works on our E450 vans and see what he can tell me. I don't want to get stuck somewhere in the dead of winter with nothing working. 😱
Seems to me that the airbag light has nothing to do with the GEM module. I would also think the airbag system would set a code specifically to that system and some scanners don't read those systems. I have heard that the wiring harness that the GEM connects to can corrode and cause issues. Maybe the airbag wiring goes through that connection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tested out my led head lights this morning. I installed them last night before dusk. Believe they're aligned but one may be higher. Don't need another repeat of how my ranger headlights were. Used to be PacificGreen98 on the ranger station but selling my ranger cuz I overheated it and didn't have the time or money to keep sinking into the poor girl. So question I know I'm new here and haven't posted anything even though I've been part of the forum for a little bit, but how often does the water pump fail or kill the engine on a 3.5l Duratec? What's the lowest miles you've seen one fail? Just wondering cuz I got a 14 limited and its got 62k

·
Registered
313 Posts
how often does the water pump fail or kill the engine on a 3.5l Duratec? What's the lowest miles you've seen one fail?
I don’t have personal experience but I’ve been seeing what looks to be about 100K miles. I would probably save a bit, and invest in having it replaced. Unless you are checking it often, I don’t think I would wait for it to fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,282 Posts
Coolant level started dropping in the adult daughters 13 Limited for no apparent reason 2 months ago with 125K miles. Told here to get rid of it before it gets worse. She traded it in (got $5.5K for it) on some kind of KIA CUV with 19K miles.

Reactions: mcsteven

·
Registered
313 Posts
KIA CUV with 19K miles.
I have a couple of friends that swear by their key is. If it’s a recent one, it’s probably the Nero or maybe the Sportage. Double check the year on it. They did have a problem with their 2 L turbo and 2.4 L NA motors. I think the problems were fixed by the 2015 model year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
Tested out my led head lights this morning. I installed them last night before dusk. Believe they're aligned but one may be higher. Don't need another repeat of how my ranger headlights were. Used to be PacificGreen98 on the ranger station but selling my ranger cuz I overheated it and didn't have the time or money to keep sinking into the poor girl. So question I know I'm new here and haven't posted anything even though I've been part of the forum for a little bit, but how often does the water pump fail or kill the engine on a 3.5l Duratec? What's the lowest miles you've seen one fail? Just wondering cuz I got a 14 limited and its got 62k
Well, hello, there! I am 1990RangerinSK over on TRS. Nice to have you join us.

I don't have an answer to your questions, I just replied to say hello.

·
Super Moderator
8,282 Posts
The KIA CUV is a V6. I did tell her to stay away from the 2.4 4 cyl turbo engine. I only saw the car once briefly and dont remember exactly what name was on the back of it...... I am not a fan of CUVs or SUVs..... I am a sedan / coupe guy.

8201 - 8220 of 8244 Posts