Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

8181 - 8200 of 8205 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Got a new a/c compressor installed, just in time for a heat wave here. 🥵 After 17 years, the original one finally died.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,769 Posts
After 30 years and almost ten months (build date 10/1989), the original starter finally gave out - as always, the car got me home and died in the driveway. Had it replaced within 24 hours. I'd have done it myself had I not been crippled five years ago, but hell...$259 for a new starter, spark plug change and an oil change ain't bad.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Fixed the heat shield over the exhaust pipe. Front fell down on the pipe. Screw rusted off on one side, other side the tab cracked. Drilled new hole on one side and sheet metal screw, other dise put a "door striker plate" under the screw head to hold up the metal. Works fine. Taurus. '03 miles 123.5K.
changed oil.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ran Blüe through the car wash. Need to clean out the interior and do a full interior cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Replaced original brake lines because they suicided. (thankfully, car was in driveway, not on the road.) 1995 Taurus GL wagon. 25+ years is a good run for brake lines, I think.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Saved myself from buying a 2010 Taurus. She's red, 55K miles, parchment interior. But it has the potential water pump problem. Plus the sales guy was jerk to me when I called. "You can have your husband come down and check out the engine." Bahhahha haa... my ex husband is dead and he wouldn't have known a water pump from a typewriter.😁

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Taurus has 5 year old + Walmart battery, starts fine but noted, acid on top so it is leaking. Anyway after 5 years likely has 10-20% capacity. Nice sunny day so got new WM battery same as the old one. Pic of damp battery and my keep alive battery. Tricked the door so it is open and no interior lights on. Battery box small amount of liquid so I used a cup of ammonia to kill that and wiped the excess out. Took the box bolts out 2 at a time, cleaned and put grease on the threads. Can't find my battery carrier so just had to do it the hard way. Once the new battery is in place noted it was in backward. The label on the new one is up side down. So take it out and turn it. Hook up the cables and then noted I forgot to put the safety cover on. Good thing I am not getting paid to do this.
Took a paint market and put the month and year on the battery in red.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Saved myself from buying a 2010 Taurus. She's red, 55K miles, parchment interior. But it has the potential water pump problem. Plus the sales guy was jerk to me when I called. "You can have your husband come down and check out the engine." Bahhahha haa... my ex husband is dead and he wouldn't have known a water pump from a typewriter.
Does that have the chain driven water pump that requires you to remove the engine to replace?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
Does that have the chain driven water pump that requires you to remove the engine to replace?

I'm 99.9% sure it does. It's a problem from the 2008 to 2014 V6 Duratecs. I'm thinking of retiring next year and the one thing I don't want or need is a major car repair. I'll hang onto Third Bull.

·
Super Moderator
8,110 Posts
The water pump issue didn't end with the 2015+ FWD Cyclones. Ford did redesign the water pump seals but the problem still exists.

It is not necessary to remove the engine to replace the water pump, but it is still a PITA to replace. I have a friend who is a Ford Senior Master Tech in upstate New York. He loves doing water pumps on the FWD Cyclones. The book time (hours he gets paid for to replace the pump) is somewhere around 14 hours, but he can do one without pulling the engine in 6 to 7 hours, effectively doubling his hourly wage.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I was contemplating a 2nd gen Mazda 6 with the 3.7L V-6, until I found out about the water pump issue and the work required to replace. I try to avoid those types of issues.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The water pump issue didn't end with the 2015+ FWD Cyclones. Ford did redesign the water pump seals but the problem still exists.

It is not necessary to remove the engine to replace the water pump, but it is still a PITA to replace. I have a friend who is a Ford Senior Master Tech in upstate New York. He loves doing water pumps on the FWD Cyclones. The book time (hours he gets paid for to replace the pump) is somewhere around 14 hours, but he can do one without pulling the engine in 6 to 7 hours, effectively doubling his hourly wage.
Thanks for the info Jeff. I think I'm just going to hang onto Third Bull till one of us drops dead. It's paid for, cheap insurance, gets great mileage, fun to drive and I've got a great mechanic to keeps my repair bills in check. I was just taken by a pretty red Taurus that I thought I just had to have.
(Kinda like the red shoes in the back of my closet I've worn maybe 3 times 🥰)

Reactions: sheila

·
Super Moderator
8,110 Posts
^^^ Same here...... I will hang on to all our old Fords as long as I can. I dont want cars with more electronics than the international space station has that no one has any clue how to fix when the electronics go bad. I dont want cars with unnecessarily complex engines and 8, 9 or 10 speed transmissions.

I over maintain my cars and expect to get at minimum 200K miles out of them without having to do any major repairs. I dont think any newer cars can fit that bill.

We recently took a 1300 mile road trip in the 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe (heavily modded and scary fast!). Rolled over 274K miles by the time we got home. It rides as good or better as any new car I have been in thanks to the electronically controlled shock / strut damping, has the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in, and averaged 27.7 MPG over the trip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I
^^^ Same here...... I will hang on to all our old Fords as long as I can. I dont want cars with more electronics than the international space station has that no one has any clue how to fix when the electronics go bad. I dont want cars with unnecessarily complex engines and 8, 9 or 10 speed transmissions.

I over maintain my cars and expect to get at minimum 200K miles out of them without having to do any major repairs. I dont think any newer cars can fit that bill.

We recently took a 1300 mile road trip in the 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe (heavily modded and scary fast!). Rolled over 274K miles by the time we got home. It rides as good or better as any new car I have been in thanks to the electronically controlled shock / strut damping, has the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in, and averaged 27.7 MPG over the trip.
I agree with keeping forever and overmaintaining a bit... I am also a fan of bench seats and space in the cockpit, something that most, if not all cars lack today. My split benches are really comfy when I have long trips or lots or lots of errands to do that means i have to spend hours in and out of my car. We have the Prius for a lot of our daily commute (if we ever get back to having one of those again) but i get claustrophobic after an hour in any 'cockpit' type car, even to a degree in that car, (a 2004, more than 200,000) which has more spacious feel than most cars that have come after. If i wanted the inside of a fighter jet, I would have joined the navy.

I really do hate the computerholic approach to cars. I love my convenience as much as the next person, but I've rebooted and occasionally rebuilt my crashed computers enough to know that stuff goes wrong in many and unpredictable ways. i don't need that at 70MPG for some reason.

I like my computers computery, and my cars, car-ish. My inner paranoiac also really doesn't like the amount of monitoring modern cars can do... I am not sure there's enough computer in my 95 Taurus to hack, but there definitely is a lot less connectivity. The modern car is so totally hackable and connectable... I can make enough dumb errors of my own, thanks. No need for malicious code, or just someone's bad code...

I do have a use for technology, don't get me wrong. There's a lot of tech I would not be without, including the tech that allows my car to be engineered with precision that didn't exist before computers were part of the build process. And GPS... And a cell phone for when I'm trapped in a ditch and cannot get out of my car that's invisible from the road...

I do love my old things, however... I still get a hankering for the old cars that were 'mechanicals' and 'electricals' and bodywork. For someone who wasn't an adult when those cars were the rule, I still have a love for simple.

I also like horses.:cool:

Blue

·
Registered
10,028 Posts

Back in '98, I drove my daughter's '95 T-Bird, V-8 for ~500 miles after lunch. As I remember, it one of the best rides I have had. It was comfortable, quiet, and lots of power. Back in the '80-'98 years I traveled a lot and drove many rental cars. Nothing compared to this T-Bird. However in the same year, I rented a ~new Park Ave. It was very quiet, comfortable, but lacking response. The 3.8 was way too old school. Needed to use gear "3" in any traffic or city driving. Gear "4" was so dead you could barely tell it was gaining speed.
-chart-

·
Super Moderator
8,110 Posts
As far as all the completely unnecessary and overly complex electronics in modern cars....... Electronics doesnt scare me. I spent my carrier as a physicist and electrical engineer. I designed and built tons of testing and validation instrumentation when I worked in the power generation and distribution industry. I have my own electronics shop in the basement with scopes, signal generators, DMMs, etc and design and build electronics projects for fun.

IMO, EFI and electronic engine controls are the best thing to come along next to duct tape and canned beer. It is all the other worthless crap I take issue with. Blind spot monitoring - I use my mirrors and eyes and a quick glance over my shoulder. Works every time. Automatic braking - pay attention to the road and leave a reasonable following distance. Works every time. Backup cameras and other backup aids - learn how to back up a car. Works every time. Electronic throttle bodies - stepper motors wear out and the pots in the "gas pedal" wear out. Been driving for almost 50 years and never had a problem with a throttle body or throttle cable on any car I have owned. I could go on and on......

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you're a good driver, assist systems don't detract from that. Unfortunately, not everyone is a good driver. Also, even the best drivers have moments where they get distracted, or tired, or something unexpected happens. You don't need assist systems until you need them.

And yes, throttle motors and TPS' wear out, but if you're going to tell me throttle cables don't have problems, I'm going to have to chortle.

8181 - 8200 of 8205 Posts