Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

8141 - 8160 of 8174 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I bought the parts nearly a year ago but finally got a place to work. My own garage.
-chart-
So, does that mean that you have moved back into your house?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Still in the apartment but wife and I go to the house each am and pm. She doing clothes and me in the garage and workshop. Counter top making halted due to PA limit of manufacturing. Being made in Scranton area. Two days and they would have been ready to install. Pic of kitchen, doing a test run of under counter lights. Carpet all done, light, heat, water, hot and cold, one commode working. In addition to counter top the tub and shower surrounding done by same outfit. Wife was in hospital July 3 for 4 times 20 days total then to physical therapy live in for 23 days but barely walking. Top issue heart and afib. Since Nov 1, she has gone from wheel chair and full time oxygen to walker, to cane, now no assist, no oxygen. At Christmas she did the first steps. Now driving again. Now she is down ~75# and having to go through all her clothes at the house. Apartment is not bad. Pay rent and gas/electric and everything else is included, including TV and internet. Half mile from the mall.
Thanks for asking.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Still in the apartment but wife and I go to the house each am and pm. She doing clothes and me in the garage and workshop. Counter top making halted due to PA limit of manufacturing. Being made in Scranton area. Two days and they would have been ready to install. Pic of kitchen, doing a test run of under counter lights. Carpet all done, light, heat, water, hot and cold, one commode working. In addition to counter top the tub and shower surrounding done by same outfit. Wife was in hospital July 3 for 4 times 20 days total then to physical therapy live in for 23 days but barely walking. Top issue heart and afib. Since Nov 1, she has gone from wheel chair and full time oxygen to walker, to cane, now no assist, no oxygen. At Christmas she did the first steps. Now driving again. Now she is down ~75# and having to go through all her clothes at the house. Apartment is not bad. Pay rent and gas/electric and everything else is included, including TV and internet. Half mile from the mall.
Thanks for asking.
-chart-
That's got to be frustrating on your house, so close to being done. We're all dealing with being on pause. Glad to hear that your wife is doing better. Stay healthy! BTW, I have 3.5 qts of Supertech Mercon V sitting in the garage with no vehicles to use it. You're welcome to it, if you're interested. I can drop it off next time I'm over that way - which might be a while with no work travel for now!

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Thanks, I can use your extra tranny fluid.
Our local area is going to be in a world of hurt. There are 5 motels in sight as I leave the apartment and go to the mall area to get to the highway. I can see all them at one time, 4 are 4 story, one 3 story, all big name. In 2018-19 they are booked solid in the summer tourist months. As I go by, the Hilton Garden Inn has no cars and Hampton next door has no cars. The lights are on so they must be open. In this lull, I am doing the utility room kitchen cabinets as opposed to the insurance paying someone else doing it. They were fairly nice used cabs but they sat in a carport for 2 years. And in my spare time, I have 3 Bulls and a Buick on the road, and now 6 drivers.
Harbor Freight recently opened here and I visit it from time to time. I do 98% of the shopping. Wife's Doctor does not want her exposed. Guess I am disposable. But I am pretty healthy for an old man.
-chart-

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Removed the back seat from the wagon today. Not much of note but did find a lost leather glove. Fortunate I saved the mate and now have my favorite gloves. Vacuumed all and under the seats. Now will have to go through the shop vac stuff and take out the money. Lots of coins under there.
-chart-

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Pic of my Sable sedan while back, annual check. Daughter drives that one and 2 kids riding.
She has not had this Taurus for a year yet and it was not that bad. This car was bit unusual as: when I got it used, nothing under the back seat which is normal, and nothing inside the console. On the other hand, when I got my Sable Wagon, there was lots of stuff inside the console. I pop the top and inspect a new arrival car. I used a grabber and fished out the petrified french fries. No money. The CD changer had 6 variety of music. From classic to George Jones. Maybe "his and hers".
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Today working on ABS. Light on and code is no signal from left front. Pulled connector and it ohms dead short. Unplugged and key on and it has C1155 which is circuit failure. So for sure the system is talking to the sensor. I do not know the ohms of good sensor but for sure is not short. Ordered new one. Decided to remove the old one and it was so corroded in the knuckle I had to chisel it out. Used electric drill to take the core out.
Then checked the sway arm links looking for the clunk in the front. Links seemed fine but movement in the right side outer tie rod end. Left side similar. Ordered new rod ends.
This on '03 Taurus with 118K miles.
-chart-

·
Registered
280 Posts
Removed the back seat from the wagon today. Not much of note but did find a lost leather glove. Fortunate I saved the mate and now have my favorite gloves. Vacuumed all and under the seats. Now will have to go through the shop vac stuff and take out the money. Lots of coins under there.
-chart-
Removed the rear seat and replaced it or removed it to use the well for something else? If it wasn’t replaced, what did you have in mind for the space?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Took it up, cleaned and used the vacuum, put the seat back in place. With 4 cars in the herd, and 6 drivers, removal and clean under the rear seat base is part of seasonal maintenance. With oil changes, tires, brakes, inspections it keeps this old coot busy.
-chart-

·
Registered
274 Posts
Had the CEL come on, so got to my shop for OBD reading. Misfire. It was due for a tuneup anyway. Wire set, plugs, coil pack, filters, gaskets. There went half of my covid check.
Just wish it would warm up so I could get out and do a complete detailing to get rid of winter crud.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Sorry for your issues. But glad you got help quickly. Misfires can be very costly if not fixed. Forgot your car year but coil fails are so common.
Best of luck.
-chart-

·
Registered
274 Posts
Its a 2003 Duratech. I've been lucky - this is only the second time in 11 years of owning it that the coil pack has failed. First time was just after I bought it. Previous owner had done zero maintenance on it other than a couple of oil changes.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Coil is a common fail but not so easy to change on the DOHC. I have a spare in my parts box. Found a new one at the JY. Far as I can tell from CarFax my Taurus is on original. Wagon had new MC on it when I bought it. I replaced the one on my Sable sedan.
Good maint. is preventive but the coil is just a known issue.
Best of luck.
-chart-

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well rats. :mad: Car ran fine for 2 days. Coming home last night CEL started flashing again. Shop was already closed for the day. Friend came over and read code - P0304. Took it back to shop, they're closed today - new Covid hours. So I left it and came home. I suspect there's a sensor that needs replacing somewhere.
Will deal with it Monday. It's not like I was going anywhere this weekend !

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Well rats. :mad: Car ran fine for 2 days. Coming home last night CEL started flashing again. Shop was already closed for the day. Friend came over and read code - P0304. Took it back to shop, they're closed today - new Covid hours. So I left it and came home. I suspect there's a sensor that needs replacing somewhere.
Will deal with it Monday. It's not like I was going anywhere this weekend !
Hmmm. Cylinder 4 misfire. What coil did they replace?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Indecisive years of Ford: day one, till present. My first cars. I had '35, '36, 39 and tried to make one engine from the three engines. Nothing interchanged. Than my '01 Sable, one year only fuel system. On the other hand, when I go to RA, some parts fit a wide variety of Ford products. Like brake pads.
-chart-

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Today, Taurus, new speed sensor left front, fixed the issue. New tie rod ends, fixed the clunk. Problem solved.
The sensor was a pain. Corrosion locked the cylinder part and I had to break the sensor, and drill/chisel the parts out of the hole. Used a Dremel with drum sanding to clean up the corrosion so the new one would fit in. On the tie rod end, I used dial caliper and measured the distance from the end of the rod to the nut which was only cracked loose. New joint to the same depth. I removed the jamb nut, filed the flats to fix some damage. Put the nut back on to the same depth for alignment. Checked the alignment with a string. close enough for now. New rear drums. Brakes very nice now.
Ready to trade it back with my daughter and I get my wagon.
-chart-

8141 - 8160 of 8174 Posts