Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

8101 - 8104 of 8104 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Bought her a stable mate to run with. Now I need 2 of all the performance mods!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Did an oil change yesterday with Castrol Edge 5w20 and a quart of Castrol Edge Euro 0w40 to thicken things up to prevent Duratec Drips. I got the 5w20 a few years ago for $1 a quart and have one more oil changes worth. After that, I will change to a high mileage 5w30.

A few months ago, I installed a mirror dashcam that records the front and back and also doubles as a rearview streaming and backup camera display. My daughter passed her driving test (first time with just one minor error) so this was "insurance" in case of accident. It turned out it is also a good way to review and improve her driving. The auto backup camera view is also helpful and the live streaming rear camera also has it's benefits once you get used to it since it has an unobstructed and much wider field of view. The mirror dashcam is wired to turn on and off with the car and the actual unit is hardly noticeable. Routing and hiding all the wiring was not difficult, nor was tapping into the reverse light wire, but I had to drill through the body behind the license plate for the rear camera cable.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Took my last 2001 Taurus to the scrape yard today. 121k miles but pretty bad body rot in the rear passenger side. Recently popped a brake line and plugged it off to get it to the scrape yard. Bought the car for my daughter to do go to college nine years ago with 68k miles and $5k. Younger daughter used it also after she graduate college also. It was pretty trouble free but needed a new gas
IMG_2526.jpg
IMG_2528.jpg
IMG_2531.jpg
tank and two fuel pumps. Put the ice and snow tires on it for the trip to the yard and saved the brand new Michelin X tires (1500 miles) mounted to aluminum rims. sadly I had didn't time everything right on new parts but we just have too many cars for an empty house right now. Only have one last 2006 Taurus and it may be scrapped after next summer. More body rot on the driver side rear. Just hate to put time into a car that is dropping rust pieces in the driveway.

At least they are going to part the car out and it will help other people out there. I got $200 for it and got $140 for the other 2001 with 200k miles at a scrap metal dealer. I think they saw some value in the one with only 121k miles.

8101 - 8104 of 8104 Posts