Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
8,081 - 8,100 of 8,386 Posts
Did a mod to 2nd gen light bar today, the light sockets were scorched and didn't care to have to pay for new bulbs and wire connectors. So added perhaps extra airflow to the radiator with holes drilled in front lenses and the light plugs removed from the rear. Didn't care for the dingy yellow lenses so painted satin black.

Just a little pre-winter maintenance. My shop did the work. (I could break a nail doing this stuff ya know !)
Changed out transmission fluid, new air filter, replaced coolant, serviced, transmission, flushed cooling system.
Had ABS code B1342 - module fault. Ran the self test and it passed, cleared the historic code.
I did new tires, struts, swaybar links this summer.

This will be my son's first ride. He will be getting his license soon. Purchased the car a few weeks ago and sorting it out! We worked on it a bit yesterday and I took him around the car to show him things about it. Air Filter and ECT changed. Got him a small emergency tool kit and air compressor. Checked and inflated his spare tire and also changed wiper blades. He really likes it!

2001 Silver Taurus took it's last rode trip to the salvage yard today. 200,038 miles at a cost of $10k seventeen years ago. It was one year old with 36k miles. Totaled five years ago by a deer running into her side. We got just under $3k and kept the car. Just took a headlamp, door and fender fron Pull A Parts which cost about $75. Can't beat around $500 a year plus maintenance for cost of ownership. If it wasn't for the body rot I would have kept her longer. Well just two Taurus in the driveway now.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Alloy wheel
Road Lane Highway Mode of transport Asphalt
Horse Stallion Tree Landscape Plant

2001 Silver Taurus took it's last rode trip to the salvage yard today. 200,038 miles at a cost of $10 seventeen years ago. It was one year old with 36k miles. Totaled five years ago by a deer running into her side. We got just under $3k and kept the car. Just took a headlamp, door and fender fron Pull A Parts which cost about $75. Can't beat around $500 a year plus maintenance for cost of ownership. If it wasn't for the body rot I would have kept her longer. Well just two Taurus in the driveway now. View attachment 215146 View attachment 215147 View attachment 215148
The "Claw"! I'd say you got your money's worth.

2001 Silver Taurus took it's last rode trip to the salvage yard today. 200,038 miles at a cost of $10k seventeen years ago. It was one year old with 36k miles. Totaled five years ago by a deer running into her side. We got just under $3k and kept the car. Just took a headlamp, door and fender fron Pull A Parts which cost about $75. Can't beat around $500 a year plus maintenance for cost of ownership. If it wasn't for the body rot I would have kept her longer. Well just two Taurus in the driveway now. View attachment 215146 View attachment 215147 View attachment 215148
I'm sad it reached the end, but I'm happy you at least allowed it to enter the prestigious 200K club before its death. That's my goal now for mine. It's not dead yet, lol. I've been putting it off all summer, but with snow already touching the tops of the mountains, it's aboot time for her to go under the knife.

I'm sad it reached the end, but I'm happy you at least allowed it to enter the prestigious 200K club before its death. That's my goal now for mine. It's not dead yet, lol. I've been putting it off all summer, but with snow already touching the tops of the mountains, it's aboot time for her to go under the knife.
200k was my goal also. My wife and I were pulling away from a stop light and heard a bang and steering seemed to change a little off center. That was at 199,800 miles. It was our daily driver and used it a lot. I inspected the front end and only saw that one strut seemed to have dropped about two inches. It wasn't a broken spring but it changed the toe in and the steering center. I shortened the tie rod a few turns and it fixed that issue. Drove it until I hit 200,038 miles. But I felt uncomfortable driving it long distances and we started using my 2006. My other 2001 is falling victim to the underbody rot so it doesn't get driven much and is the next to go. It recently popped a brake line in the front near the master cylinder which I haven't located yet. Hate working on cars with body rot, seems like a waste of time. Deciding whether to by a stainless steel pre-bent set for $145 or just replace the one line.

Saw my old Sable going down the road yesterday. Little old lady driving it. Still had the winter tires/wheels on it and the Magnaflow muffler.

Reactions: mcsteven
Replaced the windshield washer hose; replaced what appears to be the ORIGINAL cabin air filter - OMG!! - checked the IAC based on an issue here. Attempted to replace the TPS as well, but I don't have a short enough screwdriver to remove it. Will sort that out later. Also, when I purchased the car, I was pretty sure the heat worked, but now there's barely any. Temp gauge works so I'm wondering if any trash from changing the cabin filter fell in and is affecting blend doors.. sigh
I will say that disconnecting/reconnecting the battery ( I had it disconnected for at least 20 minutes) and letting it idle for about the same time, then driving it, seems to have helped the same issue above. Engaging AC doesn't make it want to surge like it did before..it still holds on to revs when I lift off the gas during driving but not as bad. So all in all, a good day

Started to prep my last 2001 to go to Pull A Part . Sad but it has 121k miles. Body rot is consuming it. Brake line just popped a couple of weeks ago and I though at first it was a rusted out transmission valve body pan but just a brake line. It was just under the tee at the master cylinder. 18 years in salt zone is too much for them. I cut the line becasue it fed the rear brake and plugged the tee. Bleed the brake and got a solid pedal. Going to swap tires to snow tires and keep the brand new all seasons. Noticed a bad CV boot and inner tierod end. That one was replace two years ago with a Motor Craft one.

Started to prep my last 2001 to go to Pull A Part . Sad but it has 121k miles. Body rot is consuming it. Brake line just popped a couple of weeks ago and I though at first it was a rusted out transmission valve body pan but just a brake line. It was just under the tee at the master cylinder. 18 years in salt zone is too much for them. I cut the line becasue it fed the rear brake and plugged the tee. Bleed the brake and got a solid pedal. Going to swap tires to snow tires and keep the brand new all seasons. Noticed a bad CV boot and inner tierod end. That one was replace two years ago with a Motor Craft one.
Boo. She had a good run though I suppose. Time is unending but metal isn't.

Boo. She had a good run though I suppose. Time is unending but metal isn't.
I am a little disappointed with the ownership on this one but it is probably my fault. Bought it for $5k and 68k miles in 2010 for my daughter to use in college. Put 60k miles on it over that 9 years. Did brake lines, struts, fuel pump, plugs, AC clutch and tires. I had major water leak on the driverside and had to replace the floor pan and fix the leak up by the parking brake. It had a trans leak from the input shaft only when it was 10 degrees or below but only dripped a few teaspoons. I fabed a little tray to catch it and attached it to the trans. Never had an issue after that. The only regret is that I didn't drive it more to get the value out of it. The brake lines put me over the edge because of safety issues and I was afraid I would not be able to fix a rear flat on the road due to compromised unibody due to rust.

We just bought a 2019 Rav4 hybrid which is going to be our daily driver and have a 2015 Lexus ES350 for the long trip car. We use a 2008 Nissan Xterra for utility stuff and will be getting rid of my 2006 with 212k miles next year. Body rot is killing the 2006 also. 28 years of Taurus ownership will end next year but saw a 2003 SES with 50k miles on it at a Ford dealer but they wanted $5500 for it.

28 years of Taurus ownership will end next year but saw a 2003 SES with 50k miles on it at a Ford dealer but they wanted $5500 for it.
Dealers will always want top dollar for low mileage cars, regardless of how old they are.

Dealers will always want top dollar for low mileage cars, regardless of how old they are.
Yep. Of course I think low miles can be a negative. Cars need to be driven often and long enough to get thing warmed up good. See pic of one with 15K and bottom the door rusted bad. AVOID the likes of this. Miles do not make rust.
-chart-

Attachments

8,081 - 8,100 of 8,386 Posts