Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

8061 - 8080 of 8090 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
^ Dappersworth, did you get the old filter neck ring gasket completely out of the tranny? ^ mcsteven, how many qts. in a case of atf?
Yeah I got it out, I used a flathead screwdriver to bend the ring gasket inwards. Was surprised to find out its a short metal tube covered in rubber.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would much rather spend locally if it’s within a couple of dollars or 10% but it was hard to beat a case of Motorcraft Mercon V from Amazon, delivered, for $71.99
I initially had some fluid in 1 bottle that was bought for power steering. Much later when getting ready to do the transmission fluid, went to walmart and got 4 quarts of the supertech(walmart) brand mercon v cause that's all they had at the time, and then went to autozone and bought 2 more (castrol brand) to make 6 cause I thought 6 and then some would be enough. After I was done for the most part with the transmission fluid change and was at the stage of filling it back up, realized that 6 and a like, 1/4, wasn't enough, went back to walmart and bought 2 more quarts of supertech. I've got half a bottle of supertech left after it all.

Supertech Mercon V = about $4.70
Castrol Mercon V = about $8.00
Carquest Mercon V = about $7.00? (Bottle originally bought for powersteering)

Something in the ballpark of 56$ after tax on fluid for 8 bottles. Would've been like $41 if it was all supertech.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
At my Walmart the Castrol ATF is $5.78/qt or $20.87/gal. Mercon V is harder to find usually, but I used the TRANSMAX IMPORT Multi-Vehicle Automatic lately instead of the Mercon V. Comparing the datasheets they are virtual identical, with the Import one slightly better. On the box it says it "meets the requirements" of Ford Mercon V too...

·
Super Moderator
7,688 Posts
^^^^^ The ONLY thing that belongs in your tranny is Mercon V. No additives of any kind no matter what the additive bottles say.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ok, it wasn’t today. It started on Sunday the 21st and ended Sun the 28th. I drove it cross country from Oakland, CA to Middletown, CT.

Around town I was getting 15-16.5 mpg. Check out the highway mileage! The 22 & 23 were before I realized that the low grade in Utah, Wyoming, and more was 85 octane.

So, any Connecticut area members? I’ve moved (back) here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Rotated my tires and fixed (hopefully) a transmission leak, noticed it when I looked under the car after moving it to a flatter surface. Idled the car again after adjusting a few bolts and didn't see any leakage.
Picture of car included because why not? Haven't posted a picture yet. Best color in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Rotated my tires and fixed (hopefully) a transmission leak, noticed it when I looked under the car after moving it to a flatter surface. Idled the car again after adjusting a few bolts and didn't see any leakage.
Picture of car included because why not? Haven't posted a picture yet. Best color in my opinion.

For the third and fourth generation sedans I do like the silver. I prefer the blue for the wagon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Honestly I'm not even sure my synchro is going bad, the squeaking sounds more like a bearing for one of the serpentine belt pulleys. It doesnt sound like an actual bird, it's a bit less high pitched. As for the maf sensor, it's for the running rich problem I'm having. But theres a high pitched whining coming from the underside of the right side of the car around the middle, could that just be the fuel pump? Brother thinks it's a vaccum leak.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just installed the mach audio tweeters and rcu, my radio (i think) no longer dims with the beat of the bass! Also, the right tweeter doesn't work, as far as I can hear, not sure why.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fixed a passenger front window that was stuck down. Noted a lack of clicking when hitting the up button on either the driver or passenger side control. After much reading here and too much disassembly, I figured out the culprit was the driver switch.

The solution was a $7.99 can of CRC QD Contact Cleaner. Applied liberally to the switch--from the top--and it came back to life.

Fix-in-a-can is my kind of wrenching...

·
Registered
8 Posts
This should be labeled what have I done to my bull this summer lol

2008 Ford Taurus SEL

Sitting at 138700 miles in my driveway, it has been driven over 35000 miles since March 2018 and has happily obliged, including a 1300 mile road trip through the Eastern US.

These past two months have been pretty expensive car repair wise.

I had to grease and lubricate my calipers which were making a very bad creaking noise, that went away.

My car seemed to clunk clunk whenever slight throttle was put on it after reaching 6th gear from 45-60 mph. This ended up not being a transmission problem like I initially thought but was instead spark plugs! I replaced all six of my spark plugs and boots (they inspected each coil and all were fine and had no issues so they were not replaced. I am thinking this was an intemittent misfire as it went away immediately after replacement. Was 260 dollars for this.

Then after starting my eastern us road trip my car started making a signficant creaking noise from the suspension. It got worse over the course of the trip and my right side of my car started vibrating alot more than usual. Immediately got an appointment ASAP with my trusted local mechanic who did not have an opening for 12 days. The suspension noise continued to get worse.

Turns out my right lower ball joint was bad ("completely loose") and the bushings in the rear control arm were fairly worn. Was given a brand new lower control arm with ball joint and bushings. The lower engine torque mount of my car was bad as well. All of these were replaced and with an oil change it ended up costing well over 500 dollars.

My parking brake will not lock, not that it matters but they called me telling me it was bad but that it would be up to me to replace it, which I decided against.

My car is doing good for a car with 138,000 miles but has been pretty expensive these past few months, especially considering I do not make that much!

·
Registered
178 Posts
This should be labeled what have I done to my bull this summer lol

2008 Ford Taurus SEL

Sitting at 138700 miles in my driveway, it has been driven over 35000 miles since March 2018 and has happily obliged, including a 1300 mile road trip through the Eastern US.

These past two months have been pretty expensive car repair wise.

I had to grease and lubricate my calipers which were making a very bad creaking noise, that went away.

My car seemed to clunk clunk whenever slight throttle was put on it after reaching 6th gear from 45-60 mph. This ended up not being a transmission problem like I initially thought but was instead spark plugs! I replaced all six of my spark plugs and boots (they inspected each coil and all were fine and had no issues so they were not replaced. I am thinking this was an intemittent misfire as it went away immediately after replacement. Was 260 dollars for this.

Then after starting my eastern us road trip my car started making a signficant creaking noise from the suspension. It got worse over the course of the trip and my right side of my car started vibrating alot more than usual. Immediately got an appointment ASAP with my trusted local mechanic who did not have an opening for 12 days. The suspension noise continued to get worse.

Turns out my right lower ball joint was bad ("completely loose") and the bushings in the rear control arm were fairly worn. Was given a brand new lower control arm with ball joint and bushings. The lower engine torque mount of my car was bad as well. All of these were replaced and with an oil change it ended up costing well over 500 dollars.

My parking brake will not lock, not that it matters but they called me telling me it was bad but that it would be up to me to replace it, which I decided against.

My car is doing good for a car with 138,000 miles but has been pretty expensive these past few months, especially considering I do not make that much!
It is crazy how those bad plugs or COPs feel like a trans problem. I probably could have just done the plugs on my 2008 but I found the whole COP kit with plugs and gaskets for around $150.00. I replaced the 3 rear COPs first and eventually had a front one go bad. Kinda surprised you haven't had a COP die yet. Gonna do the back brakes, which are the originals (100,000 miles!), in the next few weeks.

8061 - 8080 of 8090 Posts
About this Discussion
8.1K Replies
474 Participants
Automender12345
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing