Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

8021 - 8040 of 8119 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Opened glove box the other day and my emergency road trip snacks were half eaten. A little critter ate about 3 ounces of cookies in a snack pack and started on another. My wife cleaned out the eaten packs but the next day the uneaten packs were also eaten, another couple of ounces gone. I set three mouse traps baited with vanilla creme cookies, evidentially it's favorite. One in the glove box and two under the front seats. This critter was riding around with us for days if not weeks. Check the traps this morning and it couldn't stay away from those cookies and ate it's last. Reset the traps tonight in case there are more.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,009 Posts
Finally got the oil changed on the 2010. Even with an incline, that pan takes forever to drain, and the filter is deceptive - you'd think it'd be no hassle, but it's all too eager to dump its cargo as soon as you get it a turn loose.

Yesterday (the 1st) marked one year of ownership, though I didn't take delivery until the 2nd.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,753 Posts
Finally got the parts I needed (new radiator and power steering pump with reservoir) and as usual, Rock Auto had the best prices. I got tired of replacing radiators every four or five years when a side tank would split open, and they had an all-aluminum unit guaranteed to fit my model so I grabbed it. It passed my pressure and leak tests, all good. The old PS pump leaked like a sieve! - I never will buy another Dorman component...only got eleven years out of the previous PS pump.

I'm still rather crippled as of late so I had a trusted mechanic install the new parts. He also found the RF brake caliper was frozen (I'd suspected it) and he buys Bosch components, so I OKed that and he also confirmed the LF wheel bearings were shot. That was a disappointment, as they only were 6 years old - and Timken, to boot, which I thought were good bearings. Live and learn. I had him do those for me, too. I could handle it, over a weekend's time but why bother?

Richie did all the work and the bill came to $612 total. (The radiator and PS pump I supplied were another $165, waiting on the $25 pump core refund.) I thought that was eminently fair. The car is quiet again and tracks straight, stops on a dime and no longer leaks anything that I can see. Next up...saving up for some corrective rust removal (surface stuff around the tailgate window and the roof rack) and a body repaint. Also, time for a tire rotation and all-wheel alignment. Its 30th birthday comes up in October, gonna have it ready by then. :)

These Michelins I put on the wagon (and the wife's Volvo 240) hardly have started to wear after two years. They're guaranteed for 80,000 miles and I bet they'll pass that easy. :)

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
Hood Latch

'03 Sable wagon, hood latch stuck.
I had to use 3 extensions on 5/16 socket, quarter inch drive to remove the latch reaching through the grille. Got if off with some extra effort and some skinned hand.
In the sink now with some tub cleaner to get the salt and rust free. Still cannot move the latch. It is open now but cannot close it due to binding of grit. I had had this before so I know the routine.

-chart-

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
From the winters or something else?

Sent from some little thing I hear voices from.
The Sable grille is very open and the latch is right in the line of water/salt spray. Temporary living in apartment with no place to do winter maint.

Fortunate the Sable has a fairly easy to remove latch without opening the hood.

-chart-

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,009 Posts
Washed and waxed the pair of them, and used some plastic restorer on the rocker covers and cowling.

Paint shines up okay.

·
Registered
22,565 Posts
Tire rotation, oil/filter, ps fluid, brake fluid, atf, coolant, cabin filter and eng. air filter on 3 cars. Draggin' tonight, lol!!! Git 'er dun!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Tire rotation, oil/filter, ps fluid, brake fluid, atf, coolant, cabin filter and eng. air filter on 3 cars. Draggin' tonight, lol!!! Git 'er dun!
I'm hard pressed to get that much done on one car!

·
Registered
22,565 Posts
Had to go into pit bull mode/mentality, lol! To be honest, the 3 cars were Impalas, no atf pan/filter to r&r, just an 11mm drain plug. Drain 6 qts. add 6 qts. Also, no serviceable fuel filter.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,009 Posts
Drain and fill on ATF sure is quicker than the older drop the pan and make a mess method. My 2010 is five quarts, real easy drain bolt access.

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
I'm hard pressed to get that much done on one car!
Know how that is. I am trying to keep 3 on the road. And do not have a garage to work in or house to park I front of. The apartment complex has strict rules about any car work. I rent a garage but it so small I can barely open the door to get out of the car. It is going to warm up and I can use my daughter's carport.
-chart-

·
Registered
201 Posts
A day or 2 ago...

Today after some elbow grease and a neighbor who taped them off and sprayed clear coat via the compressor...

I’m looking forward to cleaning it (too tired tonight) but really want to see the difference of light output.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've swapped every speaker in the car with donors from various Lincoln premium systems.
The last one was the subwoofer box from an Aviator. They have a dual voice coil 8" woofer with a little amp that pushes 80w at it. I mounted the box/amp combo right below the rear deck, emulating where I saw they installed the same thing in the Towncar. Fits very nicely there, keeps it out of the way and hidden, doesn't block the trunk.

I'm planning a proper write up on the whole procedure, plus information on the OEM speakers and amps I've been working on in the audio forum at some point.

·
Registered
201 Posts
So this happened today:

Mounted 225/45-17s on 17x8 wheels. Still need to buy some center caps. Drove it a few blocks to get the alignment done and they tell me it needs inner tie rods. So, it will sit until Friday when those show up, then get installed and a four wheel alignment done. Hopefully that’s it for a while.

8021 - 8040 of 8119 Posts