Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

8001 - 8020 of 8114 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Well the day has finally come to say goodbye to Frankenwagon. Someone locally bought it and will pick it up tomorrow when he has the title transferred and plated.
Patience pays off! I'm sure you have mixed feelings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Patience pays off! I'm sure you have mixed feelings.
I do have mixed feelings. I took the listing down, then about an hour later posted it again to refresh the listing and said that if it's not sold by 1/1/19 I'm just going to keep it. Not even 30 minutes later I got 3 of the ever so common $200 idiots, then the one that came and bought it. Sad to see it go, but the money is very welcome at this point. I thought he was going to come back tomorrow, but when I went out to go get pizza for dinner the car was already gone :lol2: Oh well, I had everything out of it already, signed as-is bill of sale and the cash so it doesn't matter now.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ordered a bunch of stuff. Hopefully get it installed before Christmas.

For the front: Bendix brake pads, Monroe strut spring assemblies, Moog ball joints & stabilizer links

For the rear: Bendix brake pads, Monroe shocks, Moog stabilizer links

Next up: custom center console. Got it designed, need to get it cut. When I lost use of my dominant hand they took away my use of some machines at the local maker co-op.

Sent from some little thing I hear voices from.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Daughter driving my '03 wagon, DOHC. Calls and said it cranks but will not start. I drove by and took her to work. Back at the wagon, cranked and it seemed to fire on one cylinder but not others. I pushed the pedal to the floor and it ran on couple cylinders and over maybe 3 seconds the others came back and I could hold 3K and the cloud of smoke behind cleared out. Then OK.
Asked my daughter about the night before, as I have done this. Start a cold engine for a few seconds and shut it off it may be flooded the next start. Happened on new Lin. Service manager I asked told me, it happens from time to time. Need to floor the pedal to get it "un-flooded". In my daughter's case, she tried over and over to start it this morning with no luck. In her case, she started it and move it forward about half a car length night before.
I have tried to put a car in "N" and rev it up if started for a very short period before shutting down.

Just sharing.

-chart-

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
My Sable would occasionally start up fine, then run really rich, belching blue/black smoke. Needed to rev it for 30 sec or do to clear it out. Then, ran fine. Only happened a few times a year. Always wondered if it was a leaky injector.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
My Sable would occasionally start up fine, then run really rich, belching blue/black smoke. Needed to rev it for 30 sec or do to clear it out. Then, ran fine. Only happened a few times a year. Always wondered if it was a leaky injector.

I never discussed the "flood clear" mode with my daughter. Time to do that and also with my grandson. And some chance of water in the gas. Today I was not in the problem solve mode so I took her to work first. And I pre judged and thought the fuel pump quit. So when I got back to the car, first thing I keyed the ignition and heard the pump so I could rule that out.

That "flood clear mode" should be know to car drivers. Also to never use the pedal to start the fuel injected car with this the only exception.

Combustion makes N2, CO2, CO, and H2O. Cold cylinders leave the water as liquid unless the engine is run to the point the combustion gasses stay above steam liquification temperature. Takes only several seconds. Rev it a bit and helps clear out the liquid water. A cold water wet plug will not fire no matter how much power the ignition has.

This morning, 28F and fog.

-chart-

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Rotated batteries today to my one 2001 from my 2006. 2001 had a dying battery while 2006 was two years old. Installed a new battery in the 2006. I got an Interstate brand battery for $72 from BJs Wholesale Club. Lowest cost 36r battery I have found and Interstate is a great brand around here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maintenance

Today I checked all the air pressure in my tires and check fluid levels. As vehicle owners, how often do you check your vehicle fluids and such just ordinary routine maintenance?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Third Bull got towed to the fixit shop. Temp gauge kept shooting up to the Hot mark. Then it would go down for a few miles, and then go up again. No coolant leak that I could see, no low oil. I suspect it's a thermostat, faulty gauge, or sensor or something expensive ! I've never replaced the thermostat or had any temp sensors done. Regardless, I wasn't willing to drive it and that's what I pay AAA for.

Good thing I paid off my Christmas credit card bill ! What a way to start the New Year.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,751 Posts
Today I checked all the air pressure in my tires and check fluid levels. As vehicle owners, how often do you check your vehicle fluids and such just ordinary routine maintenance?
I grew up in the 1960s, started driving in 1971 and old habits never die! I check tire pressure the first of every month, and all fluid levels every Saturday morning. It may sound a bit much, but I get a lot of years and mileage out of my cars.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
I saw my wagon today. Daughter stopped by the apartment and dropped off some things. Did not shut the engine off. Stop and go. I should get it back this next weekend.

-chart-

·
Registered
191 Posts
... As vehicle owners, how often do you check your vehicle fluids and such just ordinary routine maintenance?

I check the 4 tire pressures, oil level, tension and condition of the belt, and give the coolant llevel a visual check every time I get gas. So that’s roughly once every 7-10 days, 2 weeks max if I haven’t been going anywhere. I check the spare tires (yes, 2) air pressure, tranny fluid level, power steering fluid, and if it’s been weather where I’ve used the windshield washers, I will top off those all on the same day I pay the insurance premium each month.

I don’t have anything that’s auto payment so I avoid their mistakes of over charging, etc. and it allows me to keep updated on any changes, price increases, etc.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Probably time to start a build / “what have I done” thread.

A client that I trade with, a stereo, tint, customs shop, needed some work. So, ....

·
Registered
247 Posts
Whew....it was just a cracked radiator hose. In and out of the shop in a few hours, back to my daily drive.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,004 Posts
Had a burnt out license plate bulb on the 2010, so I checked the type and ordered them.

Multiple parts catalogs and tutorials list Type 168 bulbs for my car, with 2011+ switching to 6418s. I pulled down the light housings this morning to find...you guessed it, 6418s. :eyeroll:

After I ran to get the proper bulbs, replaced both for good measure.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Finally had time when the mechanic had time. Had the parts sitting in the cargo area for a while. Started with some new brake pads & turning the rotors at all 4 corners,

then up front adding new ball joints, strut & spring assemblies, and sway bar connectors.

Thursday is shocks in the back and alignment.

8001 - 8020 of 8114 Posts