Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 3364 Posts

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Ha yes. I've been behind some people that come to a complete stop on an onramp merging into at least 80 mph traffic!
That makes me go crazy when people do that. It's so freaking dangerous.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
What gets my cork out tends to be things like people saying they have a 92' Taurus instead of a '92 Taurus (who ever saw a 92-foot-long Ford??)....and having 10$ in their wallet, instead of $10....there are more, but these are the worst.
I do the 92' like that all the time. Maybe ill try and change that. Didn't even think it was wrong!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Im a detail guy as in i used to detail for my job now i do it as a hobby of some sort. I hate it when people touch, rub, or lean on my paint..... DRIVES ME INSANE! then they always come back at me with "it didnt even scratch it man".... it didnt put scratches that YOU can see...

And sorry for anyone that has this already. I dont like when people take factory wheels and paint/powdercoat them. In my head, just get some new wheels bro.

And lastly, completely unrelated to cars. People that make bodily noises too loud. Like chewing, breathing, sniffling, swallowing, or coughing. bleck.....

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
I can relate on the detail stuff, I used to work at a detail shop until my manager got on my last nerve one day. Now I detail cars on the side. There is one guy I detail for who buys **** cars off Craig's list and then resells them (not my business). I detailed a car for him and he's trying to tell me how to shampoo carpet. I simply said "who's the detailer and who's the cars owner?" When he got the car back it was still a piece of garbage but the carpet looked damn good. He now respects the 18 yr old that can detail a car better than he could dream of doing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
217 Posts
i've been at that point where i have painted a car and had it looking like glass and then i show someone and their first instinct is to run their hand along the side of it to "feel" the smoothness. I just spray em in the face with a shot of clear and say "do you ever feel a mirror for its 'smoothness'?" i just threw up some pics of the ride in the photos area if yall wanna check it out.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Ok here's another one...

The fact that a simple plastic case for a phone retails for $30+! Seriously it can't cost more than $1.50 for materials, manufacture, and distribution. Ugh. Thankfully amazon usually has good deals on them.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ok here's another one...

The fact that a simple plastic case for a phone retails for $30+! Seriously it can't cost more than $1.50 for materials, manufacture, and distribution. Ugh. Thankfully amazon usually has good deals on them.

Exactly...picked up three for my phone @ $0.44 each...plus shipping, came to a little over $6 all in all. Kiosk at the local mall wanted $20 plus tax:lol2:.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I also hate it when people on on ramps are driving 35 when they merge and the speed limit it 60+. This is why all new cars must have a 15 sec 0-60 or faster...
When I enter an on ramp, soon as I get to the straight part I put the gas pedal right to the floor and let the engine open up. It's a pretty good feeling, I can't understand why so many people refuse to do that.

There's always someone blocking the right lane. :angry:

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,753 Posts
When I enter an on ramp, soon as I get to the straight part I put the gas pedal right to the floor and let the engine open up. It's a pretty good feeling, I can't understand why so many people refuse to do that.

I share this one as well. The answer to this is that people aren't taught to drive a car, they are taught how to operate a motor vehicle. No one taught me how to downshift and pop the clutch in snow, to break my rear end out of the way of some SFB sliding through a redlight into a direct T-bone hit on me....no one except Motor Trend in the mid-1970s taught me how to do a 4-wheel drift in a FWD vehicle, in an article by Stig Blomqvist the SAAB factory race driver - great article!...and it was Bob Bondurant's school that taught me a car won't blow up doing 30mph in reverse. (The engine might, but that's another story.)

I was taught to drive at 25mph downtown, merge onto a rural interstate at 50 mph, and do a K-turn. (That strained that stupid Valiant to its limits, anyhow.) That, and call all Massachusetts State Police troopers SIR, and I passed my test. I first knew I had to master the are of DRIVING when I went into a turn too fast on a snowy curve on Amostown Rd, near Birch Park Circle (that's for 04 SEL's benefit lol), and hit the brakes in my 1965 Corvair, and did a teacup into the snowbank. Embarrassing, when a girl I had the hots for came by while I was digging my car out of the snow with my bare hands.:wub:

I love Memory Lane!

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I share this one as well. The answer to this is that people aren't taught to drive a car, they are taught how to operate a motor vehicle. No one taught me how to downshift and pop the clutch in snow, to break my rear end out of the way of some SFB sliding through a redlight into a direct T-bone hit on me....no one except Motor Trend in the mid-1970s taught me how to do a 4-wheel drift in a FWD vehicle, in an article by Stig Blomqvist the SAAB factory race driver - great article!...and it was Bob Bondurant's school that taught me a car won't blow up doing 30mph in reverse. (The engine might, but that's another story.)

I was taught to drive at 25mph downtown, merge onto a rural interstate at 50 mph, and do a K-turn. (That strained that stupid Valiant to its limits, anyhow.) That, and call all Massachusetts State Police troopers SIR, and I passed my test. I first knew I had to master the are of DRIVING when I went into a turn too fast on a snowy curve on Amostown Rd, near Birch Park Circle (that's for 04 SEL's benefit lol), and hit the brakes in my 1965 Corvair, and did a teacup into the snowbank. Embarrassing, when a girl I had the hots for came by while I was digging my car out of the snow with my bare hands.:wub:

I love Memory Lane!
That's a sharp turn if you're going too fast haha. Try coming out of the street next to birch park right at the end of that curve. It's literally a gamble wether or not there's a car coming.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,753 Posts
If I remember rightly, that was Chester St heading toward downtown from the curve or Lincoln St headed toward Dewey St. They were both murder, but Lincoln was a side street whereas Chester St was a shortcut from Rte 5 and the high school that only locals knew about. If some jackwagon was coming up the hill from the pool too fast on Amostown (like me, usually lol) there'd be a good accident at the top of the hill.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Oh man I can fill this thing up with gripes from work. We have a new VP in the IT department so the 'self entitlement, I'm better than everyone else' crowd does nothing but complain so they get their way. He's coming around though and realizing how annoying these people can really be. LOL

I walked into an office yesterday(which I'm going BACK there tomorrow for 'PR') and said that the IT toilet bowl just walked into the door, cause I'm about to get **** on listening to the complaints. :lol2:

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts

Well it's good to let the motor open up! Lets the mixture go nice and rich and cleans the carbon deposits out of the cylinders and intake valves.

I don't understand it either.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Lgbpop - I understand where you are coming from. I wasn't even taught how to drive a 'motor vehicle' lol, I taught myself. I just got in the car and drove one day and did a fine job from then on out... Got my license easily and sweet!

I have learned how to really drive a car over the short amount of time that I have been driving for. I've had the pleasure of driving many different cars and learned much about how to drive through them. From a tiny sub compact car to a full on 25' truck with a ford v10, to a 556hp CTS-V sports car, from manual to automatic, I've driven quite a few different cars for my age. No one taught me how to drive a 25' truck, I got in and drove and figured out how to do it quite easily! Then my mom drove it for 5 minutes, hopped two curbs, slid against another, and nearly took out a light pole and almost clipped a car... Guess I just have a natural talent for driving. Still have plenty to learn though. I've had the pleasure of going to the track and driving some fairly fast cars around it. That's a quite fun way to learn how to drive.

However I must say learning how to control a car in snow or ice is the ultimate thing to master. We don't get tons down here, but enough to get all the snow driving I want in. My girlfriends mom spun out her vw passat 5 times while she owned it in snow. I drove it for a year. One giant snow storm happened and I learned how to drive it on the interstate in blizzard like conditions with blowing snow and a few inches already on the ground. Kept it in a lower gear (5 speed manual), enough said. I drove the Mercury in a snow storm at the beginning of the month. No TCS or ABS functioning at this time. Fog lights were out too. I drove slowly and learned how to control my speed so I could make it up the next hill, or stop in time for the light, or take off from a stop without spinning the wheels.

Lots to learn from driving. I have much more to learn, but have learned much through the years. I'm sure others can relate who have had decades more driving expirence than me.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Oh god, where could I even start?
People who don't appreciate what they've been given
People who drive 5-10 under the limit (Admittedly I'm a 5-10 over guy) and then when you pass them, THEY SPEED UP!
People who show no appreciation for hard work
My old boss. Talk about the most frustrating man ever. Outside of work he was pleasant enough, but man, I could've smacked him so many times, I was the only minimum wage "Labor Bitch" working at an upstart campground, and he treated me like dirt. It's okay, we had a 5 speed 4banger GMC Sonoma that I literally fell in love with, and I hooned the everloving daylights out of it. Especially when it was spring and muddy. The fields outback became a 1st and 2nd gear warzone. I've seen the truck since I got ahold of it, the mud is still caked in places mud should never go.
Another thing that gets to me is when people leave my house and leave the lights/TV on. Is that necessary? Nooooooooooooope

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

I love Memory Lane!

Completely agree. I went to driving school, and it's literally how to operate the vehicle and abide by the laws. There's so much more to driving than parallel parking and stopping for stop signs. Some have a better aptitude than others for real world driving. It comes naturally for me, I like to think I'm a self taught skilled driver for my age. Still have alot to learn though. When I went for my first on-road lessons at the school, the instructor said that I could go take the license test and I'd pass no problem. Still had to finish the driving hours though. Oh well.

Good hand/eye coordination, common sense, and intelligence is all you need to drive well. Assuming that you also watch out for the numbskulls out there.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
1. On country roads. Someone pulls out from a side road, goes a few hundred feet then turns off. Could have waited 10 seconds more for me to pass by before pullling out as no on was behind me. Esp. when I'm driving 40 ton of tractor/trailer!

2. Driving in dim lighting condition, rain, city lights and leave headlights off.

3. Any of the 'marts or big box stores on Friday night. Avoid if all possible.

4. Salesman in big Buicks.

5. Someone who complains about their cars problems and I know they don't maintain it.

6. Jack rabbit starts from the stop lights. (Easy the first couple seconds!!)

7. Ricers with high rear spoilers, tinted windows, large exhaust, loud music

8. Cars overdone with cheap 'auto accessories' trinkets such as neon wipers, Buick style fender 'vents', 'turbo' stickers etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
And that leads me to today's KMFA moment........ Working on a problem with the wireless and people saying things are 'slow' and they are 'going to walk out and leave if we can't get it fixed'. My reply...... you promise?? I do corporate IT for 29 real estate offices dealing with pc and network issues so I deal with salespeople every day. I love the 'my home network is so much faster than it is here this is pathetic'........ no ****......... your home network has what 1, maybe 2 computers running at a time and everything gets thrown out to the internet no questions asked? There are at any given moment 5-20 users in each office, running 30Mb buisness cable lines going through our VPN with security up the wazoo. Please tell me how they CAN compare? Ignorant people.
OMG I can't STAND those people. If your network is so much better then go home. Seriously. That's less strain on THIS network.

Anyway, one of my biggest car related peeves. People with loud music. Music so loud that you can feel the bass in your car from half a mile away. Just makes me roll my eyes.

Second are the people that floor it in parking lots. Usually while doing the above.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,753 Posts
I don't spin the wheels from a stoplight (usually) but I always accelerate briskly in first gear 'til the upshift to second....'cause that's all I got. Much rather accelerate in my peak horsepower and torque, than upshift to a higher gear and take half the afternoon to get up to 45 or 50. That's where I'll baby the gas pedal.

It's also the best way to avoid all the idiots, get out in front of them. In southwest Florida during high tourist season, picture the Monty Python skit "Twit of the Year."

P.S. Gotta share this, I have mellowed a bit but when my kids were teenagers my middle boy shared his interpretation of Dad's definitions of "idiot" and "moron"......"Idiots are people driving slower than Dad, morons drive faster than Dad."

41 - 60 of 3364 Posts